Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Non-Surgical Scoliosis Forum

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    160

    Non-Surgical Scoliosis Forum

    Many of you may already know about this forum, but I just recently found out about and joined, so I figured I'd pass the word on. Here is the link for anyone who is interested:

    http://www.fixscoliosis.com/forum/index.php

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    7,187
    And, since it appears they aren't approving membership for anyone who might want to debate some of the really ridiculous statements I've seen there, those who want to blindly believe everything they hear, will be very happy there.

    --Linda

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    9,298
    You know, it really saddened me to read FixScoliosis's forum.

    His posts here are almost uniformly rational and reasonable. I had thought he was on top of the literature.

    But going over there, I see rampant misinformation and "blind leading the blind leading the naked" type posts.

    An example is the "Emily Litella" post I pointed out. It was crystal clear that ALL the folks involved in that thread thought 15% of all rods going in NOW using ALL approaches TODAY break. They clearly had no idea that was an old issue that was COMPLETELY resolved within an approach that only a vanishingly small number of surgeons are doing these days (though it is promising) that HAS NO BEARING on the BULK of surgeries being preformed now and in the past.

    I was shocked that Fix would post it in such a misleading fashion and that he in fact mislead everyone there who posted. I still think he is one of the good guy chiros who are honest but I hope I'm not wrong about that. We'll see.
    Last edited by Pooka1; 06-22-2009 at 03:10 PM.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

    No island of sanity.

    Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine


    "We are all African."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by LindaRacine View Post
    And, since it appears they aren't approving membership for anyone who might want to debate some of the really ridiculous statements I've seen there, those who want to blindly believe everything they hear, will be very happy there.

    --Linda
    What do you mean they aren't "approving" membership? I figured anyone who wanted to become a member could become a member...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    7,187
    Quote Originally Posted by MissEmmyF View Post
    What do you mean they aren't "approving" membership? I figured anyone who wanted to become a member could become a member...
    I never received the email with the verification code needed to complete the membership.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by LindaRacine View Post
    I never received the email with the verification code needed to complete the membership.
    Hmmm, interesting...I guess it would be good to have other people try to become members then too to see if it happens to anyone else...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    7,187
    Quote Originally Posted by MissEmmyF View Post
    Hmmm, interesting...I guess it would be good to have other people try to become members then too to see if it happens to anyone else...
    Maybe Sharon can try, using her Pooka1 ID.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    84
    That fourm is AWESOME!!!
    It is very very new so don't expect the amoutn of posts and members you do ehre for a bit.
    I was like the 8th member to join!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    9,298
    Quote Originally Posted by S4Sarah View Post
    That fourm is AWESOME!!!
    Do you have some sense of the correctness of the information posted there? If not, how can you know if it is awesome or not?

    My definition of awesome is a place where very knowledgeable people post a lot. Fix's site is too new to meet that criteria but is off to a less than stellar start. At a minimum, the blind leading the blind stuff should be nipped in the bud... maybe surgical issues shouldn't be discussed at all if nobody knows what the heck they are talking about as seems to be the case to date.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

    No island of sanity.

    Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine


    "We are all African."

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    84
    It's a really nice site, the doctors who started it are really nice too, and knowledgable and cutting edge.

    I don't know fi any of you ahve seen the movie Lorenzo's Oil, but even though it is about ALD the same things are happening with Scoliosis. As it is important to research and test treatments there is a such thing as over testing. In the movie Lorenzo's Oil Lorenzo Odone is dying from a genetic disorder called Adrenoleukodystrophy. When his parents are told there is nothing they can do about it except put him on a diet that doesn't help his parents are not one bit happy. They go out researching with scientists for a treatment and come up with Lorenzo's Oil. They give it to Lorenzo and it works (he ends up living to be an adult, usually boys diagnsoed with ALD live only a couple years passed their diagnosis) however when the parents go to an ALD conference people say "There is not enough research into this we can onyl listen to the scientists." These boys are dying from ALD, they can't wait!!!
    People with Scoliosis can't wait either, some serious curves can cause serious problems and and curves in growing children can get much worse, some higher curves can even progress after growth! We can't keep relying on old treatments that may nto be the best. Treatments like Spinecor have actually been around since the late 1980's and early 1990's. There are many other treatments like CLEAR Institute, different methods, PT, special exercises, etc.
    We need to research better treatments at a faster rate.

    Doctors push surgery, in some rare cases like 100 degree curves it is sometimes the only option. Most cases however can be prevented from getting worse, and corrected without surgery. I like the fourm because I know from toher forms people get on with a 25 degree curve saying "I;m wearing a hard brace I'm afraid I'll ahve to get surgery" It is really discouraging for those people to ahve a thread right below saying "I'm getting surgery next week" I like Dr. Kalla's idea of another fourm. At first I was like "There are so many fourms for Scoliosis!" Then I relized how necessary it is to have a seperate non surgical fourm.

    Dr. Kalla has some great views on Scoliosis treatment, he is very knowledgable and as I said above cutting edge. He posts some very interesting articles a lot of doctors probably never heard of.

