Anesthesia and URTI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anesthesia and URTI

I thought I would pass along this information to other parents who might be asked that their child be anesthetized for various reasons i.e., MRI etc.,

The last time my daughter was given general anesthesia they encountered something called a laryngospasm. Her larynx went into spasms and they had trouble intubating... pretty serious if they can't get oxygen to the lungs !!! This was probably caused by an upper respiratory tract infection (i.e., cold ) which she had the previous week. Apparently, a young child who has any kind of upper respiratory tract infection should NOT be put under general anesthesia for at least 6 weeks after the cold/ cough is gone - I confirmed this with the Anesthesia department at our hospital.

Celia
    Last edited by Celia; 08-27-2004, 04:48 AM.

Canadian eh
    Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

be sure before putting baby under

thanks for the info. My daughter has "central core disease", very rare, but... one of the complications is if put under anesthesia she may go into "MALIGNANT HYPERTHERMIA". Just something for any parent to consider before taking the risk of putting their child under.

Comment

Working...
    X