Elizabeth Taylor - scoliosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elizabeth Taylor - scoliosis

I didn't know where to post this... I didn't realize she was in a wheelchair due to scoliosis.

Liz Taylor
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Elizabeth Taylor is still a lovely lady. I applaud her. I ran across this article over a year ago about her when I was doing my exhaustive research on scoliosis. It's quite interesting as it says she was apparently born with scoliosis. You would have never known it in her movies.

http://www.askmen.com/celebs/enterta...-problems.html

Comment

Her scoliosis is de novo scoliosis. She may have had a small scoliosis when she was younger, but the real damage has come from degeneration.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Linda, you are correct about her scoliosis. My scoliosis is the same as Elizabeth Taylor's. I always wondered why she didn't choose to have surgery. Maybe she was not a good surgical risk. I know she has been in wheelchair for several years.
        Sally
        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

In an interview with Larry King - Ms. Taylor states that she has had scoliosis from birth (double curve). I can recall several reported hospitalizations throughout her career, for back surgery. While the details of those surgeries were never released, the fact that she had a major spinal fusion in 1957 does appear in her biography.

Comment

Originally posted by mamamax View Post
            In an interview with Larry King - Ms. Taylor states that she has had scoliosis from birth (double curve). I can recall several reported hospitalizations throughout her career, for back surgery. While the details of those surgeries were never released, the fact that she had a major spinal fusion in 1957 does appear in her biography.
            Thanks for pointing that out. ;-)

I believe the scoliosis she was born with was very minor. Because I have a Google Alert for scoliosis, I've been following this issue for a long time. Rent some of her movies. There are plenty of shots of her back when she's bending over, and there is no obvious curve. The problems she's been having for the last 5 years or so are due to degeneration. She did have a 3 or 4 level fusion in the 50's, but it was thought to be due to an injury, not scoliosis.
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Mamamax,

I happened to see the transcript for that Larry King interview when I was hunting for my original article. Here is the link to the transcript and the interesting comments:

KING: The story about health. There must be -- I mean you are -- you're in a chair, right?

TAYLOR: Yes.

KING: In a wheelchair.

TAYLOR: Yes.

KING: What's the reason for that?

TAYLOR: My back, which has been chronically bad since I was a teenager.

KING: You had that at national velvet time, right?

TAYLOR: Before that.

KING: Before that?

TAYLOR: I was born with scoliosis. But not too many people -- you know now.

KING: Are born with scoliosis, which is?

TAYLOR: Curvature -- double curvature of the spine and osteoporosis.
              http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP...30/lkl.01.html

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                Thanks for pointing that out. ;-)

I believe the scoliosis she was born with was very minor. Because I have a Google Alert for scoliosis, I've been following this issue for a long time. Rent some of her movies. There are plenty of shots of her back when she's bending over, and there is no obvious curve. The problems she's been having for the last 5 years or so are due to degeneration. She did have a 3 or 4 level fusion in the 50's, but it was thought to be due to an injury, not scoliosis.
                Welcome. Lord knows i think i've seen every movie she's ever made and i agree, one sure can't tell. Of course, Hollywood is famous for shooting at just the right angles, right lighting, etc. Also - the human body does have an amazing ability to compensate. That's what my doctors have said anyway, looking from my xrays .. to .. me ;-) Hollywood circa her time - may have been prone to hide such things.

Comment

Liz Taylor has passed away, she was a scoliosis survivor as we all are.

May she rest in peace.
                  Ed
                  49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                  Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                  ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                  Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                    Rent some of her movies. There are plenty of shots of her back when she's bending over, and there is no obvious curve.
                    She had a back double. :>

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                      Liz Taylor has passed away, she was a scoliosis survivor as we all are.

May she rest in peace.
                      Ed
                      yes she was (a survivor) ... echo the sentiment, rest in peace dear Liz.

Comment

She had a lot more than scoliosis going on in her life -- a lot more maladies and certainly a lot more fame, money, and husbands than the rest of us!! haha

I loved her movies and admired her talent and spunk.
                        Chris
                        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Originally posted by mamamax View Post
                          yes she was (a survivor) ... echo the sentiment, rest in peace dear Liz.

Did you know she hated being called Liz?
                          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

uh no - didn't know that. Trust she forgives me & Ed :-)

Did anyone come across her obituary? I think she may of disliked the first sentence even more.

With her timeless beauty, on-screen dramas and off-screen theatrics, Elizabeth Taylor was the epitome of Hollywood excess.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10881322
                            Last edited by mamamax; 03-26-2011, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Maxine
                              She does! lol

I have looked at hundreds of pics, and even watched a few movies on you tube, and I cannot see any evidence of scoliosis....(years ago) Its obvious in her later “wheelchair” years.

She probably could have benefitted from a full fusion about 20 years ago.

Is it possible to use a double for every movie she made? Seems like a ton of work just to hide a rib hump...

Between Hollywood, all the husbands, the booze, the smokes, she lived a complex life....her 1957, 3 level fusion surgery might have acted as a catalyst. By the time she was in her 50s, she must have progressed quickly. Her pain must have been brutal, and alcohol really is of little benefit. She quit smoking in 1974 when she thought she had cancer.

Ed
                              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                              X