Spinecor Brace for Adults

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ballet Mom View Post
    Do you know what percentage of those donations coming from private individuals are from orthopedic surgeons?

Just curious.
    I have no idea how the static content on this site is determined, but I've never seen a post deleted because it had anti-manufacturer content, and I have seen the one surgeon who posted here (with a strong manufacturing link) have his posts deleted.

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
      The people interested in evidence hopefully stay and that is what matters.
      Personally I think what matters is that everyone who needs help gets it. If they are driven off before they can learn anything how is that a good thing? There is a way to have a healthy debate without completely demoralizing people.
      1993, Age 13, 53* Right T Curve w/ Left L compensatory
      2010, Age 30, 63* or 68* (depending on the doc) Right T Curve w/ Left L compensatory

http://livingtwisted.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mehera View Post
        Personally I think what matters is that everyone who needs help gets it. If they are driven off before they can learn anything how is that a good thing? There is a way to have a healthy debate without completely demoralizing people.
        Actually, there are some subjects wherein there is no acceptable way to criticize ideas that desperately need criticism. There is no way to word the evidence or to point out a lack of evidence. Social taboos stand in the way. Progress is impossible in those cases.

There are some here who are demonstrably NOT interested in facts and evidence. I suggest they will never get the help they need.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

i don't know that anyone is "anti manufacturing"

i just want to know who is who and what, if anything, they stand to gain if they post here...or if they work making money off those suffering with scoli...
          i think people like to know if someone has a hidden agenda going on...
          like being a manufacturer of rods or braces, or being a surgeon...
          that isn't "anti" anything..just a desire for full disclosure...

jess

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post

i just want to know who is who and what, if anything, they stand to gain if they post here...or if they work making money off those suffering with scoli...

jess
            Yes exactly. That is why Smith was treated so harshly. And rightly so.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post

jess
              I agree completely.

I had assumed that this site was probably funded by medical device companies because they were funding so many other scoliosis sites.

I now wonder about whether surgeons are funding it, for the most part, because it was my daughter's original surgeon who sent us to this site. So perhaps they have set it up to help patients become comfortable with having surgery. Which is fine, but if there is such a motive, it should be out in the open so others aren't just drummed off of the site unceremoniously for searching out information on conservative treatments.

Comment

i have never felt "drummed off" for searching for conservative treatments...i have not chosen surgery...yet...or have chosen it and changed my mind repeatedly...but have never felt pressured NOT to search for less than surgical solutions...
                and i was not referred here by a surgeon...i found this site when searching scoli info on the internet...

that may not be your experience on this site.....but it has been my experience...

jess

Comment

I haven't seen any push back for alternative pain treatments, so you probably would not have noticed anything with your treatments. The push back seems to be against alternative treatments aimed at halting curve progression.

Comment

I had assumed that this site was probably funded by medical device companies because they were funding so many other scoliosis sites.

I now wonder about whether surgeons are funding it, for the most part, because it was my daughter's original surgeon who sent us to this site. So perhaps they have set it up to help patients become comfortable with having surgery. Which is fine, but if there is such a motive, it should be out in the open so others aren't just drummed off of the site unceremoniously for searching out information on conservative treatments.
                    First of all, one should never assume, as you did about medical device companies funding this site, which I believe we have determined they do not.

Please don't ASS-U-ME that surgeons are funding it either. Especially since you are basing that assumption solely on the fact that a surgeon mentioned it.

Just out of curiosity, since you seem to be spending a lot of time wondering about who funds this site - Have you ever wondered if the folks at Spinecor are funding it since the President of NSF has such close ties to that brace?

Or are they exempt from the assumptions and speculation that medical device companies and surgeons were subjected to??
                    Last edited by mariaf; 12-30-2010, 06:54 AM.
                    mariaf305@yahoo.com
                    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Based on the locked down threads and the treatment of the adult Spincor wearer on the site, if Spinecor has been funding this site, I think they should demand their money back

Comment

Originally posted by mariaf View Post
                        First of all, one should never assume, as you did about medical device companies funding this site, which I believe we have determined they do not.

Please don't ASS-U-ME that surgeons are funding it either. Especially since you are basing that assumption solely on the fact that a surgeon mentioned it.

Just out of curiosity, since you seem to be spending a lot of time wondering about who funds this site - Have you ever wondered if the folks at Spinecor are funding it since the President of NSF has such close ties to that brace?

Or are they exempt from the assumptions and speculation that medical device companies and surgeons were subjected to??
                        I had assumed the medical device manufacturers PROBABLY funded it and there were some good reasons to possibly think that. There's a difference.

I'm not ASSUMING that doctors are funding it either. That's why I asked the question...and am noticeably still waiting for an answer. People can make their own assumptions based on whether an answer appears or not. It's a valid question, especially when this site allows the dynamics on it that are allowed.

I agree with hdugger on the Spinecor funding of this site. It is hard for me to believe. I agree they should get their money back, and tort damages for the intentional infliction of emotional distress for the poor people who have been harassed for trying to participate in the non-surgical portions of this site.

Comment

It's a valid question, especially when this site allows the dynamics on it that are allowed.
                          What the site 'allows' is for people to express their opinions, experiences and beliefs about various treatment methods - whether they are similar or different from our own. Sounds fair to me.
                          mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

I agree with hdugger on the Spinecor funding of this site. It is hard for me to believe.
                            So, then, in answer to my original question, you are saying that unlike surgeons and medical device companies, the Spinecor makers HAVE been exempt from your speculations about who might be funding this site?
                            mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

I'm not conceding a damn thing about being on someone's, anyone's payroll until I actually get paid. (smiley face)

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

I want the university which issued my Masters in Public Health to pay me *not* to reveal their name

Comment

Working...
                                X