Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what kinds of exercises are you doing post-op??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what kinds of exercises are you doing post-op??

I am about 3 yrs post op & just wondering what exercises you all are doing if so? I am now 49.
    I try to go to the gym about 2 times or 3 a week and do the tread mill(about 25 -30 min) and the recumbant bike for a bit. I still try & do my leg lifts, one leg at a time. I also do the step up & down.
    Any suggestions on scoliosis exercises would be great. I do plan to try swimming this summer as last year I still felt too stiff.
    Thanks, Lynne

I am only 5 months out...but I walk...probably what would be considered a lot. My surgeon has always been adamant about that. Other than that, some isometric exercises for the abs, and glutes. Also some lunges, shoulder presses (only with 5lb weights...my weight lifting limit hasn't been increased past 10lbs yet), bicep curls (again 5lbs), bridges, balance and core work.
    25 years old
    double 70+ degree curves before surgery
    Anterior on 11/11/08
    Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
    nearly perfect correction
    fused t-10 to pelvis
    with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
    Broke left rod on 10/24/09
    Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
    Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
    Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

Comment

I'm curious too! How can I strengthen the muscles surrounding the hardware or my core when I have rods going from top to bottom???? I go to the gym 3-4 times a week and just when I think I can do anything.......I get severe muscle spasms in my back. I've been on the treadmill, elliptical, bike, & lift light weights. It's somewhat frustrating & my dr. says phys. therapy won't help . =(
      Jenn
      37 y/o female
      60 degree lumbar
      45 degree thoracic
      1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
      T 5 to S 1
      NYC

Comment

Summer (and Lynne), I have found through trial and error that the only things I can do are a lot of walking, (treadmill and outside), the recumbent bike, gentle stretches, and very gentle leg lifts while lying down. I wonder if you're trying to do TOO much and that is contributing to your spasms. I found the elliptical to be especially rough on my torso muscles.
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Originally posted by fierceliketiger View Post
          I am only 5 months out...but I walk...probably what would be considered a lot. My surgeon has always been adamant about that. Other than that, some isometric exercises for the abs, and glutes. Also some lunges, shoulder presses (only with 5lb weights...my weight lifting limit hasn't been increased past 10lbs yet), bicep curls (again 5lbs), bridges, balance and core work.
          Fierce,

what are bridges? I am only using 2lb hand weights and 1.5 lb ankle weights. I can't go any higher without turning my back into a spasming wreck.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Lynn,

I think I told you last time we spoke; about a month ago I started taking an aerobic dance class, the same program that I used to teach years ago. I LOVE it and am able to do most of what the others do. When they do ab work that I can't do, I do some of my leg and core exercises that I learned at physical therapy. Right now I'm going to the class 3x a week and just have a ball. I'll be bummed when I have to start working and can't go as often.

Comment

If you do a search, you'll find this is often wondered about... and I remember one where I even typed up some exercises from PT that I was doing at the time. Here's the link to that thread, but there are others too. The exercises I wrote up are in post #14 of this thread: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...ning+exercises

Best wishes. And remember that sometimes you need to build up to doing very much. I did, kept with it, and the exercises really helped me build back my strength.

Fierce-- I was surprised to see you list bridges. My scoli nurse was so adamant that those were terrible-- she told my PT guy "ABSOLUTELY NO BRIDGES!!!" (yes, she put all caps and three exclamation points!) But maybe your fusion isn't as long as mine or your surgeon doesn't feel the same way as mine.
              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Thanks everyone..
                I really keep to the tread mill at a medium speed. I feel like I don't want to over do it so keep to 30 min at the most per visit. I have shyed away from weights & the aerobics classes so far.
                I absolutely love to work in my garden areas( good exercise) but still try to keep to a few hours a day. It totally exhausts me but cannot stay away. Many a day I sit down to plant & by the end, I can't get up again due to the lower fusion!!
                Thks-Lynne
                Last edited by lelc2002@yahoo; 05-14-2009, 07:40 PM.

Comment

My doctor told me before going into surgury, if you do not use it you are going to lose it. So while in bed my father would make me work my legs by putting preasure on the bottom and making me push. Afterwards, I was in a body ast for 6 months and mom and I walked. After the cast came the brace for 6 more months, but only during the day... I was allowed to streach while laying in my bed.. still walked.

Getting a teenager to excercise was difficult for my parens so we ended up doing pain management with pills. and that worked... until I had my son... can not be drugged with a baby, so I went back to my doctor.

I am 38 now. I still am not supposed to lift over 15 pounds, unless I am on a machine where my back is suppported... Nautilis is the brand they have at my gym.

But I like the body resistance ones best. Tai Chi, Pilates, and Fluidity are low impact, use your own body for resistance and while I started slow and didn't even try some of the back movements at first... now I can do them all.

Consult your doctor first!!!

Cynthia

Comment

i am not allowed to start pt until 6 months post-op but when I saw that you listed bridges my body and back recoiled in horror. I could do bridges very poorly after my 3 level lumbar fusion and there were times I could barely do a bridge at all. I can't imagine doing a bridge now with hardware up to t6 and down through the pelvis. I would think they would be terribly hard to do and not good at all but I don't really know. I am looking forward to trying a plank but I have at least another 3 months before I can try it. I loved pilates and really hope I will be able to get back to it at some point in time.
                    avis
                    1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
                    2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
                    2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
                    Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Bridges are:
                      http://www.advantagemultisport.com/i..._p3cq_gfyr.jpg
                      there are various progressions of it, this is where I am at:
                      only, my one leg is straight, not bent, and the other is slightly lifted off the ball, not all the way in the air.
                      I would double check with your surgeon before you do anything though.

I guess since you keep your back straight with bridges its okay? It did build the crap out of my butt muscles.
                      25 years old
                      double 70+ degree curves before surgery
                      Anterior on 11/11/08
                      Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
                      nearly perfect correction
                      fused t-10 to pelvis
                      with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
                      Broke left rod on 10/24/09
                      Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
                      Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
                      Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

Comment

Originally posted by fierceliketiger View Post
                        Bridges are:
                        there are various progressions of it, this is where I am at:
                        only, my one leg is straight, not bent, and the other is slightly lifted off the ball, not all the way in the air.
                        I would double check with your surgeon before you do anything though.

I guess since you keep your back straight with bridges its okay? It did build the crap out of my butt muscles.

That's what I thought. Those are definitely on my 'prohibited' list. Be careful with them.

Comment

Working...
                        X