Torso Rotation Strength Training for Scoliosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
    There is no evidence that there isn't a teapot orbiting the sun between the orbits of Jupiter and Saturn.

Vaccines have been ruled out as the cause just like a 6,000 year old earth has been ruled out. You are ignorant of this field of study.

Good evidence about what I said about you! People like you without rational thinking believe that something effective cannot provoke damages!.

Comment

It is easy to show many parents are not trained to think scientifically.
      Yes, you are the greatest example.

Comment

Vaccines have been ruled out as the cause just like a 6,000 year old earth has been ruled out. .

But anyway.. Post here the proof!.. what YOU think is a proof..

Comment

• Why are you so bitter?
          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

• Haa! Is it all what you have?
            Last edited by flerc; 11-23-2016, 09:55 AM.

Comment

• Scott's 2016 Update!

Scott's 2016 Update (we had his appointment this morning)
              These are his results so far.
              2008 - Age 5 - 11 degrees
              2009 - Age 6 - 14 degrees
              2010 - Age 7 - 18.6 degrees (Torso Rotation began here)
              2011 - Age 8 - 20.2 degrees
              2012 - Age 9 - 20.0 degrees
              2013 - Age 10 - 19.0 degrees
              2014 - Age 11 - 21.0 degrees
              2015 - Age 12 - 24.0 degrees
              2016 - Age 13 - 24.0 degrees

I went to Scott's appointment today which allowed me to get his 2015 measurement. I hadn't gone last year and my wife didn't get an exact number. So I updated 2015 to 24 degrees from "unchanged". Although I'd love to see a smaller number I am extremely pleased with our results. His age 12 and age 13 X-rays looked identical to the naked eye and that's how they measured. As an aside I think my wife didn't tell me the exact number last year because she knows I would have worried.

Bid Data
              Ok, maybe not Big Data, but it's been 8 years so lets look at the numbers so far. I realize there is a +/- 5 degree margin of error but for arguments sake lets assume the measurements were accurate.

From ages 5 to 7 we didn't do torso rotation because Scott was too small to fit in the machine
              Over a 2 year period and after a few inches of growth Scott's curve progressed 7.6 degrees.

From ages 7 to 13 we did torso rotation
              Over a 6 year period and after more than a foot of growth Scott's curve progressed 5.4 degrees.

Assuming the measurements were correct that's a noticeable difference especially because curves have a habit of progressing during growth and at an ever increasing rate.

I believe I learned something that might be helpful to other parents and kids.
              Long story short when you're doing TRS work hard, don't go through the motions. Between ages 11 and 12 Scott went from 21 to 24 degrees. I have do admit that after several years of hard work and good results Scott and I had grown complacent. We weren't pushing as hard or even increasing weight by that much. We were more or less going through the motions. Somewhere around his 12th birthday Scott's interest in all types of strength training began to sprout. He started doing curls, presses, etc. etc. and we started pushing hard again. In addition we changed the way we he did his rotations. We increased his range of motion from 30 degrees to 60 degrees based on the ideas you can read about in this article. Range of motion: Full vs. Partial. Which is better when it comes to muscle size and strength? Research suggests that using an increased range of motion activates more muscle. Increased muscle is perhaps better for our purposes so were sticking with 60 degrees. I should note that twisting 60 degrees is much harder than twisting 30 degrees.

After 8 years of work I can see the finish line. Scott's spine will stop growing between his 16th and 17th birthday. So in a little over 3 years were done. What a relief. 8-) Thank you so much Dr. Vert Mooney and Dr. Kevin McIntire! Without your work Scott would likely be a pretzel by now. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Happy Thanksgiving!
              Last edited by Dingo; 11-23-2016, 10:33 PM.

Comment

• A small addendum.

At Scott's appointment I asked his Doctor, an Orthopedic surgeon that specializes in Scoliosis about curves that spontaneously reconcile.

He said these kids are extremely rare but he has seen them at his practice. I asked him if he had any idea what caused the improvement and he responded (paraphrasing), "I have no idea. We don't what causes Scoliosis so nobody knows what to look for in these kids. As of now it's a mystery."

So there you have it. Nobody knows.

Comment

• For those still checking this thread Another year in da books!!!

