CarlyG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CarlyG

Hi, I'm a 12 year old girl and I had spinal fusion surgery in November 2008. My curves were 70 degrees lumbar and 64 degrees thoracic. The spinal fusion surgery seemed like the scariest thing ever, but after having the surgery I am so happy I did it. If anyone has any questions I would be happy to answer and share my experience.
    Last edited by CarlyG; 05-02-2009, 05:37 PM. Reason: Correct title

Hi CarlyG.

Very glad you had a great result with your fusion.

It's good when kids can speak directly about their experience rather than just reading what the parents say.

Can I ask if you ever wore a brace? One of my daughters had the surgery without ever wearing a brace and the other is wearing a Charleston now with little effect.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

CarlyG

Hi Pooka1, no I never wore a brace. When I found out I had scoliosis it was too late to try bracing. I went to 3 different doctors: they all said the same thing... I needed surgery. I liked Dr. Sponseller from Johns Hopkins. I liked that he took his time and did not rush.

Dr.Sponseller said that even if I had caught it earlier the brace might not have worked in my case. It is always good to try the brace. My mom was really involved with me and that really helps me deal with my scoliosis. Your daughters are lucky to have your support.

Comment

Working...
      X