This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ladies and gentlemen...

Can we agree to not call alternative treatments things like "woo woo" or other terms that are dismissive?

Thanks.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

My suggestion to solve this problem...

This is the second time I'm writing this, as it appears that my post did not actually post....argh....so here's another version of what I tried to post earlier.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I cannot change anyone. I can only change the way I respond. I could never "win" an arguement with a person who is hostile, arrogant, and has a rabid desire to be right all the time.

In fact, trying to argue with such a person literally feeds his or her need to be superior. Continuing to respond to that person actually gives the aggressor permission to continue. It is, in fact, positive reinforcement.

I suggest a technique that I, and perhaps you, have found useful when training dogs or children:

Reward good behaviour (informative, thoughtful posts or constructive critique delivered with respect) with "thank you for your input, you helped me understand that better"

Do not reward bad behaviour (insults to your intelligence or beliefs, suggestions that you don't want to know facts) with a response at all. Or reply once alone to inform the person that you will not be drawn into a fruitless arguement.

If you do not reply, the aggressor will have no one to talk to, and will lose his or her power. (and really, is there not more to life than being the alpha dog of a web forum?). Take back your power folks, by changing your strategies to get the outcome - a useful non-surgical forum - you desire.
      Bettina:
      - 34 year old physiotherapist
      - main curve of 3 is mid-thoracic convex, approx 37 d.
      - my goal: to stay as upright, strong and painfree as I can, as long as I can.

Comment

Thanks for the excellent advice, Betty. That is a profoundly insightful post. I'll henceforth pay no attention to those who deserve no attention.
        Last edited by Writer; 07-03-2009, 02:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dingo View Post
          Here is a gem from PNUTTRO.

#111 from this thread

Check out what set PNUTTRO off in the first place. I posted a simple chart on Polio. How does this atmosphere help parents or children with Scoliosis?

This board is not well moderated.
          When you find specific posts that you feel are out of bounds, please report them by clicking on the white triangle with red outline. Please do not report posts just because you don't agree with the logic (not-mentioning-any-names-MM... oops).
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Dingo View Post
            To be fair to txmarinemom she's not the only one who resorts to personal attacks and bullying. PNUTTRO, Karen Ocker and LindaRacine do the same thing. Pooka1 argues A LOT but I can't remember her throwing too many direct insults.
            If I have ever been disrespectful of someone's personality or character, I apologize. I try very hard not to do that (even though I may occasionally think it). Please note that I did apologize the one time that I stepped over the line Dingo. If anyone finds such posts, please report them.

--Linda

Comment

Originally posted by Writer View Post

Pooka pontificates about science as though she were Einstein. But she does not write with the precision of a top scientist.
              And... that's respectful?

Comment

Originally posted by betty14 View Post
                This is the second time I'm writing this, as it appears that my post did not actually post....argh....so here's another version of what I tried to post earlier.
                -
                Betty

Your post was there, I read it. Mine, yours and whoever else mentioned the "R" word were deleted.

Linda

I do respect your opinion and have more than once sought out your advice, but I too get the feeling there is favoritism here. You had previously banned anyone from discussing religion a while back, yet I've seen Pooka rant on about young creationist since that time. Why is she allowed to get away with this? Since we are censoring the content of this forum, does that mean we're not allowed to discuss anything outside of scoliosis? That's the implication I'm getting, yet, I just saw 1/2 a page on horses, had absolutely nothing to do with scoliosis. Is that ok? Where do we draw the line?

Comment

Originally posted by Sherie View Post
                  Betty

Your post was there, I read it. Mine, yours and whoever else mentioned the "R" word were deleted.

Linda

I do respect your opinion and have more than once sought out your advice, but I too get the feeling there is favoritism here. You had previously banned anyone from discussing religion a while back, yet I've seen Pooka rant on about young creationist since that time. Why is she allowed to get away with this? Since we are censoring the content of this forum, does that mean we're not allowed to discuss anything outside of scoliosis? That's the implication I'm getting, yet, I just saw 1/2 a page on horses, had absolutely nothing to do with scoliosis. Is that ok? Where do we draw the line?
                  I don't have time to read every post. If you see a post about religion, please report it.

If I recall correctly, Pooka's posts had to do with balance. There are plenty of posts that are not scoliosis specific. Religion is different, because people have such diverse opinions, and may get offended by other's views.

Again, if you see something that you feels is outside the limits of decency, PLEASE REPORT IT~

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                    Again, if you see something that you feels is outside the limits of decency, PLEASE REPORT IT~
                    I will, from this point forward, though I'm not one to jump on everything someone says to suit my taste. I would hope that as adults, we can all play be the same rules and censor our own comments. Throwing in a little compassion and humanity doesn't hurt either.

