Spinecor Brace for Adults

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinecor Brace for Adults

As suggested by Concerned Dad, I am opening a new thread on this topic, and will close the others.

Individuals who are interested in this treatment may post their own experience, or the results of others, from published studies in peer-reviewed journals. Posts that don't fall within this guideline will be removed.

This is from the Spinecor inventor's FAQ...
    Can an adult be fitted with SpineCor?
    A US study is now evaluating the use of SpineCor ttreatment for adult patients. The treatment objectives for adults are quite different to children but the same principles of postural re-education through dynamic exercise and neuromuscular feed back still apply. Treatment objectives for adults are postural improvement and pain reduction. Whilst postural improvements may lead to very small Cobb angle reductions, true correction of scoliotic curves in adults is not possible and should never be the treatment objective. Early results with adults are very positive, with both postural improvements and pain reduction in all patients to date.
    Can the brace be used on an adult to reduce back pain?
    Theoretically pain reduction in adults is possible, early treatment results do seem to support the hypothesis.
    Has any thought been given to eventually having an ''adult'' brace?
    Yes, for the moment the size range of the paediatric brace has been expanded for adult use. In the near future a specific adult SpineCor postural rehabilitation brace (P.R.B.) will be launched.

And, from Joe O'Brien's post in the "Setting the Record Straight" thread:

8. The SpineCor brace was designed and developed for adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. The indications and contra-indications are clearly defined on the SpineCorporation website, and the FAQ’s http://www.spinecorporation.com/Engl...mation/faq.htm contain very straightforward answers to many of the questions about the brace including pricing, vestibular testing, chiropractic treatment, and use by adults.

9. The use of this brace for adults is experimental at this stage, until such time as appropriate studies are published to evidence the benefits and harms. But that is no reason to be upset about studying the use of this brace for that purpose. And it is certainly no justification for anyone to prevent, or gang up on, someone who is part of the study to share their experience with the community. If we adopted that same attitude towards surgery we would be still be having patients spend a year in bed in plaster body casts.
    Last edited by LindaRacine; 04-23-2009, 03:48 PM.
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

I for one would like to hear more from Mamamax. I found her highly entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by CHRIS WBS View Post
      I for one would like to hear more from Mamamax. I found her highly entertaining.
      Thank you dear Chris

And thank you dear friends ...

Time today spent posting in the Spinecor Success thread .. the muse wishes to share this night, in this thread - a joy-filled simple little poem (inspired to share as a result of my personal Spinecor treatment/experience) by an anonymous author - for all.

If only i could catch a rainbow
      I would do it just for you
      And share with you its beauty
      On the days you're feeling blue

If only i could build a mountain
      You could call your own
      A place to find serenity
      A place to be at home

If only i could take your troubles
      I would toss them in the sea
      But all these things, I'm finding
      Are impossible for me

I cannot build a mountain
      Or catch a rainbow fair
      But let me be what I know best
      Friend .. who is always there
      Last edited by mamamax; 04-23-2009, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Thanks Linda
        Sure cant take you with me to the doctor? Maybe a quick link in my Kindle? Kidding. Anyway thanks exactly what I was wondering. Ill talk to back doctor on moday when he works on my facets.

!!Oh, so this kinda cool. I got perscribed a TeNS unit.. (Its as small as the cell phones and beepers) Yea, I went hiking last month! very cool. Course we had to stop frequently for rests, but the view was georgous. And Mr. T , in my opinion, is the coolest little device ever

Anyway, thanks for giving a straight answer. Sure do appreciate you taking care of things so well.
        *huggs*
        dani

Comment

Spinecor patient personal experience

Setting the Record Straight
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8765
          Thank you Joe

Individuals who are interested in this treatment may post their own experience, or the results of others, from published studies in peer-reviewed journals. Posts that don't fall within this guideline will be removed. [Post #1 This Thread]
          Thank you Linda

Working Web Link For Manufacturer
          (link in Post #1 is not functioning)
          http://www.spinecorporation.com/English/index.htm
          Select language by clicking country flag
          Current FAQs found under Patient Information Tab
          Web page updates are slow

Amazing Brace - Week Two*
          59 year old Patient Female
          Research Study Participant

4/21/09

Taking stock of my Spinecor treatment so far (day 14), some thoughts that first come to mind, are the comments from others. Upon first seeing me in brace, my sister - with big blue eyes amazed .. said: "you look so relaxed, your neck was always so tense - like you were struggling to maintain your posture" (sisters notice these things). I too noticed right away an immediate release of neck tension in brace and the change in physical apearance as a result. Co-workers tell me i stand straighter, some have noticed i'm a little taller (that's a whole strange thing, bouncing all over the place like Alice in Wonderland as far as height, daily). Interesting, the things others notice, confirming my own observations. One woman at work has said the treatment is changing my attitude. Well, i suppose if one experiences less pain than normal - one may certainly seem happier.

Truth is - it's not so much how we look in life as it is how we feel. In-brace, i feel ... relieved. Wearing schedule today, is up to 7 1/2 hours. I must take it off at work - which i don't like to do, because my body reverts to its old ways (but it does take a few minutes longer each day for it to do so, i observe). I look forward to when i will be able to wear it all day - for it makes the day much better.

This brace is designed to retrain atrophied muscles that cannot hold the spine erect - so there is no need to worry about muscle atrophy as with other braces i've heard about. I believe it's true (as my provider tells me and manufacturer web site supports), as i can feel it in-brace .. and have witnessed progressive strengthening out of brace albeit quite slow at this stage and certainly not long lasting (baby steps). I'm free to exercise if i want to - outside of some right lateral breathing exercises (designed to increase chest expansion on the locked up left rib side .. that is working too) - but i don't, though i probably should. Later, when i'm wearing full time.

Surgery not being an option for me - i continue to be pleased with this choice. I wish it had been available for me as an adolescent - and marvel at the stories in the adolescent forum. Reducing pain meds - not needing them as much. Filled with gratitude that cannot be denied. On a humorous note - know all this makes it seem like i drank the mind altering Kool-aid .. but, really, week two, in final analysis - it is what it is

Disclaimer: This is only one Adult Spinecor experience - not all experiences are the same among patients, many however .. report similar experience.

*Title: As a published author, and editor, I have a propensity of titling even my personal written sharings. This title is borrowed from a friend in pen whose son as a young adult completed Spinecor treatment. His mother a Canadian writer who has a published work under same title: Amazing Brace (title here used by me in admiration of her work both as concerned parent and professional reporter). http://www.macleans.ca/science/healt...23_55198_55198 (Published January 23, 2008 – Canada) and also posted on the brace manufacturer's web page under: News

A shared story from NSF member and fellow Patient:
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7733

Next Update: 4-9 weeks from now
          Last edited by mamamax; 05-03-2009, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Just some informational sharing - for those who are searching:

About Spinecor
            Featuring:
            Surgical doctors/inventors Rivard & Cioillard
            Dr. Joseph O'Brien/President & CEO National Scoliosis Foundation
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TBtDSHp_Ko

Inventors:
            Dr. Charles H. Rivard MD
            Dr. Christine Cioillard MD
            Research Center, Sainte Justine Hospital
            Email addresses on Manufacturer's Website:
            chrivard@gmail.com
            chcoillard@gmail.com

PDF Research Paper authored by Inventors
            http://www.srs.org/professionals/bra.../section13.pdf

Manufacturer (Indications & Contra-Indications)
            See Patient Information Tab
            Maclean's (Amazing Brace) article appears
            on the Spinecor Manufacturer web site.
            Also in the news, an NBC News Broadcast
            http://www.spinecorporation.com/English/index.htm

Spinecore patient/real people sharings - both young and old
            (sort by date added for most recent)
            http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...=spinecor&aq=f

My doc's headquarters - lots of good info
            (has treated 1,000+ adult patients)
            Practice certified by Manufacturer
            SOSORT Founding Members
            http://www.scoliosissystems.com/?gcl...FRBhnAodTR-zQA
            Information on Adult Bracing:
            http://www.scoliosissystems.com/adult.html

Note: Updating this page periodically as factual information is gathered
            Last edited by mamamax; 04-27-2009, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Interested in Spinecor

Hello, I've been following your posts & subsequent bashing you've received lately! I'm glad you decided to persevere & continue posting. I'm v.interested in the brace for pain relief not curve correction. I'm wondering if you can give me a ballpark figure as far as cost? If not, where can I find that info?

Comment

Hi Michelle - Thank you. I'm sure fees vary from one practice to another - in my experience, ballpark this year is probably around $5,000 (for brace, brace fitting, x-rays, etc). At first i thought that expensive, and then later (after fitting) - decided it was worth the cost! Thank you kindly for your support - it takes courage for all of us to share this learning experience. Hope to hear more from you.
                Last edited by mamamax; 04-23-2009, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Early Treatment Notes

A simple sharing - for someone who may be taking first steps.

Firstly - in sharing, i cannot predict the outcome of others, i can only tell my personal (adult) story.

I have two curves which are quite large (in the standard needs-surgery category) and my patient file in my doctors office states: severe rotational scoliosis.

