Torso Rotation Strength Training for Scoliosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by txmarinemom View Post
    Okay ... and as a point of reference, T9 is typically about nipple level. My structural curve apex was @ T9. This was the only curve that required fusion.

And have you been told all 3 curves are structural?
    No, only the top one is structural, as far as we know.

Comment

• home strength training

hdugger

I don't think that's right, Dingo. I think they did exercises under supervision for the first four months, and then did an additional 4 months at home, so, at the 8 month mark, they had just finished their home exercise.
      You are correct but the problem that Dr. McCintire ran into was that the children didn't do their home exercises. This is from the study.

Home Strength Exercise Protocol
      The goal of the home strength exercise protocol was to maintain any strength gains obtained after supervised training. The home protocol consisted of trunk rotations using gold-colored Thera-Band (The Hygenic Corp, Akron, OH) for resistance. According to the manufacturer’s specifications, it is reported to need 88.96N (20 lb) of force to double its starting length. With the Thera-Band attached at one end directly behind the patient at the same level as her/his shoulders and held at its other end by the subject across the upper arm, an approximately 15.24 cm (6 inch) moment arm was produced in applying the resistive torque to the spine (Fig. 3). The resultant beginning torque was about 13.34Nm (10 lb ft) if the Thera-Band was stretched to double its original length. The spine had to overcome this resistance at the beginning of its opposite rotation. The resistance increased as the spine further rotated to the opposite side. This was an approximation of the resistive torque because a precise estimation could be quite complex.49,50 Practically, the subject could adjust the sitting position to change the starting length of the Thera-Band to find an appropriate resistive torque. The home strength exercise was simply a full range of trunk rotational motion while holding the Thera-Band. Patients were instructed to perform 3 sets of 15 repetitions to the left and to the right 3 to 5 times a week.

Although the patients were instructed in the home-based strength exercise program previously described, we did not effectively monitor their compliance. Our impression through retrospective inquiries was that only about one-third of them were reasonably compliant. Thus, it seemed that the supervised strength training effect lasted at least 4 months.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
        re: latest publication concerning martha hawes...thoracic, thoracic, thoracic...any evidence anywhere of curve reduction of LUMBAR...??!!!!

just askin'......

jess
        Hi Jess - she has a thoracic and a lumbar curve - reduction in both.

Xray and 2009 info in table form attached.

2001 Reference
        http://www.scoliosis.org/resources/s...on_spr2002.pdf

2005 Reference (published in 2009):
        http://www.scoliosisjournal.com/cont...-7161-4-27.pdf
        Attached Images
        Last edited by mamamax; 12-19-2009, 03:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mamamax View Post
          Hi Jess - she has a thoracic and a lumbar curve - reduction in both.
          Maxene, I think maybe (at least that's how I understood her question) Jess is asking about improvements in structural lumbar curves. I'm guessing from the appearance of Hawes curve that her lumbar is compensatory. Improvement in a compensatory curve would naturally follow structural improvement, so I'm not sure it's significant.

At any rate, change in a compensatory lumbar isn't the same as change in a structural lumbar. Surgeons don't even typically measure compensatory curves unless they fall in the range of double major/double structural.

Oh, and FYI ... your report links are broken.

Pam
          Last edited by txmarinemom; 12-19-2009, 03:05 PM.
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

• Originally posted by txmarinemom View Post
            Maxene, I think maybe (at least that's how I understood her question) Jess is asking about improvements in structural lumbar curves. I'm guessing from the appearance of Hawes curve that her lumbar is compensatory. Improvement in a compensatory curve would naturally follow structural improvement, so I'm not sure it's significant.

At any rate, change in a compensatory lumbar isn't the same as change in a structural lumbar. Surgeons don't even typically measure compensatory curves unless they fall in the range of double major/double structural.

Oh, and FYI ... your report links are broken.

Pam
            I agree Pam, that the lumbar curve appears compensatory. I believe she speaks of her thoracic as structural in both the literature and her book. I'll have to check. With me, the thoracolumbar curve appears the structrual and the thoracic compensatory. I was once told that the curve involving the less number of vertebra is usually the compensatory - but I don't know.

What is curious about Martha's case is - reduction continues after 2001. I wonder if she plans publishing every four years - if so, we may see more in 2012. Will fix those links - thanks.

Comment

• I'm new here and this is my first post. And I have a question....Has anyone on this board felt they have had success following the Schroth method?

Comment

• Welcome Nim,

We have several people here who have used Schroth - one of them should reply. I just wanted to say hi.

Comment

• Hi! Thanks for the welcome! If anyone has tried the Schroth method, did any of you see Marian H. Wade in New York City?

Comment

• I almost saw her - I had been emailing back and forth with her right before I learned Schroth and was maybe going to see her. However, her mother died at that time, so she decided to take a couple months off. So, I ended up seeing Dr. Moramarco in MA instead.

