No announcement yet.

clothes w/brace...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My daughter always wear the pants under her brace and the shirts over. I hope low rise jeans don't go out of style!!

Comment

Yea, that's what natalie has been doing and it's fine. I think she just felt too awkward trying to put her pants over the brace. This way she feels more normal I think being able to wear her jeans she already had.

Comment

Hey Samiro,

Hi lol Im Smiley and I have been wearing my brace for about for 6 months and I really had no problem wearing it . What I usualy wear is a light sweater if your in a hot climate and in the summer I was this cute dress vest of mine its colored black and I could actually wear T-shrits. I also wear this kind of blouse that has different patterns, it totally will hide your brace. And I wear a longsleeve under a t-shirt for not-so-hot days. I hope this will help and that you continue wearing your brace
        SmileyGirl8
        T30
        Got my brace on March 21,2009
        Age 12
        <3

Comment

Hoodies are your lifesavers!

My trick with my brace is to always wear a t-shirt or some cute shirt with a hoodie or a coat in the winter. It doesnt show your straps and if you sit up straight can make it look really nice. I always buy a size up from what I normally wear and now it's great because I'm growing into them now so it looks fine on me. Don't worrying we're all in the same boat!

Comment

If you are in the Boston, it is similar to what my daughter does with her Cheneau - I make her a bodysuit that goes under the brace (with a crotch flap opening to use the bathroom). It's winter, so I make it with long legs. Then she loves to wear cute stretch knit dresses over her brace. So, from the outside, it looks like she's wearing a black T-shirt, leggings, and a cute dress. The brace is barely noticeable. She doesn't have to worry about layers under the brace or over and taking it on and off or anything like that. I'm always amazed at some of the complex wardrobes of the girls who wear braces, but this is just what worked for us.
            Tina

• Mom of Cynthia, age 8, 67 degree curve, former Spinecor Patient and current Cheneau Brace wearer
            • Mom of Vaughn, age 5, 18 degree curve - not yet braced, but closely monitored
            • Wife of Andy, adult with 26 degree curve, diagnosed as a teenager, no bracing or surgery

www.scoliosisfamilyadventures.wordpress.com
            www.EmBracedInComfort.com

Comment

I wore the world famous Milwaukee brace for years and I pretty much wore the same clothes - maybe a bit larger to account for all the plastic and metal (lots of that!) but I did do a lot of jeans, sweats, sweatshirts, big t-shirts. Still to this day I wear a lot of jackets because I am so conscious of my curve. Looks kinda weird when you're walking down the hallway at work with one hip higher than the other, one shoulder drooping, etc.
              Rita Thompson
              Age 46
              Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
              Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
              Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
              Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

It's All Good

Hey! don't worry I've had my brace since last year and it gets easy. your brace will take a wear on Clothes but usually it's easy to wear t-shirts and comfy pants. but i do have jeans that fight over. i do have a lot of holes in my shirts from the velcro.

Comment

Hey There,
                  I wear my brace for 22 hours right now so yes before I did have a problem on what to wear for school and everything. It's fairly cold where I'm from so I usually wear hoodies everyday and in the summer I wear a T-shirt first then those fashionably vests you get in any store. By vest I mean those ones that like rock stars wear . And 1 question how long do you have to wear your brace until you can take it off?
                  I hope that helped you a little
                  SmileyGirl8
                  T30
                  Got my brace on March 21,2009
                  Age 12
                  <3

Comment

I ordered maternity bands so my daughter can weear her jeans. I didnt get it yet... I'm hoping it will fit snug enough to work. It will look like a tank top under her clothing ..layers are in style......I ordered one black and one whit with lace trim.....its a very stretchy material......If your interested I can let you know if it works......

Samantha

Originally posted by MamaBear View Post
                    My daughter is a big fan of skinny jeans. Her brace pushes her jeans down and since we got her brace all she is wearing are pajamas. How do you all wear your jeans? Over or under the brace?

Comment

clothes

I like all the ideas, but I also tell my daughter "so what if the brace shows" I dont think it should be a big deal if it does. I tell her she looks great no matter what. the baby doll shirts are best but sometimes she just wants to wear a regular t shirt.

Ilana's mom

(Ilana's middle curve is 50 degrees)

Comment

My daughter used to wear the brace to school. she'd wear hoodies or big dark tops and sports pants. When it was warm, she'd wear skirts with a light hood zip jacket to help cover the bulk of the straps.

She no longer wears it during the day to school but only at night and likes to wear it at home on the weekends. She has been wearing it now for 3 years.

I also had a dancers body suit made into a type of onsie where there are snaps at the crotch. This helps with using the bathroom. The SpineCor ones did not work well for her. I also had some bottoms made that also go under the bottom part so it would not bother her legs. We had an opening put in that too.

So, elastic loose fitting clothes work the best.

Comment

My 14 year old daughter had to get all new clothes these past couple of weeks, NONE of her old shirts fit. By accident, I bought her 2 maternity shirts and they fit great. They give just enough loose material in the front and then also kinda cuff at the bottom down past her brace. They looked really cute! She has no issues with her skinny jeans under the brace.

Comment

hey um well i wore my brace for over 2 years now & i have 6 more months left. what i did is buy just one size bigger for pants or skirts, and for shirts if they are already loose shirts than it shoesnt show unless its white or see through. if you wanna wear t-shirts that are pretty tight i suggest you wear a tank top underneath. or a jacket. because from the front it doesnt show, except looks like you havee a very flat stomach which isnt bad. from the back the brackets might show a bit. if you want reply to this and i can send some pics of outfits that go perfectly fine wid a brace.

Comment

Working...
                            X