Daughter had surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jazzy'smom View Post
    Again thanks for all your replys. Yes she get's percocet and Valiums. I did talk to the doctor and he said she could have 2 percocets if she needs it. She was fused from T-4 to L-1. I know everyone is different and I can't go by other peoples progress. She did seem a little better today. Maybe I'm expecting to much to soon. I can't tell you how much this message board means to me. It's nice to talk to other who are going through the same thing. Here I am still up at 2:15 in the morning because she get a valium at 3:15. I did fall asleep for an hour or so but woke up because I didn't want to miss her pills. I didn't want to set an alarm because I ddin't want to wake up DH since he has to get up early enough for work. Okay I'll let you know how tomorrow goes or today LOL!
    T4-L1 is a long fusion. Our daughters' fusions are very similar--Jamie is fused from T3-L2. I'm glad you are remembering that everyone's recovery is different. Although our daughters' fusions are pretty much the same, their recovery has been very differnt already! I'm glad you are using this forum as a guide and not an exact plan of how your daughter's recovery should be going.

Continue trusting your instincts--if something doesn't seem right, call the doctor. You know your child best and you'll know when it is time to start spacing the pain meds out further and eventuallly when to stop them all together. Is your daughter eating at all? Try to make sure she eats with her pain meds so she doesn't get sick to the stomach. She needs to eat healthy foods and drink TONS of water to avoid getting constipated. Constipation seems to be a big problem with a lot of the narcotic type pain meds.

Hang in there. You are doing a great job!

Mary Lou
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

I thought of you both when I woke up in the night, and wondered how your night was going.

You must be absolutely worn out, emotionally and physically.

I hope today is a "feeling better" day, and that you both get some much needed rest.
      Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
      Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
      Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Hi, Jazzys mum I wonder how you are both doing now. You are doing a wonderful job making sure your daughter gets her meds on time. You must take care of yourself as well though.

Snoopy said watch for constipation and that is just so important as well. If she is constipated that would not help the pain at all either, bless her. All the advice they give on the forum is just wonderful and so glad you are using it as a guideline as you are right, we are all different.

Gosh mums ( and their patients) are very courageous and it does help you all to have a forum such as this to fall back on when needed

Lorraine..
        Operated on in 1966, harrington rods inserted from T4 to L3, here in Australia. Fusion of the said vertebrae as well. Problems for the last 14 years with pain.
        Something I feel deeply,"Life is like money,you can spend it anyway you wish, but can only spend it once.

Comment

I wrote yesterday but it didn't post. Anyway today was a good day. Jazzy's friend is visiting from Colorado and stopped by for a couple of hours. They were doing there hair playing on the computer, looking through there year books and just doing what girls do. It was nice seeing the old jazzy. She left at 4 O'clock and Jazzy ate some chicken, pudding and Graham crackers. It's now 8 PM and she's been asleep since 5 pm. I know the visit took a lot out of her but I think it did her good. This has been the best day for me since the surgery. I love seeing my baby having fun and forgetting the pain. Life is good. I'm doing a happy dance right now. :-)
          I actually got some sleep last night from 1:30 to 9:30. Since hubby got up for work at 4:30 he was able to give her her meds. It felt great!!!
          Thanks for listening. Let's hope tomorrow is another good day. Fingers crossed.

Comment

I wrote a few posts yesterday but they didn't show up as well.

I just said that the Mums on this forum deserve a medal for what they do. I know, you want to, and it comes naturally, but it's hugely stressful and tiring. I said once before, if there's one thing worse than facing this surgery yourself, it's being the Mum of a child facing it.

Here's to all the Mums! <clink>
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

It's good to read happy news! Hope the worst is behind her (and you!) and that you can get some enjoyment out of what's left of the summer!
              Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
              Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
              Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

What a difference a day makes. Jazzy got a shower by herself today. I helped her in and out and dried her off but she washed herself. Friends came over to visit and after they left she went to sleep. Her pain wasn't as bad as it has been. She hasn't had her pills since 2:30 and it now 8:30 of course she's sleeping so I'll wait til she wakes up to see how she's doing. It was hard to believe she'd get better anytime soon but she did. Next step is to get off of the meds because they make her dizzy. Let's hope tomorrow will be even better then today.

Comment

Good news! I can feel your optimism all the way to Queensland. The worst is over.
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Oh Wow, how good is that, so glad for Jazzy and you, her mum. The road to recovery may at last be starting, all the best.

Lorraine.
                    Operated on in 1966, harrington rods inserted from T4 to L3, here in Australia. Fusion of the said vertebrae as well. Problems for the last 14 years with pain.
                    Something I feel deeply,"Life is like money,you can spend it anyway you wish, but can only spend it once.

Comment

That's awesome! Tell her I said keep up the great work! You are both doing a great job.

Mary Lou
                      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

I'm glad she is doing so well!!!

I had to laugh about the birthday! My DD had her surgery the day before her birthday.

It seems there are several of us that had the kids in the hospital over their birthdays. Just struck me as unusual.

I know we did have to change pain meds in the hospital too, not so much for the pain level but because the first ones made her nauseous/dizzy but that was due to not eating a lot.

Basically she ended up on Tylenol 3 and that worked -- not so well the first couple times but then it ended up being fine. I remember when she couldn't have the meds for 6 hours and she would be wanting them at 4. It was definitely a balancing act to find the right combination. She did sleep a LOT in the beginning too -- it didn't take much to wear her out.

I will tell you as of right now 4 months out you would never know she had the surgery. It takes a while -- mine was most definitely NOT one to be ready to go back to school too much before her 6 weeks was up but once she got to that point, she was most definitely ready. It is amazing to see how far they come in what really is a relatively short time considering the type of surgery.
                        Becky
                        Mom to DD (15) with S 48*+ curve
                        Had her surgery March 9, 2009

Comment

Working...
                        X