What to Expect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to Expect

We have scheduled surgery for July 23 at Cook Children's Medical Center in Ft. Worth. Right now my head is spinning! Any suggestions on questions I need to be asking the doctor? I feel totally lost. Nolan has a 62 degree curve, is 14, has a multitude of medical problems. The closer it gets, the more worried I become. I have no idea what to expect on recovery.

Sending Best Wishes your way! Ask lots of questions. And, since you already (probably) know what works best for him pain-wise, be sure to tell EVERYONE what works and what doesn't work. Every body is different. If he's prone to constipation post-surgery (like most people) plan for that BEFORE surgery. Dealing with GI issues during recovery is NOT fun. Write your questions down and then review them about a month before surgery. Decide which are the most important questions and call or email the doc (or assistant) for answers. You need to be 100% confident in the doc and the procedure and everything else. The biggest worries are post-surgery. Surgeons often are not much help for this. Talk to as many people about post-surgery care as possible. Scoliosis surgery is not a gentle surgery. Plan for a HUGE surgery and recovery. Anything less will be a pleasant surprise. Lots to think about, I know. Best wishes to you both!
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Would you recommend getting a hospital bed for after the surgery. Also, what about the trip home? Our hospital is about 6 hours from our home. We have a Yukon that we could take the seats out and put in an air mattress.

Comment

Teresa,
        My name is Alvera....I'm not far from you, live in Guymon, OK.
        You may have already done your surgeon research. Amarillo, Tx. has Scoliosis surgeon...Name is Michael O. LaGrone...you may check him out on the web...
        Wishing your son the best.
        Alvera

Comment

Hi! I live in the Texas Panhandle too and we are also seeing Dr. Gray at Cooks. My daughters surgery is May 28 and we love Dr. Gray. She is 14.We started out at LaGrone and and IMHO his bedside manner had much to be desired. He is probably better with adults. We too will be traveling the 5 hours home from Fort Worth.
          I can't believe someone else from the Panhandle is seeing Dr. Gray!
          Becky

Comment

La Grone

We saw Dr. LaGrone because he had operated on my nephew's back for a football injury. My brother recommended him. However, when we saw him, he said because of Nolan's panhypopituitarism, he wouldn't feel comfortable with the after care and recommended we take him back to Cook's.
            Teresa

Comment

Using the air mattress is a good idea. Make sure he takes pain medicine 30 minutes before you leave so it has time to start working. Plan on having to make several stops. We had a drive of a little over an hour to bring my daughter home from the hospital. Every bump HURTS. We stopped part way home for a few minutes to give her a break. Good luck
              T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
              2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
              3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
              Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Working...
              X