    Yeah it is very new and with all starting websites they need time to bloom. They all start out small and grow over the years.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    9,298
    Quote Originally Posted by S4Sarah View Post

    (snip breathless posting)

    I like Dr. Kalla's idea of another forum. At first I was like "There are so many forums for Scoliosis!" Then I realized how necessary it is to have a separate non surgical forum.
    It is honest to have a forum to provide a location for the latest in alternative treatments for scoliosis. It is DIShonest to post ignorant irrelevant fallacious misrepresented comments about surgery in an effort to cover up the lack of evidence for alternative treatments. Do you see the difference?

    A well-known group with a very ignorant idea of the age of the earth uses that tactic because they have no positive evidence for their claim. If you use that tactic in supporting alternative treatments, it is tantamount to admitting there is no positive evidence for them. Now is that what Fix's forum intends? I think not.

    Dr. Kalla has some great views on Scoliosis treatment, he is very knowledgeable and as I said above cutting edge.
    He may be knowledgeable about chiro (because he is a chiro not a surgeon) but he has proven he doesn't know the basics about surgery. He has no training in surgery so that is forgivable but then he shouldn't post misleading comments that make others ignorant also.

    He posts some very interesting articles a lot of doctors probably never heard of.
    Okay where is the Candid Camera?

    If doctors never heard of the articles Fix likes then there is a very good reason. Can you guess what it is? HINT: It has nothing to do with Fix's supposed prowess in finding cutting edge articles.
    Last edited by Pooka1; 06-22-2009 at 06:37 PM.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

    No island of sanity.

    Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine


    "We are all African."

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    7,187
    Sharon...

    I think it's a lost cause. Maybe we should encourage it.

    --Linda

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    9,298
    Quote Originally Posted by LindaRacine View Post
    Sharon...

    I think it's a lost cause. Maybe we should encourage it.

    --Linda
    I don't know. Should we care if Fix's forum becomes a refuge for folks hiding from facts? I don't think we can stop it but I feel sorry for folks who are already afraid of surgery but may need it and then they go there and get the wits scared out of them for no reason using lies.

    What can you say?
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

    No island of sanity.

    Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine


    "We are all African."

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,251
    Quote Originally Posted by S4Sarah View Post
    It's a really nice site, the doctors who started it are really nice too, and knowledgable and cutting edge.

    I don't know fi any of you ahve seen the movie Lorenzo's Oil, but even though it is about ALD the same things are happening with Scoliosis. As it is important to research and test treatments there is a such thing as over testing. In the movie Lorenzo's Oil Lorenzo Odone is dying from a genetic disorder called Adrenoleukodystrophy. When his parents are told there is nothing they can do about it except put him on a diet that doesn't help his parents are not one bit happy. They go out researching with scientists for a treatment and come up with Lorenzo's Oil. They give it to Lorenzo and it works (he ends up living to be an adult, usually boys diagnsoed with ALD live only a couple years passed their diagnosis) however when the parents go to an ALD conference people say "There is not enough research into this we can onyl listen to the scientists." These boys are dying from ALD, they can't wait!!!
    People with Scoliosis can't wait either, some serious curves can cause serious problems and and curves in growing children can get much worse, some higher curves can even progress after growth! We can't keep relying on old treatments that may nto be the best. Treatments like Spinecor have actually been around since the late 1980's and early 1990's. There are many other treatments like CLEAR Institute, different methods, PT, special exercises, etc.
    We need to research better treatments at a faster rate.

    Doctors push surgery, in some rare cases like 100 degree curves it is sometimes the only option. Most cases however can be prevented from getting worse, and corrected without surgery. I like the fourm because I know from toher forms people get on with a 25 degree curve saying "I;m wearing a hard brace I'm afraid I'll ahve to get surgery" It is really discouraging for those people to ahve a thread right below saying "I'm getting surgery next week" I like Dr. Kalla's idea of another fourm. At first I was like "There are so many fourms for Scoliosis!" Then I relized how necessary it is to have a seperate non surgical fourm.

    Dr. Kalla has some great views on Scoliosis treatment, he is very knowledgable and as I said above cutting edge. He posts some very interesting articles a lot of doctors probably never heard of.

    Yeah it is very new and with all starting websites they need time to bloom. They all start out small and grow over the years.
    Sarah - if i were your mom i would be so proud of you! A few comments have been made in this thread about the Art of Rhetoric and Critical Thinking (which some seem to believe is the art of criticizing :-) I see in you wonderful abilities in both areas - making you wise beyond your years. Critical Thinking was my favorite subject in college and i think you will excel in it. Some fun links i found today:

    The Art of Rhetoric
    Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
    http://www.rpi.edu/dept/llc/webclass...oject1/group4/

    Guide to Critical Thinking
    College of the Siskiyous
    http://www.siskiyous.edu/class/guid5...re%20Week3.htm

    And this one is best! http://www.criticalthinking.org/

    I remember Lorenzo's Oil - great movie. Think i will rent it and re-watch this weekend. All the very best to you in your journey my dear!



    Last edited by mamamax; 06-23-2009 at 07:47 PM. Reason: added link

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •