Update on Esme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on Esme

Esme saw the orthopaedic doctor today. There has been no change in her curves over the past six months. She has not had any other treatment during the last six months - like the Structural Integration or Shroth or chiropractic. She will be 15 in June.

The doctor is not recommending surgery at this time. He knows we don't want this and says it is okay not to do the surgery - at least for now. He commented on and we discussed how treatment options may change over the next ten to twenty years. He noted how much treatment options have changed over the past fifteen years. We are prepared, at least for now, to sit this out for a little longer before we make a decision re the surgery. This is our personal decision as a family based on hours and hours of reading medical documents/reports and discussions with several orthopaedic doctors. We go back in six months for another check-up.

We are seriously considering putting Esme into an intensive Shroth program this summer. The trip to Germany and the language issue is all that stopped us from doing this sooner however now it is now available here in Ottawa we will most likely give this a try once her school year is over.

Ruth
    Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Hi Ruth

It's good to hear that Esme's curves are stable now. Sheena's had also stabilized at the time of surgery and we could have also waited. I completely respect your opinion to wait. For me, it was an agonizing decision but, I don't regret having gone through it. Sheena can now go on without this hanging over her head (that's probably been the best part of this whole ordeal is not having to think about it 24/7). She still has occasional aches and pains but she was also in pain and discomfort prior to surgery so, overall, her quality of life has improved along with her self-esteem.

I hope everything works out for your family.

Comment

Hi Ruth
      Thank you for sharing your good news. What a relief that Esme's curves have remained stable the past 6 months!
      Please keep us updated and let us know if you try the Schroth program this summer. My daughter has had positive results from doing her daily Schroth exercises, so I hope it will help Esme too.

Comment

Working...
      X