No announcement yet.

Torso Rotation Strength Training for Scoliosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I find it interesting that the MedX machine (which has had FDA approval since 1989, as a rehabilitation machine) is used at:
    • The Texas Back Institute (4 locations)
    • Kaiser Permanente Hospitals
    • Kieser International (over 60 locations worldwide)
    • Arizona Spine Institute
    • California Spine Institute

2008 Spine Journal Publication here: http://www.fitstrength.com/MedX%20Research.html

Based on what I've learned about all this (deepest thanks Dingo), and its current applications - I would not be surprised to see research in the future with specific applications towards scoliosis.

Some 40 years ago, I was told (by an orthopedic surgeon) that there absolutly were no exercises that could exert enough influence on paraspinal muscles to effect any change in a spine with scoliosis. I don't think the same can be said today with the development of a machine such as this. The in depth research cannot come soon enough for me - but maybe for my great-grandchildren. The future does look a bit brighter. And bty, the offered 2008 Spine Journal publication indicates that this machine is also useful for those suffering post spine surgery pain. Looks like something all could benefit from. A true pity that funding is not available for more study.

Comment

• MedX

Mamamax

Right on, very interesting about the MedX.

Some 40 years ago, I was told (by an orthopedic surgeon) that there absolutly were no exercises that could exert enough influence on paraspinal muscles to effect any change in a spine with scoliosis.
      That reminds me of the good old peptic ulcer.

In 1968 Dr. John Lykoudis was fined for treating ulcers with antibiotics. At the time this was considered medical quackery.

In 2005 two Australian doctors received the Nobel prize for proving that Ulcer's were caused by bacteria and could be easily treated with antibiotics.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dingo View Post
        Mamamax

In 1968 Dr. John Lykoudis was fined for treating ulcers with antibiotics. At the time this was considered medical quackery.

In 2005 two Australian doctors received the Nobel prize for proving that Ulcer's were caused by bacteria and could be easily treated with antibiotics.
        I remember this coming out. (Not the 1968 thing ). That's a great find Dingo. Science is full of these kinds of reversals and accidents.

Comment

• chest exercise

In case anybody was interested I'm adding an exercise to my son's workout.

We already do dumbbell press once per week but I am adding one more easy chest exercise.

Isometric Chest Squeezes

Our version is slightly different. Instead of pushing his hands together Scott holds the handles on a pec machine together.

The machine at our house is different but this picture works.
          Scott stands on the seat (ours is flat) and faces the machine.
          I stand behind him so he doesn't fall or wobble.
          I pull the pec grips together in the middle and he holds them in position like the "chest squeeze" for 30 seconds. He can do 20 pounds without problem.
          Right now we do 3, 30 second sets so the whole thing only lasts a few minutes. That's all that a 6 year old will tolerate in one sitting.

This really works his chest and it's an isometric exercise so it's safe on the joints.

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor or physical therapist. Always consult a doctor before you begin any exercise program.
          Last edited by Dingo; 02-03-2010, 09:34 AM.

Comment

• This discussion is starting to address some of the questions Pooka and I were exploring about whether flexibility is a "good" thing for scoliosis patients. It seems like the answer is "yes, but it has to be coupled with strenghtening to help the muscles hold the spine in a better position."

So, I have an overall question. What, exactly, makes someone "more flexible?" Is it muscle weakness? Or, is it more a role of ligaments? Or ??? I just can't get a good handle on exactly what system I'm talking about when I talk about flexibility.

Comment

• Flexibility is mostly a function of the ligaments and other connective tissue.

Too much flexibility caused by ligament laxity is definitely not good for the spine, or any other joints.
              Gayle, age 50
              Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
              Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
              Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
              2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
              2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

In case anybody was interested I'm adding an exercise to my son's workout.

We already do dumbbell press once per week but I am adding one more easy chest exercise.

Isometric Chest Squeezes

Our version is slightly different. Instead of pushing his hands together Scott holds the handles on a pec machine together.

The machine at our house is different but this picture works.
                Scott stands on the seat (ours is flat) and faces the machine.
                I stand behind him so he doesn't fall or wobble.
                I pull the pec grips together in the middle and he holds them in position like the "chest squeeze" for 30 seconds. He can do 20 pounds without problem.
                Right now we do 3, 30 second sets so the whole thing only lasts a few minutes. That's all that a 6 year old will tolerate in one sitting.

This really works his chest and it's an isometric exercise so it's safe on the joints.

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor or physical therapist. Always consult a doctor before you begin any exercise program.
                Thanks Dingo - a few of us are scouting around for chest expansion/strengthening exercises .. looks good!