Comment

• And what did you think of the Schroth method? Did you have any luck with it? How long did you follow it, if you did follow it, that is. Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Nim View Post
                        And what did you think of the Schroth method? Did you have any luck with it? How long did you follow it, if you did follow it, that is. Thanks!
                        Well, I learned it back in mid-May (of this year) and I've been doing it ever since. I went back after 3 months (in Aug.) to check in and make sure I was doing all the exercises correctly - I was. Once you learn how to do it, it's actually pretty easy. In my particular case, it was exactly what I was looking for. I'm not at a surgical level, but I do have pain/tightness/etc. associated with my scoliosis. So, my current Schroth exercise regime is targeted, specific, and alleviates a lot of that. Don't get me wrong - it's not like I feel like I have a straight spine now, but it helps the pain a lot. I do the exercises 4-5 days per week for about a half hour to 45 minutes each day. If you're looking for an exercise-based program, I don't think anything can beat it. I've tried yoga for scoliosis and traditional PT. Schroth is the best by far.

Comment

• Thanks, Miss Emmy.......I realize now...I posted on the wrong thread....this is for my 14 year old daughter...she has just been diagnosed with scoliosis....because I saw the shoulder blade pop out, and then our family doc agreed.....We have not done anything yet...I have been reading and researching, and learning....I like to put all the pieces on the table and then look at what seems best...I do like what I have read about Schroth. She has not been x-rayed yet...but you can feel how the spine is straight until about 8 inches past her waist, then it veers to the right and you are not feeling bone any more.

I spoke with Marian Wade, and we now have an appointment, so I will, I'm sure, learn more about Schroth. Might make an appointment with one of the big hospitals near me:Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, Shriner's or NYU to see what they say. She is not in any pain....She was completely oblivious to it, until I saw it......Thanks for your response....anything you think that would be good for me to know or think about, I would be open to and appreciate....so please post with anything.....Thanks so much!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dingo View Post
                            My 5 year old uses a large exercise ball and rotates left to right 50 times in the morning and 50 times before he goes to bed. He wears ankle weights to keep him steady and I stand behind him to make sure he goes equal distances in both directions. Unfortunately I haven't found a safe and practical way to stabilize his pelvis.
                            Just a thought...how about having your son sit on a chair backwards..straddling it. Use a chair with a low profile back to it. and to stabilize the hips and pelvic.

We found at the Ymca a similar machine torso rotation. Ambrea does 20 reps at 30% of her weight..3x a week along with the fitlynx machines.
                            Her back looks amazing. We also bought wii fit to work on balancing and core muscles..trying to disguise our workouts with fun.
                            I am not sure of the cut off age, but I have seen 8 year olds on the machines. They have to take an orientation class, and get trained before using the equipment.

We see the orthopedic on Jan 18, the xrays will tell.
                            age 15
                            Daughter diagnosed at age 13
                            T20 l23 10-09
                            T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010
                            T22 L25 12/2010 out of brace
                            T24 L25 7/2011 out of brace

Type 1 diabetes- pumping
                            Wearing a Boston brace and Schroth therapy
                            Faith, Hope, and Love- the greatest of these is Love

Comment

• torso rotation

Bigbluefrog

Just a thought...how about having your son sit on a chair backwards.. straddling it. Use a chair with a low profile back to it. and to stabilize the hips and pelvic.
                              Thanks Bigbluefrog but we've got a pretty good system in place now. The exercises we do aren't as effective as a machine but my son is only 6 and it's the best we have. I think you are right, he needs to be about 8 before he can fit into a torso strength training machine. Our goal is to stop Scott's curve from progressing or keep progression to a minimum until then. When he is big enough we'll buy him a used machine that he can use at home. At that point I'm not worried because torso rotation appears to be almost universally effective for small and medium curves.

We found at the Ymca a similar machine torso rotation. Ambrea does 20 reps at 30% of her weight..3x a week along with the fitlynx machines. Her back looks amazing.
                              How long have you been doing strength training? In my experience it appeared to have an impact after just a few weeks. Six months after Scott started strength training he had his recheck and his curve went from 11 to 10 degrees. To my eyes his curve had improved but at the very least it hadn't progressed. I can live with that.

Comment

• We started her exercises as soon as we discovered she had scoliosis.
                                With the weight machines ~ only two weeks.

I used to be able to see the curve, now it looks straighter.
                                But its more ~ its the muscle definition, better posture, and excellent balance.

We joined the club for their machines and the pool. I read that it can benefit her back muscles. Plus she loves to swim...so its easy to motivate.

The wii fit is excellent on working the core muscles for balance.
                                She designed a program that includes yoga and strength training.
                                We only work out with the machines 3x a week. The study rec 2x a week.

At home and on other days she has basketball practice, plays wii fit, or yoga.

And I believe in prayers, so we are praying for a miracle here. Ask and it shall be given....seek and ye shall find..knock and the door will be open.

we are asking..we are seeking....we are knocking...for a positive outcome.
                                age 15
                                Daughter diagnosed at age 13
                                T20 l23 10-09
                                T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010
                                T22 L25 12/2010 out of brace
                                T24 L25 7/2011 out of brace

Type 1 diabetes- pumping
                                Wearing a Boston brace and Schroth therapy
                                Faith, Hope, and Love- the greatest of these is Love

Comment

Working...
                                X