Needing surgery this summer-lots of ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey!

I am 14 years old (going on 15) and I had surgery last summer. Kids heal A LOT faster than adults do, trust me. My surgery was August 14th and my doc said I wouldn't be able to go to school, but I healed faster than he expected, and got to go to school. Sleeping is the hardest part after surgery, at least for me it was. You cant really roll, and if you want to get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, than you need help. My parents just gave me a cellphone and kept their phone by their bed, so that I could call them if I needed help. The rods and stuff you shouldn't be able to feel, but there is a slight change in flexibility. It has been about 9 months for me, so I can't entirely say it gets better yet. As far as back pain goes, after a few months I think it feels better than before the surgery. So I hope that I could help, and if you or your son has a question, feel free to private message me.
    Just keep looking up.

Comment

on coming home from the hospital

Hi,
      From everyone's posts it seems safe to asume that when my 18 year old comes home from the hospital he will be able to:

go up and down stairs

get a t-shirt on and off

use the bathroom

What things will he need the most help with ?

will he be able to get up out of a chair?
      pre-op
      18 years old
      thoracic curve 51
      lumbar curve 48

Comment

I have an eleven year old that is due for surgery this summer with approximately the same spine levels as yours. What was told to me was that as far as professional sports where a great amount of flexibility is important, such as gymnastics, diving etc., those abilities will be impaired, but for sports in general, soccer, tennis etc, there is no problem. Plus kids at that age are so adaptable that they do really well.

Tom

Comment

Hi,
          From everyone's posts it seems safe to asume that when my 18 year old comes home from the hospital he will be able to:

go up and down stairs

get a t-shirt on and off

use the bathroom

What things will he need the most help with ?

will he be able to get up out of a chair?

In my experience, yes to all three.

I needed to help my son get out of bed for the first few days. He could roll, but swinging his legs over and and sitting up required some assistance. He needed help putting on and taking off his shoes (before and after going for a walk) for several days. Because he was not allowed to bend, it took him a few days to figure out how to put his pants on, even sweats. I think I did help him out of the recliner a few times as he was getting used to using his arms more, but straight chairs were no problem. For quite a while if he dropped something it needed to be picked up by someone else (frustrating for him).

This may be specific for my son, but his neck got tired very easily right after surgery--I suspect that the muscles were not used to holding his head a different way on his new, straighter spine--and often needed a pillow for support. If his chair didn't have a headrest (for example the wheelchair he sat in to get across the airport on the way home), he would ask me to stand behind him so he could lean his head against me.

Comment

Working...
          X