No announcement yet.

Spinecor Brace for Adults

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have what also feels like bone pain. Ultimately, it's all nerve pain since it is the nervous system that tells us that we have "pain". My knowledge is limited, but finding a brace that would correct in all planes would be difficult, since it would make sense that the natural kyphosis and lordosis could only be restored when the curve is reduced. Then you would still have issues with painful bones and pinches nerves if there were disc wedging and an unnatural pressure being put on these wedged discs and ultimately the nerve roots. Just my layperson thought... If they could come up with a brace that could address all these concerns, I think we would all be wearing them... ;-)
    Last edited by rohrer01; 02-18-2011, 07:16 AM. Reason: spelling
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

• Gabapentin is supposed to be aimed at relieving nerve pain. It was originally developed as an anti-seizure medication, but is now used for nerve pain. At least this is what I was told by my physician.
      Be happy!
      but we are alive today!

Comment

• I think that flexibility is the key.. and of course vertebra deformation should not be very big.
        Suppose your curve is reduced a 35% when you are lying down. Why you cannot keep a 25% of reduction being stand up? I think that proof can be done at home.

Comment

• I have had both standing and lying x-rays in the past. The curve magnitude does not change by more than 2 degrees. I guess I'm not flexible.
          Be happy!
          but we are alive today!

Comment

• I think that flexibility can be reached following specific therapies. I’ll not be surprised if then, the difference will be much greater.

Comment

• The idea of holding your "base" curve when standing is also key with the SEAS people.

They have a picture here - http://www.scoliosisjournal.com/cont...1/20/figure/F7

The basic idea is that the contribution of the three components (muscle, ligament, and bone) can be measured, respectively by:

* Measuring while standing (muscle contribution)
              * Measuring while lying (ligament contribution)
              * Measuring while lying in brace (bone contribution)

I *think* (but I'm not certain) that they aim their exercise only at the muscle component. I'm not certain how people get to the ligament component.

Roher, I think that having your curve not reduce when you lie down may just show that your muscles are strong. That is, they hold your body in the same configuration even when you're fighting gravity. But, that's pure hypothesis.

My son has a marked increase in his curve as the day goes on. I'm guessing, again, that that means that his muscles aren't all that strong.

I do wonder how doctors can compare curves across patients when the muscles play such a big role. Is my son's curve the one he has in the morning? Or the one he has by the end of the day?

Comment

• Originally posted by hdugger View Post
                Roher, I think that having your curve not reduce when you lie down may just show that your muscles are strong. That is, they hold your body in the same configuration even when you're fighting gravity. But, that's pure hypothesis.
                Maybe muscles of one side are stronger (high tone) that the other and shorter.
                Originally posted by hdugger View Post
                My son has a marked increase in his curve as the day goes on. I'm guessing, again, that that means that his muscles aren't all that strong.
                Maybe muscles of one side are not stronger (high tone) that the other or shorter.

Maybe gravity force has not find any kind of resistance while standing. In a normal back, that kind of resistance against gravity force in the frontal plane is not developed by muscles. Make the proof and you'll see.

Comment

• Originally posted by flerc View Post
                  Maybe gravity force has not find any kind of resistance while standing. In a normal back, that kind of resistance against gravity force in the frontal plane is not developed by muscles. Make the proof and you'll see.
                  Hudger, it don’t means that strengtheners muscular methods as SEAS and Schroth could not work. I don´t know the difference between both methods but I think that could shorten the longest muscles, and of course it should to help. Specially derotatory excercises should to work.

Good luck with your son!

Comment

• Darrin et al., if you're in Europe the best source of references to a Schroth therapist near you, who can almost certainly help relieve your pain fairly soon, is the clinic where most of them were trained. http://www.skoliose.com

Comment

• hi Darrin
                      i was told that a lot of the injections work for nerve related pain...so if that is part of your problem, perhaps some injections might help you...?
                      some injections haven't worked for me because my problems have a lot of structural elements to them...with some nerve stuff thrown in...
                      i also cannot expect to gain any flexibility due to those same structural problems...
                      and the bending X rays the surgeon did were a revelation...without gravity, i found out how NOT flexible i really am! quite a shock...to see how much difference gravity makes!

jess

Comment

• Howdy, thank you quite significantly!

The scope of pharmacy practice includes a lot more standard roles these as compounding and dispensing medications, and it also includes alot more fashionable providers associated to health and fitness treatment, including clinical services, reviewing medications for security and efficacy, and giving Buy Soma knowledge. Pharmacists, as a result, are the authorities on drug therapy and are the main health and wellbeing industry experts who optimize medicine use to offer patients with good wellness outcomes.