Comment

• Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
                  Flexibility is mostly a function of the ligaments and other connective tissue.

Too much flexibility caused by ligament laxity is definitely not good for the spine, or any other joints.

Now that makes perfect sense - thank you!

Comment

• Originally posted by hdugger View Post
                    So, I have an overall question. What, exactly, makes someone "more flexible?" Is it muscle weakness? Or, is it more a role of ligaments? Or ??? I just can't get a good handle on exactly what system I'm talking about when I talk about flexibility.
                    I'm not sure but I think its a combination of many things. In a normal spine that is flexible - say a gymnast ... I can see where parspinal, ligaments, and other muscles are obviously strong enough to hold the spine erect symmetrically. Those same muscles are also flexible enough to perform upon demand - so they have an elasticity combined with strength.

With scoliosis there is a loss of symmetry in muscle strength - if the spine is still flexible, maybe it is because the muscles are strong (and elastic) enough to perform and respond. That would be the best case scenario - but then, like leahdragonfly basically said .. too much flexibility could be due to an even greater lack of muscle strength (like atrophy), which could trigger progression in older adults (I'm thinking).

Great question - has me pondering much. We have a few Physical Therapists here. I hope they will respond.

Comment

• bodybuilding.com

Mamamax

Thanks Dingo - a few of us are scouting around for chest expansion/strengthening exercises .. looks good!
                      bodybuilding.com: List of exercises

You might like this site. It has movies that show how to do exercises for every part of the body. I usually find an exercise on this site and then google for a 2nd opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by hdugger View Post
                        For me, I was prescribed certain PT exercises to maintain spinal flexibility. I do them every night because I do feel it eliminates tightness and I feel better. Lay on floor with knees up and rock pelvis up then down to floor, 15X, repeat. Now, sides - play with each hip bone to rock toward ceiling on each side. This is a good flexibility exercise. 15X/ repeat. It's called "bowl of jello" because you can picture trying to rotate a bowl of jello and keeping it in the bowl. Another: hands under bottom of rear for stability (I face mine towards feet, palms down), legs straight up in air. Move feet side to side 1" each side. 15X, repeat. Then Bridges. Again, all work on keeping vertebrae movable, seems to me. Works for me.
                        Last edited by dailystrength; 03-10-2010, 08:52 PM.
                        34L at diagnosis; Boston Brace 1979
                        Current: 50L, 28T

Comment

• Originally posted by LindaRacine
                          I'm happy to remove posts, but they have to be reported. (Click on the little triangle in the upper right hand corner of the message.)
                          Thank you, Linda ... will do.

I'm trying to be more gentle in my written objections (large credit to hdugger for that ;-), and I forget about the flag thing ...
                          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                          EMAIL ME

Comment

• my deleted post

Laval University, Quebec Canada, Evidence for cognitive vestibular integration impairment in idiopathic scoliosis patients

Manzoni and Miele [31] and Pompeiano et al. [32] have proposed that deficit in melatonin has an inhibitory effect on the vestibulospinal activity which could lead to abnormal activities of the cervical and axial muscles. In addition, impaired vestibular information from the cerebellum to the vestibular cortical network or alteration of this cortical network could also lead to alteration of back muscle activities. Therefore, vestibulospinal [31,32] as well as corticospinal abnormal activities may be part of the mechanisms leading to the onset and progression of scoliosis.
                            Evidence that implicates the back muscles helps explain why 3 seperate studies found that TRS was consistently effective for small and medium curves.
                            Last edited by Dingo; 03-03-2010, 04:58 PM.

Comment

• Based on the surrounding conversation (also deleted) the complaint was not with the study but with the "effective for everyone" claim.

Comment

Laval University, Quebec Canada, Evidence for cognitive vestibular integration impairment in idiopathic scoliosis patients

Evidence that implicates the back muscles helps explain why 3 seperate studies found that TRS was consistently effective for small and medium curves.
                                I see the connection Dingo ;-) Very good article, thank you for posting. The vestibular thing is also covered extensively in this one, for those interested in such things.
                                The present results show that cognitive vestibular processing is impaired in ISP. It is possible that severe spine deformity developed partly due to impaired vestibular information travelling from the cerebellum to the vestibular cortical network or alteration in the cortical mechanisms processing of vestibular signals. The present study, however, does not allow one to make claims as to whether deficits in cognitive processing of vestibular signals should be considered as a potential factor leading to curve progression in scoliosis patients. Further studies may determine if this deficit and the melatonin signaling dysfunction in ISP can predict curve progression in patients with small spine deformity.
                                http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2739533/
                                Last edited by mamamax; 03-03-2010, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X