After making sure i had no extenuating circumstances that would prohibit treatment (my personal opinion is, that this is most appropriate for all) .. i decided to do what we all do when making our respective treatment choices - which was to take a leap of faith (as none of us can predict our future in any treatment choice).

I also made sure my brace provider was Spinecor certified and would urge anyone interested in treatment to do the same.

On fitting day i was in pain (5/6 out of 10). The moment the brace was fitted, i was out of pain completely. Day one - pain level returned to pre-fitting level upon brace removal. Approaching week three, as wearing time increases - out of brace pain decreases progressively and i am now cutting back on pain medication.

While in early stages of treatment, i am not worried about muscle atrophy as i personally feel i am experiencing the opposite which would be indicative of brace design. Questions about that are best discussed with one's Spinecor certified provider.

Hope this helps anyone taking first steps
                  Last edited by mamamax; 04-26-2009, 01:43 PM. Reason: Edited for typo

Comment

New Adult Specific Spinecor Brace

In the continuing history of the Spinecor brace (and my personal story) - the new adult specific Spinecor Brace has been formally launched for distribution - well referenced information found here:
                    http://www.scoliosissystems.com/adult.html

The Spinecor manufacturer web site has a lot of good information regarding the brace, but as of this date has not yet updated their website (that i can see) to reflect the announcement, presume we will see it soon (some web sites only update monthly). Noticed today when clicking the flag representing one's country (on the manufacturer's home page) - that a list of certified distributors is presented. Using the Canada location, email addresses for surgical Drs/Inventors Rivard and Coillard appear and i have updated posting #6 to reflect this information.
                    Manufacturer web site: http://www.spinecorporation.com/English/index.htm

My sharing based on personal experience/thoughts of web site (manufacturer) and certified provider offered information (through web site and person-to-person Dr/patient discussion):

Both braces (the one originally designed for adolescents, and the newer one designed specifically for adults) are designed to do essentially the same thing and both are marketed as a postural rehabilitation brace (PRB).

Both braces are designed in two pieces - the difference being in the bottom half of the adult brace. My current brace, originally designed for adolescents has a flexible pelvic base which i if find most comfortable - the adult specific bottom half is designed like shorts and made from a spandex-like material.

My brace purchase is new (within 9 days of formal adult brace launching) and i've been offered the upgrade of the bottom half if i would like (though treatment success, for my individual condition, is not seen as being effected either way, making my final decision comfort based). Will be seeing my provider (DrL) on Friday, May 1, to check it out.

Update on that (regarding the new bottom half - specific to myself) to follow.
                    Last edited by mamamax; 04-26-2009, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Spinecor Adult Brace

The new adult specific Spinecor brace does appear to look as something that hides better under clothing. Gone from this design is the pelvic belt base and thigh bands, replaced with rather tight fitting shorts - bolero and four elastic straps remain. I personally found the fit a bit too tight for my tastes and have elected to keep the pelvic base designed for adolescents.

As my treatment success is not seen as being effected either way - this became a personal comfort based decision and in my personal estimation only, the original design (for adolescents and used by adults for the past five years) may be better suited for active wear.

Posting based upon: Personal Experience
                      Last edited by mamamax; 05-03-2009, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Spinecor and Weight Loss

Within my first three weeks of wearing my Spinecor brace, i lost 5 lbs! No, i'm not touting it as a weight loss device Actually, my pain levels have decreased so dramatically that i've simply become more active without any dietary changes - the perfect formula for weight loss (according to my primary care physician).

This caused the brace to feel loose - in fact causing me to feel that straps 2&4 had lost their elasticity. Something made me check the scale - and sure enough, i had lost weight. I was truly tempted to self treat (so to speak) and tighten strap #4 as brief experimentation seemed to return the brace more to the feeling of its original fitting. Maybe others will experience something similar - please, if you do - do not self treat. Only a Spinecor certified provider should ever adjust the brace, otherwise treatment can be compromised, effecting the outcome. This brace is actually rather rocket science and best left in well skilled and experienced (Spinecor certified) hands.

I called my doctor to let him know about the weight loss and loose fit, and he scheduled me for a free evaluation very quickly. Here's what really had to be done to reset the brace to the new me: The strap that i thought should be shortened - was actually lengthened and two others shortened. Immediately the adjustment left me feeling like i did at the original fitting. So you see - what i felt should be done was quite wrong.

Posting this for others who may think they know how to handle such a situation - when in fact, under such circumstances one should always consult with their certified provider, no matter how "logical" one's observations may seem This good advice for either adult or adolescent.

Posting Based Upon: Personal experience and Dr/patient consultation
                        Last edited by mamamax; 05-03-2009, 10:42 AM.

