having surgery Tuesday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• having surgery Tuesday

First ,I want to wish everyone here who is having surgery or recovering now all the best for a good outcome and complete recovery ! Thank you everyone for your advice and help It has been invaluable to me.

John will be having his surgery tuesday 6/23 At childrens hospital in Knoxville. We had our pre-op meeting and testing today. I was very impressed with the staff at childrens everything was explained to us VERY thoroughly by the program coordinator and the anesthesiologist. They explained the surgery in detail and explained all we need to know about pain management and what to expect in the days folling surgery. We were givin a tour of the hospital and taken to the ICU and to where his room will be. We will be living at the hospital while he is there. Dr Sears will be doing the surgery with Dr. Crawford from Knoxville Orthopeadic. We went for a second opinion from Dr Pearce in Chattanooga, he assured us we were in good hands here and really helped to ease our fear. Also while at Dr Sears office at our last visit we met a teenage girl who was just 3 weeks post op and very happy with her out come and said she was feeling great. She showed us her pre and post x-rays and her spine looked nearly perfect. John's going to be fused from T-5 to L-3 with Stainless steel hardware. I did question the use of stainless steel because of the MRI problems it can cause down the road. Dr. Sears was very adamant about stainless steel getting a better correction and being more durable.
    John age 18
    pre-op
    Thoracic curve 51
    lumbar curve 48
    pre-op
    18 years old
    thoracic curve 51
    lumbar curve 48

Good luck to John, you and your family.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

good luck john
      Kara
      Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
      Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
      T4-L2
      Before 50T
      After 20T

Comment

Good Luck!!!
        Becky
        Mom to DD (15) with S 48*+ curve
        Had her surgery March 9, 2009

Comment

Good luck to John. I had my surgery less than 3 weeks ago. I am about his age and had similar curves and I am already feeling great. I have been able to leave my house since my first day home from the hospital even if it was just to run errands or drive to the mall to walk (the weather here has been terrible) I hope he bounces back just as quickly!
          I also questioned the use of stainless steel because I was nervous about allergies but my doctor assured me that wouldn't be a problem and gave the same reasons (the flexibility for correction and the durability) for using it.

Good Luck!
          Sarah
          22 year old grad student
          Boston brace from 12-14
          surgery on June 1, 2009 T3 to L2
          Yale New Haven Hospital Dr. Grauer
          Thoracic curve 47*
          Thoracolumbar curve 54*

Surgery Photos
          http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...8&l=a2a5799140

Comment

wow

I think it's amazing how fast you have recovered! Thank you it does me a lot of good to hear it. John was very impressed by the photos and the quick recovery. He's not nearly as nervous as I am

Originally posted by sarah105 View Post
            Good luck to John. I had my surgery less than 3 weeks ago. I am about his age and had similar curves and I am already feeling great. I have been able to leave my house since my first day home from the hospital even if it was just to run errands or drive to the mall to walk (the weather here has been terrible) I hope he bounces back just as quickly!
            I also questioned the use of stainless steel because I was nervous about allergies but my doctor assured me that wouldn't be a problem and gave the same reasons (the flexibility for correction and the durability) for using it.

Good Luck!
            pre-op
            18 years old
            thoracic curve 51
            lumbar curve 48

Comment

i wish the best of luckk to John(:
              Valerie

Hi, my name is Valerie, but you can call me Val or V.
              I wore a Boston Brace from 2007-2010
              My curves were 30 and 31
              I now have only a single curve which stands at 35 degrees.
              I owe all of my blessings to The Lord!
              I am very thankful with where my spine is at right now.
              I want to meet some new people on this forum!
              Don't be shy...
              Feel free to message me if you would like to chat!

Comment

Wishing John the best of luck!

Comment

Good luck to John with his surgery! I'm sure it will go really well and soon you'll be on the "other side".

I had similar concerns about the stainless steel rods but our surgeon said the same thing as yours, so that's what was used.
                  Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
                  Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
                  Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Working...
                  X