Scott's 2017 Update
                  2010 - Age 7 - 18.6 degrees (Torso Rotation began here)
                  2011 - Age 8 - 20.2 degrees
                  2012 - Age 9 - 20.0 degrees
                  2013 - Age 10 - 19.0 degrees
                  2014 - Age 11 - 21.0 degrees
                  2015 - Age 12 - 24.0 degrees
                  2016 - Age 13 - 24.0 degrees
                  2017 - Age 14 - 28.0 degrees

What we're changing up this year.
                  1) If you've been following recent headlines you might have noticed that scientists are connecting a plethora of diseases to nasty bacteria in the stomach. Interestingly enough Mother Nature thought it was a good idea to garrison 80% of our immune system in the gut. Is that just a coincidence or did evolution figure out where the worst threats come from and organize our defenses appropriately? Google microbiome and disease and decide for yourself. Anyway because the microbiome responds directly to diet we cut Scott off of all processed foods and sugar about a week ago.
                  2) More general purpose strength training. Bigger kids might have less progression.

See you next year!
                  Last edited by Dingo; 08-23-2018, 09:32 PM.

Comment

• Whole body vibration found to be an effective treatment for AIS

A just published German study found that a few minutes per day of whole body vibration appears to be an effective treatment for AIS. I ordered a machine on Amazon that costs a little less than $400 and we will be adding it to Scott's training.

Home-based vibration assisted exercise as a new treatment option for scoliosis - A randomised controlled trial.

J Musculoskelet Neuronal Interact. 2017 Dec 1;17(4):259-267.

OBJECTIVES:
                    The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of scoliosis specific exercises (SSE) on a side-alternating whole body vibration platform (sWBV) as a home-training program in girls with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis (AIS).

METHODS:
                    40 female AIS patients (10-17 years) wearing a brace were randomly assigned to two groups. The intervention was a six months, home-based, SSE program on a sWBV platform five times per week. Exercises included standing, sitting and kneeling. The control group received regular SSE (treatment as usual). The Cobb angle was measured at start and after six months. Onset of menarche was documented for sub-group analysis.

RESULTS:
                    The major curve in the sWBV group decreased significantly by -2.3° (SD±3.8) (95% CI -4.1 to -0.5; P=0.014) compared to the difference in the control group of 0.3° (SD±3.7) (95% CI -1.5 to 2.2; P=0.682) (P=0.035). In the sWBV group 20% (n=4) improved, 75% (n=15) stabilized and 5% (n=1) deteriorated by ≥5°. In the control group 0% (n=0) improved, 89% (n=16) stabilized and 11% (n=2) deteriorated. The clinically largest change was observed in the 'before-menarche' sub-group.

CONCLUSIONS:
                    Home-based SSE combined with sWBV for six months counteracts the progression of scoliosis in girls with AIS; the results were more obvious before the onset of the menarche.

Abstract Home-based vibration assisted exercise as a new treatment option for scoliosis - A randomised controlled trial.
                    Last edited by Dingo; 12-22-2017, 10:09 PM.

Comment

• followup

Question: Why did scientists suspect that something as simple as a few minutes of vibration therapy could treat Scoliosis?

Answer: Because previous research indicated that Scoliosis was a type of Subclinical Dystonia.

Study: Motor cortical hyperexcitability in idiopathic scoliosis: could focal dystonia be a subclinical etiological factor?

Scientists have known for several decades that movement disorders including Dystonia can be treated with vibration therapy.
                      Study: Focal vibration in neurorehabilitation

It would be a fascinating and welcome development if someday braces and surgery were replaced by $30 back massagers.

Comment

• After age 14 Scott's curve began to progress rapidly. 2 weeks ago we had Vertebral Body Tethering performed in San Diego and the results were magical!

If you are interested you can read about that here. Scott's Vertebral Body Tethering Thread

This is Scott's history.