Comment

• Bone Pain

Roher, I am just skimming through this thread so I hope I am not repeating someone. I was just diagnosed with scoliosis last month. Along with this diagnosis, the doctor told me I had very low Vitamin D. I live in the South(USA) and am outside everyday, drink milk every morning with my muesli. Still trying to determine cause of low Vitamin D...
                          BUT a symptom low Vitamin D is pain, specifically bone pain. Worth being tested maybe? Unless you already have.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/vitamin-d-deficiency

Comment

• Originally posted by guarninna View Post
                            The scope of pharmacy practice includes a lot more standard roles these as compounding and dispensing medications, and it also includes alot more fashionable providers associated to health and fitness treatment, including clinical services, reviewing medications for security and efficacy, and giving Buy Soma knowledge. Pharmacists, as a result, are the authorities on drug therapy and are the main health and wellbeing industry experts who optimize medicine use to offer patients with good wellness outcomes.
                            Could our moderator remove the advertisements?

Comment

• Originally posted by mamamax View Post
                              Could our moderator remove the advertisements?
                              Please report spam by clicking on the emergency triangle in the gray bar below the offending posts.
                              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• The Continuing Saga

Originally posted by mamamax View Post
                                Bracing treatment ended for me after approximately 13 months. At fitting the standard protocol for both adolescents and adults was 2 years. I've noted that manufacturer has adjusted this time period for adults to 14 months.

I have been out of brace for some six months. Last xray shows minor cobb angle improvement (nothing worth making a case study out of). The greater reward has been in the area of pain management and postural rehabilitation. Prior to treatment my posture was that of an old lady (wait a minute, I am an old lady!), and pain levels 24/7 were enough to make me seriously contemplate surgery. In fact, I did consult with a well known SRS surgeon just prior to learning about Spinecor for adults.

Post treatment, the pain levels are only episodic with over exertion. This has been maintained six months post treatment and I can not detect any pain progression. Posture remains rehabilitated from 4'9" to 5' (evening measurement, morning is slightly higher).

Since beginning treatment I've come to learn that adult bracing is not such a new thing in Europe, and have even had the privelidge of corresponding with other adults who have tried it, with more cobb angle improvement, in conjunction with Schroth therapy. In Europe, this method is under Weiss (or those trained by him), with a different type of brace. So that is interesting, and I hope we see more of this in the future in the US.

Mine is just one story - documented evidence is limited and seems surrounded in controversy. At the time I began treatment, Spinecor was my only option (given time and resources) outside of surgery. I certainly can't say this treatment will have avoided surgery in the future (no one can), but I can say it avoided surgery for the present (based on pain and magnitude of curvature).

I've learned much over the course of these many months, regarding many things. Mostly, that my journey is not over, given my age, etc. My next step will involve Schroth therapy and for that I will look to the expertise of Bea Torres.

Special thanks to Joseph O'Brien for allowing me to share my story.

Some three years and three months post treatment ...

I am reminded that scoliosis is a condition that requires life long attention (wry smile). I was not able to follow up with Bea Torrees or find anyone locally trained in the Schroth method and so, feeling very well - just went about the business of living life without benefit of any consistent exercise specific to my curvatures. Naturally the best benefits I had achieved have slowly lost their hold. While pain levels have increased, they have not returned to pre treatment levels. I continue to be monitored by the surgical practice that wrote the Rx for the SpineCor brace, there has been no progression, and surgery is not recommended at this time. I remain able to work full time but lack what I can only call a level of endurance to do the things I enjoy.

At the age of 64, and with a new GP, I will soon have a full body bone density test. Based on results from the previous scan in 2007, she's concerned that I should have been on an aggressive treatment plan back then. So we shall see. Hopefully daily walking of my new canine companion, Wolfgang, has done some good.

Would I do it all over again? Absolutely. What would I do different? Well, I would have not turned a blind eye to the need of proper exercise. I blame any lost benefits on myself and take full responsibility for my own actions, or lack thereof. But it's not like any of us have a wealth of opportunity in the non surgical treatment of this condition and it really is up to patients to find their own way.

So what's the plan as I verge towards retirement? Iyengar Yoga under direction of someone who has used it to successfully manage their own case of scoliosis. I look forward to the journey.

My advice to other adults following SpineCor bracing? Don't rest on your laurels, follow up with a good exercise plan specific to your condition.
                                Last edited by mamamax; 04-03-2014, 09:10 PM. Reason: Two typos

Comment

Working...
                                X