Chiropractor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chiropractor

Can going to the chiropractor prevent scoliosis from worsening? Do adjustments work? Has anyone noticed a decrease in pain level after going for an extended period of time?

I think the answer to this one will depend on three things (1) experience level of said chiropractor and (2) Patient ability to respond to treatment and (3) who you ask and what their experience has been. I have personally known those who respond very well to treatment and I have also responded very well (immediate decrease in pain). A lot depends upon experience of the caregiver and the condition of the patient ... would recommend looking for one who specializes in scoliosis and who is well credentialed. One would, I think, want to select a chiropractor as carefully as they would select any other health care provider. If you do a Google search for How to Choose a Chiropractor you will find many good answers for that - here is one: http://www.servicegrades.com/articles/choose_a_chiro

Comment

Originally posted by ScoliosisGal View Post
      Can going to the chiropractor prevent scoliosis from worsening? Do adjustments work? Has anyone noticed a decrease in pain level after going for an extended period of time?
      If there is any evidence whatsoever for chiro preventing scoliosis progression, the guy who runs this site would know it:

http://www.fixscoliosis.com/

He used to post here but in that time has never provided evidence chiro can prevent progression. There's probably a reason for that. N.B. he is a chiro, not an orthopedic surgeon.

I think folks have come on here claiming chiro helped with pain, at least temporarily.

Maybe you can join that forum and ask these questions there.

Good luck.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Under Frequently Asked Questions - From the guy who runs this site:

Do you think a chiropractor could help my scoliosis?

For moderate to major curvatures:
        We do not know of any long-term study which shows that chiropractic treatment can stop a moderate (over 25 degrees) or major curve (over 40 degrees) from progressing in the bone growing years. It has been our experience that chiropractors who are knowledgeable about the development of idiopathic scoliosis in children will refer young patients with such curvatures to an orthopedist for a second opinion.

For minor curvatures:
        It is still not clear whether spinal manipulation is effective in controling minor curves (under 20 degrees). Chiropractors do tell us that they have had success but they have not sent us controlled research data to support these claims. On the other hand, the data collected by orthopedists shows that without any form of treatment, 4 out of 5 minor curvatures will not progress beyond 20 degrees. For this reason, orthopedists no longer treat such minor curvatures but they do recommend periodic observation, especially in growing children.

Reference: http://www.scoliosis.org/faq.php

Comment

Scoliosis Journal Study & SOSORT Presentation

There is a group in NYC currently conducting long term studies in conjunction with the use of Spinecor.

Reference: http://www.scoliosisjournal.com/content/2/S1/S23

The times - they are a Changin' ♫ (Peter, Paul & Mary)

Last edited by mamamax; 07-10-2009, 05:55 AM.

Comment

I've tried getting adjustments on a couple different occasions because some people swear so much by their chiropractor. In my opinion, it's a waste of money...especially with scoliosis.

Comment

I have been to four over the years.

#1 - very aggressive (adjusted every bone in my back in one fell swoop) and if I mentioned that maybe my wrist was a bit sore today, he'd just grab it and adjust it without even evaluating first. Did not go long.

# 2 - more gentle, no help

# 3 - had a very specific and gentle approach, adjusting only the segments that were restricted. Felt more flexible for a while after.

# 4 - after having baby, when my ligaments were still loose, I figured that would be the perfect time to have my stiffer areas works on. #4 was also gentle and specific, and I also did back strength exercise after each session. That was the best outcome.

Overall, all of these provided temporary relief, and required that I go back, since I can't adjust myself!

Hope that helps! B.
              Bettina:
              - 34 year old physiotherapist
              - main curve of 3 is mid-thoracic convex, approx 37 d.
              - my goal: to stay as upright, strong and painfree as I can, as long as I can.

Comment

Working...
              X