Torso Rotation Strength Training for Scoliosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by skevimc View Post
    (snip) Someone with a scoliosis and fused spine would still have scoliosis but with reduced/absent(?) risk for progression and side effects. (snip)
    Just to be clear, his comment said ALL future conditions, not only those associated with scoliosis such as progression. In fact one thing my daughter will not likely ever have to worry again about is progression now that she is solidly fused.

Of course when you have DDD being as inevitable as death and taxes if you live long enough, being fused doesn't mean no more issues. In my daughter's case, it just means her risk of developing back issues is now about the same as an unfused person. Note this is not necessarily true of all fusions and all patients. I think balance in all planes comes into play. The surgeon either hits that or doesn't. In her case, he hit the balance in all planes.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

• Originally posted by hdugger View Post
      I might ask him how he knew that, given the relatively short history of this hardware and the relatively high rate of revision surgery even with this newer hardware (as cited in previous discussions). We're 40 or 50 years out from having enough evidence to offer that kind of reassurance. I certainly *hope* that his theory is correct, but I'd have no way of assessing it.
      I'm guessing he is extrapolating from what is known of H rod T fusions and given pedicle screws improve even on that record.

Not really sure though but that's my guess.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

• Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
        Not really sure though but that's my guess.
        Yes, that's my guess too, but it's just an extrapolation, not a fact or a guarantee. I was surprised by the research Linda posted showing a high revision rate even with the new hardware, so the verdict is far from in.

So, given all that, no, I would not consider scoliosis "cured" by a fusion. Even less so, in my son's case, because I have not yet seen a surgery that involves kyphosis where the surgery has not caused its own set of problems.

Again, this does not at all mean that your daughter's prognosis won't be rosy. But it does explain why I push against the idea that the "cure" for scoliosis has been found, so why keep looking. Most of the members on this forum aren't facing as rosy a prognosis, and the search for a *real* cure is, for us, as urgent as ever.

Comment

• Originally posted by hdugger View Post
          But it does explain why I push against the idea that the "cure" for scoliosis has been found, so why keep looking. Most of the members on this forum aren't facing as rosy a prognosis, and the search for a *real* cure is, for us, as urgent as ever.
          The surgeons will not solve scoliosis in that way. The molecular guys and the brain guys and the endocrinology guys and others will solve the etiology. Then they are going to have to come up with a preventative strategy, if possible.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

• Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
            This wasn't deserving of the severe attack that it received. Honestly, Linda, would you talk to a patient or a patient's parents this way? ...Well, you just did. It was very unprofessional. You are supposed to be the moderator, not the attack starter. This was a very appropriate place to post this. No where in his post do I see that he said the device cured her scoliosis. Yes, it was implied by, "This one is worth 1,000 words." But the way it was stated was implied by an excited parent who uses, or will use in the future, this technique. I honestly believe that if this were posted by someone other than Dingo, this attack would not have occured. There is a difference between disagreeing with someone, whether they be a layperson or a scientist, and attacking them at every turn. I am very disappointed in the unprofessionalism that goes on here, and within the National Scoliosis Foundation no less.
            I am not affiliated with the NSF, and do not represent them. I'm a patient and active poster here first. I was asked to moderate because of my activity and experience. As part of that, I didn't sign away any rights about what to post. I find it interesting that you found my statement to be a severe attack, but never said a word about some of the nastigrams launced by Dingo. What is it about certain people that makes them go right to the personal attack strategy when they don't have a credible argument on the debate?

And, believe what you will, I am an equal opportunity poster. If Sharon had posted what Dingo posted, I would have made the same comment.
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
              And, believe what you will, I am an equal opportunity poster. If Sharon had posted what Dingo posted, I would have made the same comment.
              If I posted what Dingo posts I would excoriate myself. Intellectual honesty would demand it. When you play for the science team you can't even think about freelancing for the other team.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

• how I see this board

Me:

LindaRacine:

Pooka1:
                Last edited by Dingo; 05-26-2010, 09:13 PM.

Comment

• This post makes bunny cry

Originally posted by Dingo View Post
                  Me:

LindaRacine:

Pooka1:
                  :
                  http://icanhascheezburger.com/2007/0...ake-bunny-cry/

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

• Do you think that a personal attack will distract people from the debate? I doubt it.

How difficult is it to understand the difference between attacking an idea and attacking a person?
                    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Do you think that a personal attack will distract people from the debate? I doubt it.

How difficult is it to understand the difference between attacking an idea and attacking a person?
                      That is beyond most people as evidenced by certain "debates" on other topics that are older than dirt.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

• my opinion

LindaRacine

My honest opinion is that you are an angry woman. That's fine because sometimes the world needs angry people to get certain jobs done. But moderating a Scoliosis forum for parents and children is not one of those things. You shouldn't have felt or expressed anything negative about the little girl's curve that reconciled. That's not right.

The other thing that's not right is Pooka. She has already been kicked off two Scoliosis boards. For all I know it's more than two. I don't think you see how disruptive her endless insults and tirades are. Her posts look bad on you and they look bad on NSF.

Comment

Apparently, the answer is very.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dingo View Post
                            The other thing that's not right is Pooka. She has already been kicked off two Scoliosis boards.
                            Lies. You have no shame.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

The other thing that's not right is Pooka. She has already been kicked off two Scoliosis boards. For all I know it's more than two. I don't think you see how disruptive her endless insults and tirades are. Her posts look bad on you and they look bad on NSF.
                              Yet, you keep returning without changing your own behavior.

Comment

LindaRacine

The other thing that's not right is Pooka. She has already been kicked off two Scoliosis boards.
                                Name these two boards.

You have no shame. No honor to lie like this. Clearly you are not emotionally able to approach this subject in an honest manner.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                                X