9 days post-op. Now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9 days post-op. Now what?

My 17 year old daughter is 9 days post-op scoliosis surgery and I am so thankful that she is doing really well. I am just amazed at how well she is doing this early after such a major surgery. My question is a general "what now?" Any advice from those who have been through this would be welcomed. She has her first post-op appt. in 10 days. What questions do I need to ask? Are there any things I need to watchful for and of?

Congratulations on her doing so well.

I have found there really wasn't much to do after the surgery. It felt kind of odd as you had lots to do with getting ready for the surgery.

Other than be a nag for not bending, lifting & twisting. I had to help her change positions and things but I'm sure it's stuff you are already doing.

I think I asked weight lifting restrictions because I thought it was about 5 pounds from everything I read but the paper we got home said 15 & I was perplexed. Turns out it was 20 pounds max. until her 3 month visit.

After surgery, I just found it was a lot of just waiting for time to pass so we got to the next mark. The first 3 months had times where it seemed long for us just because of so much restriction and by the end Carolyn was feeling perfectly fine but still restricted. Carolyn did have a lot of shoulder pain, so we did ask about that at her first check-up. Nothing much to do about it but it was basically just from actually USING the muscles since it did tend to hurt more after her tutoring sessions where she was writing a lot and the muscles just getting back to normal. By 3 months, she hasn't had that pain anymore at all.
    Becky
    Mom to DD (15) with S 48*+ curve
    Had her surgery March 9, 2009

Comment

I'm with you! Now all I can do is nag and tell her to use her common sense. I'm not so sure high school freshman have common sense! She put on her toe shoes the other night and I almost came unglued! I'll be so happy when these first few months are over. She feels good enough to do almost everything! She seems to have plenty of energy too. We traveled to our post op and she was able to spend the day before shopping. It has only been 4 weeks since her surgery! She told me she wants to run and do a back bend! NO WAY! She is scaring me!
      Becky

Comment

Working...
      X