Help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!!

Hi all! I don't know if some of you might remember me or not but my son Max was diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 3 months and he is currently 18 months old. We were holding steady at 18 degrees for the last year and we found out today that his curve has jumped to 30 degrees and RVAD is worse as well. We go to Dr. Sturm at Chicago Shriners and LOVE him! Max will be recieving his first cast on Tuesday and I am so nervous. I could use any advice on how to make him comfortable. With such a long car ride from Indy to Chicago should we purchase a special car seat? HELP

Thanks so much! Even though it stinks that we are back to this I am glad that this is available to me and my family!

Cara

Hi there,

I don't have any advice for you - my son was older when we had to treat his scoliosis. But I wanted to wish you the best of luck with everything you're going through. I know the Shriner's system does great work for kids and it sounds like you found the kind of treatment that, I've read, can actually help straighten the spine with the aid of the child's growth.

Take care,
    Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
    Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
    Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Hi Cara,

I have heard excellent things about Dr. Sturm. I actually know a couple of parents from the VBS site who see him (not for casting though).

However, there is another site (perhaps you have already joined) that is full of parents just like you (with very young children, many of whom are in casts- I'm sure several even see Dr. Sturm).

It is www.infantilescoliosis.org

Just in case you weren't aware

Best of luck to you - your son is in very good hands!
      mariaf305@yahoo.com
      Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
      Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Working...
      X