Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New from Ottawa, Canada

Hi all,

I've been reading this forum for a while. My 10 month old son has IIS. He was diagnosed in March (37 degrees, RVAD 25). In June they did the MRI and found nothing (thankfully!). They suspected a tethered cord but it looks like it's only fat at the end of the spinal cord. We'll see the neurosurgeon soon.

So, his ortho in Ottawa was going to put him in a brace but I convinced him to do a cast. However, he doesn't seem to be planning to do serial casting. He mentioned keeping the cast for three ot four months and then moving to a breace to allow growth. The first cast is scheduled for August 14th.

I have some questions for anybody who has gone through this:

- I contacted the Hospital for Sick Kids in Toronto, they said they'd do serial casting but i need a referal. I'll try to get it tomorrow. Any experiences from that hospital?

- Aren't the holes in the cast designed to allow growth?

- Does anybody know of other places in Canada that could do this? Toronto works for me but just in case. I heard about Shrinners in Montreal. Anybody's gone there?

- They haven't done an X-Ray again since March. I think the curve is ok but the rotation seems worse. Should I try to move faster?

- Has anybody with RVAD 25 got good results with casting? We are scared :-(

Thanks everybody.... I think I had more questions, but I'll remember later :-)

Best answer I can give is a reference:

http://www.infantilescoliosis.org

Good luck with your child.

Comment

I can't really help you with answers to the casting issues but I just wanted to say my son had his surgery at Sick Kids two years ago. His doctor there is great and I have heard nothing but good about the other doctors. They also have some good doctors at Macmaster but not really sure if they have much experience with infants. My guess is that if you can get into Sick Kids that is your best option in Ontario. If you have any specific questions about Sick Kicks feel free to PM me.

Ramona
      mom of Patrick, age 15 at time of surgery
      diagnosed July 2006 curves T58 L 38

Nov. 2006 curves T72 L38
      also lordoscoliosis

feb.2007 curves T79 L43

Surgery May 16 2007
      fused T4 to L1

Comment

Working...
      X