No announcement yet.

Had surgery!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations, Debbie! You and others who have had their surgery are role models for those of us who are still waiting.

Hi, mgs, my surgery is on August 24 so you and I are in the same boat. The unknown is scary but reading people's post-surgery stories gives me the faith I need to go through with it. Like you, my insurance covers rehab, ambulance, everything. We are really lucky!

We're all in this together!

Karen
    Karen, 66 years "young"
    Polio at 6
    Diagnosed with scoliosis at school; no treatment
    Lumbar curve in 2005: 40; moderate pain
    Lumbar curve in 2009: 55; pain severe
    Lumbar curve after surgery: 21
    Surgeon - Dr. William Lauerman, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
    Three surgeries in one week:
    8/24/09 L3 to S1 anterior spinal fusion with Harm cage
    8/28/09 Posterior spinal fusion from T10 to S1 with instrumentation
    9/1/09 Partial revision of instrumentation

Comment

You'll do great Karen! This is the hardest time of all right now, in that last couple of weeks. Post surgery, you know it will only get better, it's just a matter of time. Keep that in mind and you'll look back and be so pleased you did it, too.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thank you so much for your support, Jennifer. The people on this forum are so compassionate and helpful. A friend of mine who went through the same surgery I am having told me about the forum. I learned today that she has been assigned to me to provide pastoral care through my surgery and recovery. How wonderful is that!

Take care

Karen
        Karen, 66 years "young"
        Polio at 6
        Diagnosed with scoliosis at school; no treatment
        Lumbar curve in 2005: 40; moderate pain
        Lumbar curve in 2009: 55; pain severe
        Lumbar curve after surgery: 21
        Surgeon - Dr. William Lauerman, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
        Three surgeries in one week:
        8/24/09 L3 to S1 anterior spinal fusion with Harm cage
        8/28/09 Posterior spinal fusion from T10 to S1 with instrumentation
        9/1/09 Partial revision of instrumentation

Comment

Originally posted by mgs View Post
          Great to hear from you, and glad all is as well as can be hoped for. . .

So, tell me. . .should I go ahead and keep my surgery date next month, or should I cancel it and run in the opposite direction (the question that I ponder in the wee hours, when I wake up and have my silent freakout about this upcoming experience). . .??????
          just wanted to say that i did the same thing before my surgery. it was ALL that was on my mind and in the early morning hours, doubt would creep into my mind...what can go wrong...and many times i came close to backing out! or pushing my surgery date back...but my support system kept me moving forward, and i am soooo glad that i did it, and in the end, you will too.

recovery was hellacious at times and during THOSE wee hours of the night, i'd lay awake and wonder WHY DID I DO THIS??? but that will pass, i promise!

now i am not awake anymore in the wee hours of the night, because i sleep much, much better! but when i do think about it, i think WOW! I AM SOOO GLAD I DID THAT...and you will get to gloat a little because it takes a very strong person to undergo a scoliosis surgery! best wishes to you!
          .: St@ci :.
          28 years old
          Mama to two daughters
          Diagnosed at 12 with double curves.
          No treatment.
          Decided on surgery 16 years later.
          Thoracic curve - 65
          Lumbar curve- 63
          Surgery was on January 15, 2009.
          Fused T2-L3
          No more curves now!

Happier now than ever!
          http://www.lifeiscrooked.blogspot.com

Comment

oh and to the OP, many best wishes to you and i hope you have a great recovery...get lots of rest, but walk walk walk too!
            28 years old
            Mama to two daughters
            No treatment.
            Thoracic curve - 65
            Lumbar curve- 63
            Fused T2-L3
            No more curves now!

Happier now than ever!

Comment

ease your neves!

Karen,

You will be fine! As twistedmama said, you do have those moments of what the heck did I do....usually in the middle of the night! For me, I cried because I was so overwhelmed that I was so dependent on everyone. Even once I was able to walk around at home and sit in the rocking chair my 17 month old would carry over a little foot stool for me to rest my feet on lol. I can't believe that I am 3 months postop already. You'll look back and there will be so much that you don't even remember from those early weeks.

Hang in there, be positive! After surgery your new life begins....the light at the end of the tunnel......being pain free!
              Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
              50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
              Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
              X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
              Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
              Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
              Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

oh wow, that was so hard on me too..learning to depend on everyone for everything.

prior to the surgery i was a stay-at-home mom to two daughters (they are 7 and 2.5) and i cooked, cleaned, took care of everyone and everything...so when i had the surgery and my grandma had to *ahem* wipe me when i used the restroom, it was a blow to my dignity!! everyone had to do everything for me, and those first 2-3 weeks after getting home was definitely a shocker. i cannot believe how limited you are to do things, how much for granted people take their backs! i am a pro at the log-roll lol and i used my grabber like a 3rd arm, still do!

i feel so at home on this forum talking to others who feel or have felt or who will feel, just like me! hugs to all of you!
                28 years old
                Mama to two daughters
                No treatment.
                Thoracic curve - 65
                Lumbar curve- 63
                Fused T2-L3
                No more curves now!

Happier now than ever!

Comment

Karen, I well remember how scared I was pre-surgery. When I first came to this forum, I felt vulnerable and unsure. The folk here answered all my questions honestly and the more I discovered, the more I felt in control. For me, that was important.

I'm very grateful to the members here, they helped me get through something which turned out to be the best thing I ever did for myself.
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                  X