Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31

Thread: Strengthening one side/Stretching other side

  1. #16
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    31
    You may want to check with the Scoliosis Rehab Center in Stevens Point, WI. The practice Schroth exclusively. Your health insurance may very well cover it. Ours did.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by dailystrength View Post
    Thank you so much, Miss Emmy, for recommending the Scroth. In what part of the country do you live? I found one in Mass. but it's over $4000-- it would be nice to be able to spend less $$. I take it you learned it from a practitoner and not a book? I'd be happy to buy her book but learning in-person is helpful. Thanks, Christina
    Hi there:
    I have been working from the book for several months, but am still going to see a Schroth therapist in person in August.
    The book is a text book meant for PT's to learn the method, so it would be pretty hard for a non-therapist to really fully understand and use it IMO.
    B.
    Bettina:
    - 34 year old physiotherapist
    - main curve of 3 is mid-thoracic convex, approx 37 d.
    - my goal: to stay as upright, strong and painfree as I can, as long as I can.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Chelsea, MI
    Posts
    49
    Our insurance didn't cover Scoliosis Rehab in Stevens Point so we paid privately, but one woman who was there when we were just came for one week because her insurance would only pay that amount. She planned to come back the next year to learn more. Maybe you could go at least a week to learn basic principles, practice them, then go back if you can afford more at a later date. Private pay was a little less than ~$2500/week when we went. It was a great experience at Beth Janssen's clinic - that's why I'm going off to Germany in September to learn the skills myself...

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by dailystrength View Post
    Thank you so much, Miss Emmy, for recommending the Scroth. In what part of the country do you live? I found one in Mass. but it's over $4000-- it would be nice to be able to spend less $$. I take it you learned it from a practitoner and not a book? I'd be happy to buy her book but learning in-person is helpful. Thanks, Christina
    I live in CT. Since there were no Schroth practitioners in CT the closest to me was MA...there were two practitioners there (Dr. Moramarco & Christine Sharkey), and I ended up going with Dr. Mormarco. Overall, it wasn't too expensive, and it was money well spent. Plus, it was only a one time thing, and not much maintenance is needed. I'm going back to see him again in Aug. for a 3 month check in just to make sure I'm doing my exercises correctly, possibly learn a couple more poses, etc. If you'd like to know more about the cost, please feel free to PM me.

    Also, I have the Schroth book, and although I enjoyed looking at the photos and reading it, it's hard to comprehend if you're not a PT! I really needed someone to examine me fully and then SHOW ME STEP BY STEP exactly what I should be doing!

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by SLS View Post
    You may want to check with the Scoliosis Rehab Center in Stevens Point, WI. The practice Schroth exclusively. Your health insurance may very well cover it. Ours did.
    Yes, it totally depends on your health insurance, but it also totally depends on how the schroth facility submits their billing. I researched Scoliosis Rehab Center in WI before learning that Dr. Moramarco was way closer to me. They used "normal" physical therapy codes for their billing, so that was awesome because it was able to be covered by insurance. However, that facility was out of network for my insurance, so I would have had a $2,000 deductible to meet first before any coverage kicked in. Plus, I would have had travel and lodging costs.

    Dr. Moramarco was also out of network for me (unfortunately no one would have been in network for me since I live in CT, and there are no Schroth practitioners in CT). The codes his facility uses are termed "back specific school" instead of normal physical therapy codes, so no insurance companies cover that particular code. Therefore, I just paid his normal hourly charge.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by gardenjen View Post
    Our insurance didn't cover Scoliosis Rehab in Stevens Point so we paid privately, but one woman who was there when we were just came for one week because her insurance would only pay that amount. She planned to come back the next year to learn more. Maybe you could go at least a week to learn basic principles, practice them, then go back if you can afford more at a later date. Private pay was a little less than ~$2500/week when we went. It was a great experience at Beth Janssen's clinic - that's why I'm going off to Germany in September to learn the skills myself...
    That's good to know. Also, depending on where you go, you may not be required to go for the "recommended" amount of time. It's at least something to question.