Comment

Ladies and gentlemen...

Can we agree to not call alternative treatments things like "woo woo" or other terms that are dismissive?

Thanks.

Regards,
                      Linda
                      Thank you, this is very demeaning and exactly the point trying to be made.

Comment

Writer, you have been a member of this forum since 2004 and only written what was it 133 posts, so that shows you really don't put a lot down in words eh.
                        Then out of the blue comes this thread. Were you having a bad hair day???

Attacking Linda of all people, she is a big girl and can stand up for herself, and she has helped me no end, I haven't seen you send me any messages of encouragement like she has and so have others you have criticized. She is an excellent moderator who does her best on a huge forum so for crying out loud get onto things that actually mean something, instead of stabbing people in the back.
                        Those of you who believe in alternate treatments get so upset when we don't agree with you. What upsets me more than anything and I have said it before. It is not right to state on here that this alternate treatment works, and that does and this does and so on and so on. People like Pam and Sharon( where on earth you ever got Karen Ocker into all this Dingo I don't know, as Karen is hardly around here posting any more,) anyway people like I have mentioned just state the facts, not things that have not yet been proven to work.
                        Now surely that is a good thing as young people who have scoliosis read all this and surely you don't want them to be mislead.
                        Debate is good, has always been good, is good to read so are the facts that debate brings out.
                        Anyway that's it from me and I am sorry for the people who have actually been named in my post, I meant nothing derogatory against them I was just trying to point out a few things.

I am still trying to work out how mamamax got a copy of a visitors message to Joe O"Brien, forgotten which post it said it on now, thought that should have been private. You don't have to watch Days of our Lives, just lets all get on NSF!!

Lorraine..
                        Last edited by Lorraine 1966; 07-03-2009, 02:50 AM.
                        Operated on in 1966, harrington rods inserted from T4 to L3, here in Australia. Fusion of the said vertebrae as well. Problems for the last 14 years with pain.
                        Something I feel deeply,"Life is like money,you can spend it anyway you wish, but can only spend it once.

Comment

Ladies and gentlemen...

Thanks.

Regards,
                          Linda
                          I agree.

(text added because the message was too short to post)
                          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Sherie View Post
                            Since we are censoring the content of this forum, does that mean we're not allowed to discuss anything outside of scoliosis? That's the implication I'm getting, yet, I just saw 1/2 a page on horses, had absolutely nothing to do with scoliosis. Is that ok? Where do we draw the line?
                            You have to read/understand the thread. Riding (not horses as you state) is used as a useful example of a concept that is relevant to scoliosis. I specifically wrote that post as an extension of an earlier thread on that scoliosis subject. It's important to follow along if you are going to comment as you have.

If you are also referring to the post where I was specifically asked about things that can help a scoliotic person learn to ride then you should direct your comment at the person who asked me or ask Linda to remove the post. I'm not sure I helped her but at least I tried.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

volunteer moderator

I think we have to remember that Linda is a volunteer. Even if she was paid, it's hard to imagine it would ever be enough to deal with this forum.

Folks should step up to the plate and take control of what they read instead of trying to take control of what others write. If everyone did that then we wouldn't need a moderator.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Lorraine - You may be missing the point entirely. Firstly you question Writers credibility based upon the fact that since 2004 he has only made 133 postings? My goodness, Joseph O'Brien has only made 32 since 2003. Would you then also question his credibility? A faulty premise i suggest. To accuse Writer of having a bad hair day .. another example of mocking .. though i will admit trying to straighten things out in this forum may make one's hair stand on end.

You may be missing the point also about the purpose of this forum - which is support for families and patients in whatever treatment they choose. NOT debate over it. Let me put forth a question. Would those choosing surgery expect to be required to debate its merits? No. Why then should those who choose non surgical methods be subjected to endless debate?

Perhaps a separate section should be opened up for debate ... that may solve a host of problems and allow those skilled in the art of debate to polish their skills. But certainly a non surgical section designed to offer the same support people in the surgical section are granted - should not be turned into a debate section - any more than the surgical section should be turned into a debate section.

You have questioned how I obtained certain information. It is public information found here under Joe's profile: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/member.php?u=114

In your last paragraph you state: You don't have to watch Days of our Lives, just lets all get on NSF!!

This is true in the non-surgical section only. The surgical section has no problem in enjoying a certain freedom to express themselves void of confrontational debate. The non-surgical section is - respectfully asking for the same luxury.

Comment

Working...
                                X