Pain!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain!!

I know I don't come on here too much, and when I do usually it's to complain about some type of pain or something like that, but I really had to make a thread because I'm at the point of screaming into a pillow right now lol. Over the past few weeks I've been feeling more pain than usual and all of a sudden, over the past three days it's gotten worse and it HURTS!! I really don't know why, but my back is aching and throbbing, and if I move a certain way there is a really sharp pain at one specific area. It's really frustrating to me. I can't exactly say I've been completely pain free since surgery but it was never like this. I can say that in the morning the pain isn't as bad but by midday it starts hurting a lot and by nighttime it is excruciating! And it's really bad timing because this weekend I'm supposed to start work at a banquet facility as a bus person/waitress and if I feel like this I'm kind of in trouble since I'm sure heavy trays with food are not going to help. Anyone have any idea at all what can cause pain like this over a year post-op (I know it's not exactly a ton of time post-op but it's still quite a bit)? Or is this normal overuse pain or maybe the hardware irritating my muscles that I'm gonna have to deal with every day?

Anyway, if I could have some input that would be great. Mille grazie!! =)
    Nicole//18 years old, college sophomore//50 degree thoracolumbar curve//Posterior Spinal Fusion in 2008, Fused T5 to L3

Hi Nicole...

While it could just be a random soft tissue injury, I think it's a good idea to make an appointment with your surgeon to get it checked out.

Hope it goes away soon.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Nicole,

It will be 13 years next month since my surgery and I still get occasional pain. On average I will be have back pain maybe once every two or three months but it is never severe just uncomfortable. My suggestion is get checked out just to make sure its not something wrong but also be aware of your body. I have a few things that if I do this activity I know I will have some pain the next day so try to think back to see if there is any activity that you did before each time you had pain. It can be something that you may not even think would cause it an example is if I go to the Ikea furniture store I know that evening I am going to be in pain and I am pretty sure it is just because of the start and stopping while browsing the store. Another thing that helps some of my pain is I will lay flat on my back on the hard floor and just stretch out that usually makes my back feel better. Hope you feel better soon! Oh yeah and before you start your new waitress job get comfy shoes that will make all the difference with standing for hours at a time.

Comment

Pain

Hi Nicole.

I had my surgery almost 15 years ago, and as Pouncy said, I still get occasional pain too. This is something you get used to.
        The first year after my surgery was the hardest, I had a lot of pain too, The first months, sometimes, I wasn´t able to get up from bed because the pain was too much, but It faded slowly away as time went by.
        You should go to see your doctor just to be sure that everything is ok.

Comment

Hi Nicole

Im a little late here, did your pain subside? If not, you might want to go see your surgeon and shoot a few x-rays.

Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice, I appreciate it.

Pouncy- It sounds like you've been doing really well over the years. I definitely can expect to feel pain every once in a while like you said you do, the problem is I just feel pain every day now. It could be related to my activities, but I just can't pinpoint anything specific. I know what makes the pain ten times worse lol, I just don't know the exact cause. And thanks, I do agree that comfy shoes makes a huge difference lol!

Ed- No, not really. I probably should follow everyone's advice and try to get in and see my surgeon, but things have just been really hectic lately between work and getting everything together for college. Plus I'm kind of stubborn to a fault. I think I'm just waiting to see if it gets better, but right now it's not. Work isn't exactly helping either lol. I'll probably wait a bit longer just to see if anything improves, and then make an appointment if needbe.
            Nicole//18 years old, college sophomore//50 degree thoracolumbar curve//Posterior Spinal Fusion in 2008, Fused T5 to L3

Comment

Working...
            X