Comment

thankyou Mamamax for sharing your experiences with me, i am very interested in Spinecor and reading your posts were great.
                          cheers
                          Rhonda (kaizan)
                          diagnosed aged 12, boston brace 12 months
                          curve 69 degree T12 to L4.
                          Posterior fusion T4 to L3? with Post/Ant rods. 22 May 09:

Comment

Thank you Rhonda for your kind words. Lots of good info here (across all categories), grateful we can all share with each other according to our needs. Gosh, not that many years ago sharing the things we all do here, was pretty much impossible without the Internet & World Wide Web .. glad we have NSF. Thanks again & all the very best to you and yours, and double very best on the 22nd - will keep you in my thoughts and prayers (say one for me too?). Hope you keep us posted - looks like you are in excellent hands there in Melbourne).

Comment

Research & Possibilities

As i continue my treatment and research along the way - a name comes up over and over again: Martha Hawes. A Google search of her name will bring up many of the things i have found, but what interests me most is her personal story. Diagnosed at age 7 with moderately severe thoracic scoliosis, she went untreated till age 40 (her curve then stable/structural). She began intense treatment which included massage therapy, manual traction, ischemic pressure, and comprehensive manipulative medicine (CMM). Impressive to me, the dedication required in this.

Her results (reference in publication #15 below): 40% reduction in magnitude of Cobb angle, which had been stable for 30 years (changes occurred gradually over an eight-year period, with the most rapid improvement occurring during two periods when CMM was employed).

She is my hero and i look to her whenever i feel there is no hope.

Both Martha and Joe O'Brien have written many informative papers - papers i find myself reading late into the night. Along with these, i read everything i can find regarding Spinecor bracing and SEAS exercises (there is precious little for adults at this time).

I did not begin my treatment looking for Cobb angle improvement - but rather began my treatment looking for pain reduction. I'm happy to report that has happened (along with postural improvement) - so, in this regard it is enough that i have found such. My protocol is two years in length - and i cannot help but research and ponder possibilities along the way. Find myself thinking if just one person on this planet has accomplished what Martha has, then certainly there are possibilities for others and if there exists possibilities for others - there is certainly possibility for myself. In theory.

My treatment is in the early stages - and i have a long way to go, and i cannot possibly know at this point what my final results may be (though treatment at this point appears promising). I believe i am in good hands as i continue this journey and share my personal story (which sometimes seems to me much like Dorthy's along the yellow brick road).

Next Posting: July regarding treatment statistics (first official follow up exam).

References:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez
                              In Search field enter: Martha Hawes

Publication #15:
                              Reversal of the signs & symptoms of moderately severe idiopathic scoliosis in response to physical methods
                              Hawes MC, Brooks WJ.
                              Stud Health Technol Inform. 2002;91:365-8.
                              PMID: 15457757

Publication #9
                              The Transformation of Spinal Curvature into Spinal Deformity
                              Hawes MC, O'brien JP.
                              Scoliosis. 2006 Mar 31;1(1):3.
                              PMID: 16759413

Publication #17
                              The Use of Exercises in the treatment of scoliosis: An evidence based critical review of the literature
                              Hawes MC.
                              Pediatr Rehabil. 2003 Jul-Dec;6(3-4):171-82. Review.
                              PMID: 14713583

Publication #1
                              A Century of Spine Surgery: What Can Patients Expect
                              Hawes MC, O'Brien JP.
                              Disabil Rehabil. 2008;30(10):808-17. Review.
                              PMID: 18432439

Adult scoliosis can be reduced through specific SEAS exercises: a case report. Scoliosis. 2008 Dec 16;3:20.
                              Negrini A, Parzini S, Negrini MG, Romano M, Atanasio S, Zaina F, Negrini S.
                              ISICO (Italian Scientific Spine Institute), Via Roberto Bellarmino 13/1, 20121 Milan, Italy.

A Retrospective Study of twenty three adults treated for scoliosis using the Spinecor Orthosis.
                              Deutchman, G.; Lamantia M.,; Indelacato J.; Raykhman M.:
                              From 4th International Conference on Conservative Management of Spinal Deformities Boston, MA, USA. 13–16 May 2007.
                              Scoliosis 2007, 2(Suppl 1):S23doi:10.1186/1748-7161-2-S1-S23

Review of the Literature: Non - operative Scoliosis Treatment
                              Marc J. Lamantia, D.C., and Gary A. Deutchman, D.C.
                              TAC, Cover Stories , Volume 31, Issue 4
                              Published: The American Chiropractor (2009)
                              http://theamericanchiropractor.com/a...115&category=8

Last edited by mamamax; 05-25-2009, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X