Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lung problems after surgery?

Hi everyone,
    I was curious, have any of you who have had the scoliosis surgery experienced lung problems? I've been having some lung problems lately... I've been weezing and having chest pains and back pains. I visited the doctor yesterday and he said that the surgery I had for scoliosis could be causing this.. have any of you experienced this after the surgery?
    [[hailey]]

16 years old
    Had spinal fusion surgery on Jan. 30th, 2008 with Dr. Howard King at St. Luke's Children's Hospital in Boise
    Pre surgery: 52º Lumbar curve and 25º Thoracic curve

Hi Hayley,

You are nearly 18 months post op so I doubt it is the surgery that is causing these problems. Sounds like a chest infection from a cold or flu virus to me. Did your doctor listen to your lungs? Are you feeling generally unwell?

Perhaps others have experienced this and can help you more than I.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Jennifer,
      My doctor did listen to my lungs, but he said that since my back is so straight, it could be causing me to have problems breathing.
      [[hailey]]

16 years old
      Had spinal fusion surgery on Jan. 30th, 2008 with Dr. Howard King at St. Luke's Children's Hospital in Boise
      Pre surgery: 52º Lumbar curve and 25º Thoracic curve

Comment

Sorry I can't be of more help Hailey, but that's got me stumped.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

This is just me thinking, maybe you're not breathing as deeply as you should, are you "guarding" because of your back? Otherwise, it seems unlikely that the surgery could directly be causing problems this late. Other thoughts are allergies, asthma, cold, etc.

Do you still have your incentive spirometer from surgery? Maybe you could use that for a while and see if it helps.

Comment

Working...
          X