Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had surgery!

Well Hi Everyone!

Had the surgery on the 6th, came home on the 10th. As all of you already know, I'm still in quite a bit of pain, but it's being managed pretty well. Anyway, this is about all I can tolerate in this chair, just wanted to touch base and let everyone know I was doing well. Will give you more details later. Thanks again for the thoughts and prayers.
    Debbie

surgery

for whenever you can sit up long enuf to read this...please know that you are in my thoughts & prayers...take it slow & dont hesitate to ask for help...

best of luck to you in your healing
    jess

Comment

Great to hear from you, and glad all is as well as can be hoped for. . .

So, tell me. . .should I go ahead and keep my surgery date next month, or should I cancel it and run in the opposite direction (the question that I ponder in the wee hours, when I wake up and have my silent freakout about this upcoming experience). . .??????
      Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
      Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
      Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

surgery

Debbie,

Congratulations that you are finally done. Just remember the first 2 weeks at home are the hardest.....at least for me it was. It's does go by fast though. Before you know it you'll be a few months post op! I am sending get well wishes for you!!!!!!!!!!
        Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
        50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
        Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
        X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
        Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
        Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
        Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by asccbodypro View Post
          Debbie,

Congratulations that you are finally done. Just remember the first 2 weeks at home are the hardest.....at least for me it was. It's does go by fast though. Before you know it you'll be a few months post op! I am sending get well wishes for you!!!!!!!!!!
          I agree that the first 2 weeks were the worst. After that, it just seemed to get a teeny bit better every day. Take care of yourself and get plenty of rest!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Congrats Debbie. The worst is over, and you have much to look forward to. We look forward to hearing all the details.

mgs, I suspect we all felt that way pre-op. I know I did. But we all made it to the hospital and to the OR without turning round and bolting, and you will too!
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Glad to hear you are on the other side. The angst and anxiety are behind you now. The healing can begin and you will slowly be feeling better and better. Take it very easy and get plenty of rest.
              Sally
              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Congratulations!!! you are so lucky! I still have a month of anxiety ahead of me. I want to get it done already!!!
                I'm glad you are home!
                Scoliosis Diagnosed at age 12. Wore Milwaukee brace for 2 years.
                Now age 32
                Pre-op curves: C86-T98-L37
                Surgery date: 12/6/2010 (anterior) 12/10/2010 (posterior)
                Fused T2 to L5 with thoracoplasty.
                Post-op curves: C48-T47-L17
                Dr. Robert Pashman
                Cedars Sinai, Los Angeles, CA
                Before and after xrays :
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...5&d=1292969215

Comment

Debbie,

It only gets better from here! Happy healing.

Lesley
                  Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
                  Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
                  T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
                  Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
                  Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
                  Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
                  Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
                  Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
                  Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

Congrats on the successful surgery! Glad all went well!!

Lynn
                    Lynn -30.... something
                    DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
                    At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
                    At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
                    Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
                    UW Madison, WI Hospital
                    **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Good Luck On your healing Journey!!!
                      Remember, time heals.
                      May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Don't fret it!

Originally posted by mgs View Post
                        Great to hear from you, and glad all is as well as can be hoped for. . .

So, tell me. . .should I go ahead and keep my surgery date next month, or should I cancel it and run in the opposite direction (the question that I ponder in the wee hours, when I wake up and have my silent freakout about this upcoming experience). . .??????
                        Keep the date by all means!! Don't get me wrong, it's not a walk in the park, but I already feel better than before surgery. Some pain is more intense than before, but it's a different type of pain. Knowing what I know now, I'd do it again if I had to. Just like my knee replacement. If I had known then what I know now, I wouldn't have waited so long!
                        Sorry you are having to wait so long. I'm wondering how many of you had to wait extended periods of time? I could have set my surgery date for a week later if I had wanted to, but scheduled it out about 3 weeks to get some things in order pre-surgery. According to several resources, I had one of the top surgeons in my area, so I'm not sure if that is what your delay is.
                        Thanks everyone for all the get well wishes!! I really appreciate them
                        Debbie

Comment

Your words are just what I need to hang in there, as far as my anxiety goes.

Funny, but until relatively recent history, I gave very little thought to my scoliosis, which I've known about since 6th grade. I've told some people about my upcoming surgery, and to my amazement, the usual reaction is a stunned "What?? I never knew you had any back trouble!"

I spoke w/the insurance company on Thurs. The woman was so sweet, and so helpful. I'm now pre-certified for the surgery, and my discharge to the Rehab unit at my local hosp is covered, no problem. . .and she even brought up, before I got to it, that I'm covered for an ambulance ride for the hour between the 2 hospitals, and for any in-home nursing care i might need after I get home. . .and she said that both she and her supervisor wish me well and hope that I have a good recovery.
                          Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25

Comment

mgs,

Sounds like you have a great insurance company there! So many have to fight with them to get what they need. I was so lucky having my surgery done at a military facility that I didn't have to worry about expense. My doc was able to use the most expensive materials that are out there now without having to worry about the insurance company stepping in and putting a cap in the amount of money that was spent. Good luck and trust me, the worse part is leading up to the surgery and your own thoughts getting the best of you. Eventually you will have less pain than what you deal with everyday :O) Hang in! Be positive, it does a body good!
                            Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                            50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                            Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                            X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                            Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                            Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                            Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Thank you all for saying the right things to help me "chill out". . .and to trust that (though yes, it won't be a walk in the park ) it will be bearable.

I finally looked through yesterday's mail late last night and found my pre-cert letter from the insurance co. I haven't spoken with Dr. Tribus since my consult inJune, and have since had my MRI. . .my bending X-rays and labs appt is 8/1, but I learned from my pre-cert letter that he plans to fuse T-6 to T-10 anteriorly, and T-3 to L-3 posteriorly. I'm curious to learn if that plan is open to change, and what this particular fusion means as far as recovery and flexibility.
                              Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25

Comment

Working...
                              X