Non-Surgical Scoliosis Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-Surgical Scoliosis Forum

Many of you may already know about this forum, but I just recently found out about and joined, so I figured I'd pass the word on. Here is the link for anyone who is interested:

http://www.fixscoliosis.com/forum/index.php

And, since it appears they aren't approving membership for anyone who might want to debate some of the really ridiculous statements I've seen there, those who want to blindly believe everything they hear, will be very happy there.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

You know, it really saddened me to read FixScoliosis's forum.

His posts here are almost uniformly rational and reasonable. I had thought he was on top of the literature.

But going over there, I see rampant misinformation and "blind leading the blind leading the naked" type posts.

An example is the "Emily Litella" post I pointed out. It was crystal clear that ALL the folks involved in that thread thought 15% of all rods going in NOW using ALL approaches TODAY break. They clearly had no idea that was an old issue that was COMPLETELY resolved within an approach that only a vanishingly small number of surgeons are doing these days (though it is promising) that HAS NO BEARING on the BULK of surgeries being preformed now and in the past.

I was shocked that Fix would post it in such a misleading fashion and that he in fact mislead everyone there who posted. I still think he is one of the good guy chiros who are honest but I hope I'm not wrong about that. We'll see.
      Last edited by Pooka1; 06-22-2009, 03:10 PM.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
        And, since it appears they aren't approving membership for anyone who might want to debate some of the really ridiculous statements I've seen there, those who want to blindly believe everything they hear, will be very happy there.

--Linda
        What do you mean they aren't "approving" membership? I figured anyone who wanted to become a member could become a member...

Comment

Originally posted by MissEmmyF View Post
          What do you mean they aren't "approving" membership? I figured anyone who wanted to become a member could become a member...
          I never received the email with the verification code needed to complete the membership.
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I never received the email with the verification code needed to complete the membership.
            Hmmm, interesting...I guess it would be good to have other people try to become members then too to see if it happens to anyone else...

Comment

Originally posted by MissEmmyF View Post
              Hmmm, interesting...I guess it would be good to have other people try to become members then too to see if it happens to anyone else...
              Maybe Sharon can try, using her Pooka1 ID.

Comment

Maybe Sharon can try, using her Pooka1 ID.
                Eh, I can try but not sure I have the stomach to post there.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

That fourm is AWESOME!!!
                  It is very very new so don't expect the amoutn of posts and members you do ehre for a bit.
                  I was like the 8th member to join!

Comment

Originally posted by S4Sarah View Post
                    That fourm is AWESOME!!!
                    Do you have some sense of the correctness of the information posted there? If not, how can you know if it is awesome or not?

My definition of awesome is a place where very knowledgeable people post a lot. Fix's site is too new to meet that criteria but is off to a less than stellar start. At a minimum, the blind leading the blind stuff should be nipped in the bud... maybe surgical issues shouldn't be discussed at all if nobody knows what the heck they are talking about as seems to be the case to date.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

It's a really nice site, the doctors who started it are really nice too, and knowledgable and cutting edge.

I don't know fi any of you ahve seen the movie Lorenzo's Oil, but even though it is about ALD the same things are happening with Scoliosis. As it is important to research and test treatments there is a such thing as over testing. In the movie Lorenzo's Oil Lorenzo Odone is dying from a genetic disorder called Adrenoleukodystrophy. When his parents are told there is nothing they can do about it except put him on a diet that doesn't help his parents are not one bit happy. They go out researching with scientists for a treatment and come up with Lorenzo's Oil. They give it to Lorenzo and it works (he ends up living to be an adult, usually boys diagnsoed with ALD live only a couple years passed their diagnosis) however when the parents go to an ALD conference people say "There is not enough research into this we can onyl listen to the scientists." These boys are dying from ALD, they can't wait!!!
                      People with Scoliosis can't wait either, some serious curves can cause serious problems and and curves in growing children can get much worse, some higher curves can even progress after growth! We can't keep relying on old treatments that may nto be the best. Treatments like Spinecor have actually been around since the late 1980's and early 1990's. There are many other treatments like CLEAR Institute, different methods, PT, special exercises, etc.
                      We need to research better treatments at a faster rate.

Doctors push surgery, in some rare cases like 100 degree curves it is sometimes the only option. Most cases however can be prevented from getting worse, and corrected without surgery. I like the fourm because I know from toher forms people get on with a 25 degree curve saying "I;m wearing a hard brace I'm afraid I'll ahve to get surgery" It is really discouraging for those people to ahve a thread right below saying "I'm getting surgery next week" I like Dr. Kalla's idea of another fourm. At first I was like "There are so many fourms for Scoliosis!" Then I relized how necessary it is to have a seperate non surgical fourm.

Dr. Kalla has some great views on Scoliosis treatment, he is very knowledgable and as I said above cutting edge. He posts some very interesting articles a lot of doctors probably never heard of.

Yeah it is very new and with all starting websites they need time to bloom. They all start out small and grow over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by S4Sarah View Post

(snip breathless posting)

I like Dr. Kalla's idea of another forum. At first I was like "There are so many forums for Scoliosis!" Then I realized how necessary it is to have a separate non surgical forum.
                        It is honest to have a forum to provide a location for the latest in alternative treatments for scoliosis. It is DIShonest to post ignorant irrelevant fallacious misrepresented comments about surgery in an effort to cover up the lack of evidence for alternative treatments. Do you see the difference?

A well-known group with a very ignorant idea of the age of the earth uses that tactic because they have no positive evidence for their claim. If you use that tactic in supporting alternative treatments, it is tantamount to admitting there is no positive evidence for them. Now is that what Fix's forum intends? I think not.

Dr. Kalla has some great views on Scoliosis treatment, he is very knowledgeable and as I said above cutting edge.
                        He may be knowledgeable about chiro (because he is a chiro not a surgeon) but he has proven he doesn't know the basics about surgery. He has no training in surgery so that is forgivable but then he shouldn't post misleading comments that make others ignorant also.

He posts some very interesting articles a lot of doctors probably never heard of.
                        Okay where is the Candid Camera?

If doctors never heard of the articles Fix likes then there is a very good reason. Can you guess what it is? HINT: It has nothing to do with Fix's supposed prowess in finding cutting edge articles.
                        Last edited by Pooka1; 06-22-2009, 06:37 PM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Sharon...

I think it's a lost cause. Maybe we should encourage it.

--Linda

Comment

Sharon...

I think it's a lost cause. Maybe we should encourage it.

--Linda
                            I don't know. Should we care if Fix's forum becomes a refuge for folks hiding from facts? I don't think we can stop it but I feel sorry for folks who are already afraid of surgery but may need it and then they go there and get the wits scared out of them for no reason using lies.

What can you say?

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Hello Linda and Pooka1:

I just wanted to remind you that S4Sarah is a young girl in high school. Perhaps you could use your considerable knowledge to help her develop her critical thinking skills. If I was a young girl reading some of your cold and haughty responses to her enthusiastic, if slightly naive opinions, I'd be in tears. Give your good information, but be kind about it, please!

B.
                              Last edited by betty14; 06-22-2009, 09:03 PM. Reason: typo
                              Bettina:
                              - 34 year old physiotherapist
                              - main curve of 3 is mid-thoracic convex, approx 37 d.
                              - my goal: to stay as upright, strong and painfree as I can, as long as I can.

Comment

Working...
                              X