What Scar Should Look Like

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Scar Should Look Like

I have a quick question. How much should your scar have faded by the time you are a little over a year post-op? I assumed that it would be really light by now, but it's still a bit noticeable and light pink. I mean, it's not bad, I just thought it would be more white and the color of my skin. Thanks!!

And, btw, Happy Mother's Day to all moms haha. =)
    Nicole//18 years old, college sophomore//50 degree thoracolumbar curve//Posterior Spinal Fusion in 2008, Fused T5 to L3

Originally posted by danceISlife View Post
    I have a quick question. How much should your scar have faded by the time you are a little over a year post-op? I assumed that it would be really light by now, but it's still a bit noticeable and light pink. I mean, it's not bad, I just thought it would be more white and the color of my skin. Thanks!!

And, btw, Happy Mother's Day to all moms haha. =)
    I really can't tell you since you are ahead of me. My husband tells me how wonderful mine looks and how much better than even a few months ago. But when I look at it in a mirror....ICK!!! At least in my opinion I know that I am supposed to keep it out of the sun this summer. Not that I will wear a bikini or anything, but still...it shows above the top of the one piece bathing suit.

Tell me Dance...are you a senior at EBHS? Because my oldest son is now.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hey,
      I had surgery just 6 days before you! I thought mine would be faded more...but it is still pretty noticable. Darker pink, mine wasn't exposed to sun for a complete year! Now, I put a 50 SPF sun screen on and have my mom watch it very carefully! Should fade out though... Hope this helps!
      Diagnosed in '06'
      Wore TLSO brace for 18 mo.
      Upper curve 40 degrees; lower 35 degrees
      Surgery in March '08' (T6 - T11)
      Rods for 7 vertabraes; 3 fused
      Still have lumbar curve (T12 - L4) of now, 33 degrees
      I have osteoarthritis, 3 bulging discs, stenosis, fast progressing lordosis, vertebrea twisting (vertebreas almost on side) all in lumbar spine. Will most likely have another surgery to extend rods and fusion. :'(

Comment

Well I'll tell you what the surgeon that worked on my wife said... He said that each person heals differently, and that its hard to say how noticable your scar will be after it heals.

My wife had surgery on her arm, on the elbow, her scar was pretty red for awhile and slowly faded over time. She says it was about two years for the redness to go completely away. Now you have to really look to see the scar.
        Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
        Still have 57 degree curve
        2 Harrington rods
        Luque method used
        Dr David Bradford
        Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
        Preop xray (with brace on)
        Postop xray

Comment

Thanks guys!!
          Now I don't feel so bad about my scar still being pretty visible lol. I honestly don't really mind, I just wanted to know if most people are healed better by now.

And Debbe, no, I don't go there. But I know it's really close to where I had surgery (though I'm guessing you already know that haha).
          Nicole//18 years old, college sophomore//50 degree thoracolumbar curve//Posterior Spinal Fusion in 2008, Fused T5 to L3

Comment

Good Morning~
            When I went to therapy the other day the therrapist said I needed to start Scar Massage. She advised using Mederma and have someone firmly massage the scar to prevent adhesions and help circulation in the scar tissue. My daughters said they really didn't think they could, but I have been doing it every day at least once since. I think I can tell a difference in just four days.
            ~Em

Diagnosed at 13, Milw brace-didn't wear it like I should have.
            pre-surg 78* Thoracic,
            post-surg 22* Thoracic.
            Fusion from T2 to L2 scheduled for April 15, 09 in Tulsa, OK

Comment

I would not have someone apply anything to your scar without first checking with your surgeon. My scar has remained untouched since my surgery and has healed just fine on its own.

Comment

Yes, definitely! My doctor had said I could use triple antibiotic then once the incision healed Mederma would be fine. But everyone should check with their doctors. I remember hearing about scar massage in nursing school, but forgot all about it; that was too many years ago.
                ~Em

Diagnosed at 13, Milw brace-didn't wear it like I should have.
                pre-surg 78* Thoracic,
                post-surg 22* Thoracic.
                Fusion from T2 to L2 scheduled for April 15, 09 in Tulsa, OK

Comment

Yeah, I wasn't allowed to put anything on mine until it was completely healed... Does it hurt you or anyone else to have it massaged or pushed on?
                  Diagnosed in '06'
                  Wore TLSO brace for 18 mo.
                  Upper curve 40 degrees; lower 35 degrees
                  Surgery in March '08' (T6 - T11)
                  Rods for 7 vertabraes; 3 fused
                  Still have lumbar curve (T12 - L4) of now, 33 degrees
                  I have osteoarthritis, 3 bulging discs, stenosis, fast progressing lordosis, vertebrea twisting (vertebreas almost on side) all in lumbar spine. Will most likely have another surgery to extend rods and fusion. :'(

Comment

Hello,
                    My scar is faded but still there at 3 yrs post op. The part of it on my tummy(had ant/post) & down to almost my pelvic area is still very visible. It used to scare me in the shower but now it's just a part of me!
                    Lynne

Comment

Working...
                    X