Torso Rotation Strength Training for Scoliosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
    As far as I know, Martha Hawes has not published anything to show that her correction has been maintained. I believe Mamamax claims that Martha maintains her correction with 1 hour of exercise a day, but I don't know where she got that information.
    I just wrote to Martha. She confirms that she's holding her correction. She does one hour of exercise a day and nothing else special, but, obviously, has no way of knowing if the exercise is the reason her correction has held.

Comment

• SEAS study

Martha also reminds me of the SEAS study which shows a decrease in curve in an adult with 30 minutes of exercise a day. Length of study: 1 year

That's four data points so far.

Comment

• Originally posted by hdugger View Post
        I just wrote to Martha. She confirms that she's holding her correction. She does one hour of exercise a day and nothing else special, but, obviously, has no way of knowing if the exercise is the reason her correction has held.
        Wow.

I'd like to know:

1. how long she has maintained the correction
        2. how often she obtains radiographs to confirm she is holding with the one hour
        3. how she knew she when she could drop down from 4 hours (for several years) to just one hour.

Obviously the PT is holding the curve or she would stop exercising or maybe exercise not quite so much.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

• Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
          Wow.

I'd like to know:

1. how long she has maintained the correction
          2. how often she obtains radiographs to confirm she is holding with the one hour
          3. how she knew she when she could drop down from 4 hours (for several years) to just one hour.

Obviously the PT is holding the curve or she would stop exercising or maybe exercise not quite so much.
          Wow, indeed. Elise Miller reports the same, according to the communication posted on the forum. One hour a day of scoliosis-specific exercise. It certainly is a tantalizing glimmer.

It's not obvious to me that PT is what's holding the curve, although I strongly suspect. I walk for 30 minutes a day to ward off leg injuries - but it's based 1 part on evidence and 3 parts on "faith". Likely we all do some mix of effective and ritual activities to keep ourselves healthy. But, yes, it certainly does seem likely that it's some kind of intentional muscle action that's keeping the reduction in place.

Comment

• Originally posted by hdugger View Post
            Wow, indeed. Elise Miller reports the same, according to the communication posted on the forum.
            See this comports with my feeling that it's not the result that is unique but rather the willingness/ability to do endless hours of PT that is unique.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

See this comports with my feeling that it's not the result that is unique but rather the willingness/ability to do endless hours of PT that is unique.
              One hour.

I don't think we have enough evidence to say - so far, I just have 4 data points of anyone saying they've had any reduction in their curve. The time given to maintain that correction is one hour (for two of them) and 30 minutes (for the other). Are there other long-term studies of curve reduction? More data points would certainly help.

Comment

• I was referring to four hours for years.

Again, it is not likely she immediately tried four hours and that was right. I bet she ratcheted it up from one to two to three to four until she was seeing a result.

I don't think she is claiming she could have reduced that curve that much starting at one hour. If she could do that why was she doing four hours? For years?

That woman is a tenured professor in plant pathology or something like that. She was working during this I'm sure.

And she is probably lucky she never had Dengue Fever or needed emergency abdominal surgery if that isn't part of the reason why she needed several years of the four hours..
                Last edited by Pooka1; 12-16-2009, 05:45 AM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

• long term studies

hdugger

Are there other long-term studies of curve reduction?
                  There will never be a large, well done, longterm study on the effects of exercise on Scoliosis after skeletal maturity. It's very hard to find people with enough mental discipline to stick to an exercise plan like Martha. Like you said this stuff has to be accepted on faith.

Ya know, many people reject Martha Hawe's concepts just like many people rejected Jack LaLanne's concepts. In Jack's case he is 95 and his critics are long dead.

Comment

I was referring to four hours for years.

Again, it is not likely she immediately tried four hours and that was right. I bet she ratcheted it up from one to two to three to four until she was seeing a result.
                    I'd have to go back and look at her book. My memory is that she started having spasms and many of those hours were spent manipulating/massaging the area because it bothered her. That is, I think the time spent was due to trying to alleviate a symptom, not trying to reduce a curve, at least at the start. But, I don't recall exactly.

That's one data point. And another (Elise Miller) who also spent alot of time at first and then went down to an hour.

But there are two more data points that did not have years of more than an hour a day.

We're just not nearly far enough along in gathering data to be able to draw any conclusion, IMO. All we know so far is that it is possible to reduce a curve and maintain a reduction through exercise. Everything else is an unknown.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dingo View Post
                      There will never be a large, well done, longterm study on the effects of exercise on Scoliosis after skeletal maturity. It's very hard to find people with enough mental discipline to stick to an exercise plan like Martha. Like you said this stuff has to be accepted on faith.
                      If it's a reduction it doesn't have to be large or well done, since the natural course of scoliosis never shows a reduction in a significant curve. It would be good, though, if it was longterm - at least a year, and preferably more.

Do any of the existing studies meet that criteria? I'm hungry for data points

Comment

• Quite by chance, there is a new publication at Scoliosis Journal in which Martha Hawes brings her case up to date. It appears that she cut her curves in half, or at least by a quarter, depending on measurement methodology. She gives the data on her exercises, the X-rays, and other information including over a hundred references to supporting literature.

http://www.scoliosisjournal.com/cont...-7161-4-27.pdf

Comment

• Reductioln of ADULT Curves through Non Surgical Methods

Originally posted by Writer View Post
                          Quite by chance, there is a new publication at Scoliosis Journal in which Martha Hawes brings her case up to date. It appears that she cut her curves in half, or at least by a quarter, depending on measurement methodology. She gives the data on her exercises, the X-rays, and other information including over a hundred references to supporting literature.

http://www.scoliosisjournal.com/cont...-7161-4-27.pdf
                          Thank you for posting this Writer.

This 26 page follow up helps answer questions and dispel some myths about the case of Martha Hawes.

Table 2 which shows cobb measurements (using three comparative methods) from 1990-2005 clearly shows a progressive reduction in curvatude - hdugger reports from a recent email to Martha, that she continues to maintain her correction with 1 hour of exercise daily (as is outlined in her memoir).

Table 1 outlines her methods of treatment - none of which involve 4 hours a day of exercising for years and years - a myth that I'm glad to see set to rest in this report. From 1964-1974 she used calisthenics for about 30 minutes daily; 1974-1991Calisthenics, stretching, plus aerobics (biking, jogging) 60 min daily; 1991 Deep tissue massage 60 min daily; 1992-2001 Daily home mobilization exercises (no strengthening or aerobic) + some other intermittent therapy; 2001-2005 daily mobilization, strengthening & aerobic exercise 40-50 min daily.

The work of Martha Hawes not only demonstrates that contrary to past opinion, adult curves can be reduced significantly through non surgical methods - and that reduction can be maintained.

One may only speculate: If we have this well documented case report - how many undocumented cases exist?

Comment

• Okay I thought there was far more than >10* reduction in Cobb angle reported in the earlier paper.

You can achieve that difference by standing differently, no exercise, no brace although some of that might be asymmetrical muscle development in compensation I am guessing.

I'm sure she is much more aerobically fit with all that PT. I'm amazed that she never relented on surgery even at the point of needing psychotherapy for the pain.

I'll bet she will never stop the PT.

And I would like to know if surgeons think there is anything to be learned here.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

• Originally posted by mamamax View Post
                              Table 1 outlines her methods of treatment - none of which involve 4 hours a day of exercising for years and years - a myth that I'm glad to see set to rest in this report. From 1964-1974 she used calisthenics for about 30 minutes daily; 1974-1991Calisthenics, stretching, plus aerobics (biking, jogging) 60 min daily; 1991 Deep tissue massage 60 min daily; 1992-2001 Daily home mobilization exercises (no strengthening or aerobic) + some other intermittent therapy; 2001-2005 daily mobilization, strengthening & aerobic exercise 40-50 min daily.
                              Compare this to what was written in the earlier paper and see if you think they agree.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

• Also, this paper was published this year yet the last radiograph is from 2005.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                                X