Scott’s History
                        2007 - Age 4 - Rib hump noticed but scoliosis not measured
                        2010 - Age 7 - 19 degrees (Torso rotation exercises began just before 7th birthday)
                        2011 - Age 8 - 20 degrees
                        2012 - Age 9 - 20 degrees
                        2013 - Age 10 - 19 degrees
                        2014 - Age 11 - 21 degrees
                        2015 - Age 12 - 24 degrees
                        2016 - Age 13 - 24 degrees
                        2017 - Age 14 - 28 degrees
                        2018 - Age 14 & 5 months - 35 degrees - Flew to San Diego the following week and X-Rayed/remeasured by Dr. Newton at 45 degrees
                        2018 - Age 14 & 10 months - 55 degrees, surgery scheduled
                        2018 - 4 weeks later, the day before surgery - 63 degrees
                        Two weeks after surgery, first standing X-Ray - 28 degrees
                        Last edited by Dingo; 11-28-2018, 10:23 AM.

Comment

• More evidence suggests muscles balance is significantly altered in children with AIS.

Study here: Assessment of biomechanical properties of paraspinal muscles in adolescent idiopathic

Comment

• Scott 2020 Tethering update

Scott’s History
                            2007 - Age 4 - Rib hump noticed but scoliosis not measured
                            2008 - Age 5 - 11°
                            2009 - Age 6 - 14°
                            2010 - Age 7 - 19° (Torso rotation exercises began just before 7th birthday)
                            2011 - Age 8 - 20°
                            2012 - Age 9 - 20°
                            2013 - Age 10 - 19°
                            2014 - Age 11 - 21°
                            2015 - Age 12 - 24°
                            2016 - Age 13 - 24°
                            2017 - Age 14 - 28°
                            2018 - Age 14 & 5 months - 35° - Flew to San Diego the following week and X-Rayed/remeasured by Dr. Newton at 45°
                            2018 - Age 14 & 10 months - 55°, surgery scheduled
                            2018 - 4 weeks later, the day before surgery - 63°
                            Two weeks after surgery, first standing X-Ray - 28°
                            2020 - 16 years and 10 months - 21° thoracic / 16° lumbar

Tomorrow will be 2 years since Scott's tethering surgery. In 2019 Scott's curve got down to the teens but at some point he broke a tether and his curve bounced up into the low 20s. We think he broke the tether during one of his many wrestling matches with his older brother. We warned him 1,000 times not to wrestle but I guess it was too much fun to resist. Nevertheless we are overjoyed with the final result. His spine is more or less done growing and so we think that any future improvement will be minimal if there is any at all.

Dr. Newton has been working on this procedure for 20 years. He believes that if the results continue to be positive in another decade or so it may become a safe and widely used procedure for Scoliosis. For the rest of my life I will be eternally grateful for the decades of hard work he and other scientists put in to develop this procedure. It has completely changed the trajectory of Scott's life.

Comment

• In case anyone was wondering Scott can't feel the tethers in his back. Although I imagine that they limit his motion it's not enough for him to notice.

Dr. Newton told us that sooner or later every tether will break. It's just a matter of time. The reason the tethers help long term is that as the patient grows they pull the curve in and reshape the vertebrae from wedged to flat. Without growth the vertebrae probably wouldn't flatten out enough to make a significant, long term difference.

As it stands now this procedure is best used for kids with several years of growth remaining.
                              Last edited by Dingo; 08-07-2020, 07:21 PM.

Comment

• Dingo, 2 years today....Congratulations!

How do they know when a tether breaks? Did Dr Newton show you on the x-ray what they look at? and which level broke first?

There was a lot of tethering chatter here a few years ago....and then when Sharon posted about the tethers eventually breaking..... let's just say it wasn't the best of news. I thought of Scott, but knew he was at the tail end of growth and would be ok. I came really close to sending you a PM.

I am also EXTREMELY, EXTREMELY grateful for all the work our surgeons and scientists have done over the years. I watched the evolution of scoliosis treatment since 1975 when I was a Luque wire candidate and they really didn't want to do that.... You just don't fuse kids to the Pelvis. (If you don't have to) It's when there is nothing that can be done for a disease that the appreciation or need or want for a treatment becomes amplified. I waited 33 years, then was saved. Talk about luck and timing.

We also cannot forget all the existing and prior scoliosis patients that really paid the price of pain and hardship. From the racks of Hippocrates, metal braces of the 1700's, coil springs in Poland, casting surgeries requiring long hospital stays, repeating growing rod surgeries in kids, and failed techniques over thousands of years, and early deaths... all the scoliosis patients paid the highest price....

I really miss your posts around here. I suppose it's good to take a break and stop worrying after all the years....

Ed
                                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                                X