Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RitaR View Post
    Hey Sherie,
    I saw your private message, but i just went into Outlook and sent you a message from there. So, you'll have to get in your email to read my message. Sorry. I didn't think about replying in here. See, told ya I was a newbie on here.....
    Oh and nice to meet you....
    It's already been nice talking with you...
    Nice to meet you too.
    Glad to help in anyway I can.

Comment

Hey Jennifer,
      Nice to meet you - Yes, I love this site. I no longer feel ALONE with all this pain. It helps to know there are others who feel the same.
      We will talk again I am sure.
      PS: I now have appt with Dr. Lenke - Aug 19th. OMG! Hope I can wait till then....
      Rita Thompson
      Age 46
      Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
      Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
      Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
      Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Well, I have to say, I took someone's advice on here, mostly because I am a newbie of sorts to this forum and already seeking advice I guess. I tried calling Dr. Lenke's office this morning around 9:00 and by 10:30 she called me back and made an appointment for me. I see him on Aug 19th, which sounds long ways off, but when you think about it, could have been lots further out, like November or December. More worrisome, however, is that he is currently scheduling surgery for February. OMG! But, she said they always move people up if they're bad enough and experiencing a lot of problems, so we'll just wait and go from there. She was very nice and sympathetic to my symptoms, travel distance, etc. So, if you can go by first impressions, I'm off and running already.
        So, my hats off to whomever suggested I call the dr myself - I hadn't thought of doing that yet, but it certainly worked.
        I'll be on here periodically, mostly looking for a sympathetic ear probably while I wait for my appt.
        THANKS!
        Rita Thompson
        Age 46

Comment

Just wondering here - can someone give me an idea how long they were in the hospital with this surgery? And, where did your family member stay while you were in the hospital? I'm assuming it's going to be a while before I can travel home after having surgery. Although knowing they do have drugs, but I am just not a drug person, if you know what I mean.... as soon as I can I'm off those goofy acting drugs. I hate the way they make you feel. I'd almost rather be in pain - well, almost... (tee hee!)
          Last edited by RitaR; 06-03-2009, 09:02 PM.
          Rita Thompson
          Age 46

Comment

Originally posted by RitaR View Post
            Well, I have to say, I took someone's advice on here, mostly because I am a newbie of sorts to this forum and already seeking advice I guess. I tried calling Dr. Lenke's office this morning around 9:00 and by 10:30 she called me back and made an appointment for me. I see him on Aug 19th, which sounds long ways off, but when you think about it, could have been lots further out, like November or December. More worrisome, however, is that he is currently scheduling surgery for February. OMG! But, she said they always move people up if they're bad enough and experiencing a lot of problems, so we'll just wait and go from there. She was very nice and sympathetic to my symptoms, travel distance, etc. So, if you can go by first impressions, I'm off and running already.
            So, my hats off to whomever suggested I call the dr myself - I hadn't thought of doing that yet, but it certainly worked.
            I'll be on here periodically, mostly looking for a sympathetic ear probably while I wait for my appt.
            THANKS!
            Rita,

I'm so glad!! Persistence can sometimes pay! I was in the hospital for 6 days. When I was there, my husband stayed in the hospital guest house right across the street, which (in NYC) was a bargain at $100 per night. He wanted to stay close and not have to go home to NJ every night which distance-wise isn't far, but can take a long time to get back and forth.

I hated drugs too, but for me there was no question. I just needed some relief. It's not like the drugs I was on took all the pain away either; they just made it tolerable. Of course, over the weeks after surgery, the pain gradually decreased. Even though it's hard to believe that in the beginning, it's true.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I cannot even fathom if after surgery this pain is even some better.
              I cannot walk for more gthan 10 minues without being in sheer agony. And, I know walking is a must to keep limbered up - but if it causes this much pain. What to do? It effects everything you do - everything you think. I long for those days when I had no pain and just forgot about even having his dreadful curve thing. Waiting until Aug 19th for my appt is going to be a very long time I'm afraid. I am sooooo glad I have this site to vent. Ugh! Anyone have any ideas of what they've done to make walking a litlte more tolerable? I can't even p repare dinner without being in sheer agony that by the tikme Im ready to eat - nothing sounds good if you're dying in pain.
              Sorry, is this whining?
              Rita Thompson
              Age 46

Comment

I hesitate to stick my neck out here, but reading of your pain, I am going to suggest you try a magnetic wrap, in the meantime. I used to use one before my surgery and it worked. And I never expected it would. A friend talked me into trying it. I know many (including myself, once) would be sceptical, but it worked for me, perhaps it will for you too.

Considering the degree of your pain, you might be willing to try anything. The best ones are the non-rigid ones. They are like a wide piece of elastic with magnets sewn into it. They are held by velcro. They were also much cheaper than the rigid ones.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Have you tried Physical Tehrapy, CLEAR Institute, Spinecor or any alternatives to surgery yet?

Comment

Hi Rita!
                    I'm new here too and it is wonderful.
                    I'm 30 years old and I wore a milwaukee too when I was 12 for about a year. It certainly was not fun. I'm going to make you fell better saying that I have a 95* curvature. And those chest pains that you have I have them too. You are NOT alone. And I'm soo happy that I am not alone too. I 'm contemplating surgery as well. In fact, I have schedule the surgery for sep 3rd. I'm just nervous and hesitant about it. I do not have leg pains or back pains (only lower back sometimes and chest pains) but I don't want to have any pains in the future, so that's why I will probably go ahead with the surgery. I'm scared because it is a complicated open anterior and posterior ( that is 2 surgeries), so I guess I will have to be in the hospital for lomg time.
                    I have my last appointment with my surgeron next week so we'll see.
                    Pilar
                    Scoliosis Diagnosed at age 12. Wore Milwaukee brace for 2 years.
                    Now age 32
                    Pre-op curves: C86-T98-L37
                    Surgery date: 12/6/2010 (anterior) 12/10/2010 (posterior)
                    Fused T2 to L5 with thoracoplasty.
                    Post-op curves: C48-T47-L17
                    Dr. Robert Pashman
                    Cedars Sinai, Los Angeles, CA
                    Before and after xrays :
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...5&d=1292969215

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                      Hi Rita!
                      I'm new here too and it is wonderful.
                      I'm 30 years old and I wore a milwaukee too when I was 12 for about a year. It certainly was not fun. I'm going to make you fell better saying that I have a 95* curvature. And those chest pains that you have I have them too. You are NOT alone. And I'm soo happy that I am not alone too. I 'm contemplating surgery as well. In fact, I have schedule the surgery for sep 3rd. I'm just nervous and hesitant about it. I do not have leg pains or back pains (only lower back sometimes and chest pains) but I don't want to have any pains in the future, so that's why I will probably go ahead with the surgery. I'm scared because it is a complicated open anterior and posterior ( that is 2 surgeries), so I guess I will have to be in the hospital for lomg time.
                      I have my last appointment with my surgeron next week so we'll see.
                      Pilar
                      I've only been reading this forum for about 18 months but I can't recall reading any testimonials from folks who had little pain before surgery coming out with much more pain long term. I think the surgeon would know about the stats on that.

Good luck.
                      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                      X