    After having my initial consultation, I told my practitioner that I felt I knew lots about my back already, that I was confident I'd catch on quickly, that I was in a tough financial situation, etc...so we agreed to do only 2 days of treatment...4 hours each day one-on-one. don't get me wrong, there was a lot to take in and cram in in those 2 days, but it was possible. and, 2 full weeks would have been a waste of money for me.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    160
    also, I got a DVD of me doing the exercises to take home with me...this is extremely helpful.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    19
    Ok I've been hearing a lot about this Scroth method on here and I don't mean to sound negative but I doubt this thing actually works. Its only available in 2 places, one in Wisconsin and one near the bay area in California. But if it was as good as everyone claims, they would expand it to Los Angeles, NYC, or other major cities. I live in LA and am not willing to travel that far and pay $4000 for something that I don't even know works. They even told me that most insurance companies don't cover it because they say that you can go to any local PT. They told me you really have to fight to get your insurance to cover it. They would make more business if they expanded it to a major city, not some middle-of-nowhere place in Wisconsin. A lot of people aren't willing to travel. Plus you can't believe everything you read on here, you don't really know who is telling the truth and who isn't.
    Last edited by ScoliosisGal; 07-30-2009 at 12:29 PM.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoliosisGal View Post
    Ok I've been hearing a lot about this Scroth method on here and I don't mean to sound negative but I doubt this thing actually works. Its only available in 2 places, one in Wisconsin and one near the bay area in California. But if it was as good as everyone claims, they would expand it to Los Angeles, NYC, or other major cities. I live in LA and am not willing to travel that far and pay $4000 for something that I don't even know works. They even told me that most insurance companies don't cover it because they say that you can go to any local PT. They told me you really have to fight to get your insurance to cover it. They would make more business if they expanded it to a major city, not some middle-of-nowhere place in Wisconsin. A lot of people aren't willing to travel. Plus you can't believe everything you read on here, you don't really know who is telling the truth and who isn't.
    It's definitely available in more than 2 places. I know of at least 10 places in the United States alone. Also, I guess it depends on what your definition of "works" means. I'm not claiming that I've reduced my adult curves. All I've said is that it's a great exercise regimen for me that targets the imbalances in my muscles caused by my scoliosis (it has helped my pain tremendously and has also helped my posture a lot). Also, it didn't cost me anywhere close to $4,000. And lastly, I've gone to plenty of traditional PTs and didn't find them very helpful.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    19
    So are their any Schroth practitioners in LA? I'm willing to try it. There is zero information about where to find schroth practitioners online. You would think something that works so well would be more widely available.
    Last edited by ScoliosisGal; 07-30-2009 at 01:19 PM.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoliosisGal View Post
    So are their any Schroth practitioners in LA? I'm willing to try it. There is zero information about where to find schroth practitioners online. You would think something that works so well would be more widely available.
    No, unfortunately I don't think there are any in the LA. Here is a link that shows all the practitioners in the US and in other countries:
    http://www.schroth-skoliosebehandlun...peuten_eng.pdf

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    160
    I've actually spoken with someone on this forum who went to Beatriz Torres in Palo Alto, CA. If you're interested in speaking with her I can forward you her email address if I can find it...

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by MissEmmyF View Post
    I've actually spoken with someone on this forum who went to Beatriz Torres in Palo Alto, CA. If you're interested in speaking with her I can forward you her email address if I can find it...
    Did this person have a good experience? For me the pain is pretty mild, I'm more interested in correcting my posture. One of my hips is higher than the other and I'm wondering if it can help with this.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoliosisGal View Post
    Did this person have a good experience? For me the pain is pretty mild, I'm more interested in correcting my posture. One of my hips is higher than the other and I'm wondering if it can help with this.
    Yes, they did have a good experience. As for having one hip higher than the other and wondering if Schroth can "help" with this, that's a tough question for me to answer. You may be able to gain a better aesthetic look, but any good Schroth practitioner won't tell you that they can reduce adult curves (especially if you have wedging of your vertebrae that is causing one hip to be higher than the other). Their main goal in adults is to improve lung capacity, improve functioning, reduce pain, and improve posture.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    150
    It's very common in scoliosis for one hip to be shifted laterally outward. This and general posture are some of the main things that Schroth therapy focuses on correcting.
    Last edited by Writer; 07-31-2009 at 02:05 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •