Shoulders!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoulders!

My back curves more up top in the thoracic region, and because of this my right shoulder is pushed out (forward), if that makes any sense at all. But anyways this makes several kinds of shirts very hard to wear, they never sit on that shoulder the right way, they always slip forward. It's very frustrating! Any ideas about how to tailor the shirts out there!?!

Sorry, don't have any practical advice, but I can sympathise! Before I knew I had scoliosis, I actually threw one very nice top out because it didn't sit properly - it always gaped on the right side. It was only when I noticed all my other tighter fitting tops were the same that I realised it was me that was faulty, not my clothes!!

Comment

how to dress???

Since developing scoliosis my right shoulder has dropped significantly, i feel like the hunchback of notre dame!! i have begun to wear a strapless bra, the straps were always slipping off my shoulders. i have noticed wearing tops that are fitted on the top portion, like a princess cut fit a little better than most. it is a real drag!!! i hope that helps you out a little. if you find any other tips i would be eager to hear any and all. take care, patty

Comment

Shoulders

I also have uneven shoulders. What has helped my clothes to hang better is to use one shoulder pad. I put this on my lower shoulder. Just experiment with pad & find the thickness you need. It even makes the back of my clothes hang straighter. So even the side view doesn't show my moderate size rib hump.
        I appreciate the suggestion of a raser type bra so the shoulder strap will stay in place. It was always showing.
        All "tricks of the trade!"

Comment

Thanks so much for all the great advice! It feels so good to know that I'm not the only one out there!!!

Comment

o ur definatly not the only one lol. Before my surgery my rib hump also made me feel like the hunchback of notre dame, however in my house we ruled out the use of the words hunch back lol But luckily after my surgery it only sticks out a bit. I find I do have the strap problem too. and it is a major drag for me to, im forever pulling my straps back up. I also found that when i have like a purse or bag on my one shoulder it keeps falling down and i hate it! does anyone else share this problem?
            I'm 19 years old, had surgery 5 years ago
            3 curves Middle curve - 65 fused to 13 Bottom curve 35- fixed on it's own to 16!
            Fused from C7 to L1

Comment

Originally posted by babygrand07 View Post
              My back curves more up top in the thoracic region, and because of this my right shoulder is pushed out (forward), if that makes any sense at all. But anyways this makes several kinds of shirts very hard to wear, they never sit on that shoulder the right way, they always slip forward. It's very frustrating! Any ideas about how to tailor the shirts out there!?!

Hi!
              My shoulder does exactly the same thing and even though it isn't very noticeable when I have clothes on (I'm probably the one who notice it the most), it bothers my a lot - mostly the feeling of the shoulder pushed forward.

Like "ptalana" my straps keep falling down, so it's actually a great advice with strapless bras (or bras with crossed straps or halterneck). I don't really have a perfect advice, but sweatshirts and shirts with collars makes the shoulder less remarkable. I'm wearing a brace, so my clothes is loose and I think that makes it less remarkable, too.

Just ask if there's anything else!
              Last edited by Dina; 04-28-2009, 06:40 AM.
              - Dina

14-year-old girl from Denmark
              Scoliosis with 3 curves (have known since i was about 9)
              Have worn a Boston brace since 2008

"Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game"
              - a great quote to show that we can't let our backs and braces hold us from doing what we want! :'D

Comment

Originally posted by Jennybear View Post
                o ur definatly not the only one lol. Before my surgery my rib hump also made me feel like the hunchback of notre dame, however in my house we ruled out the use of the words hunch back lol But luckily after my surgery it only sticks out a bit. I find I do have the strap problem too. and it is a major drag for me to, im forever pulling my straps back up. I also found that when i have like a purse or bag on my one shoulder it keeps falling down and i hate it! does anyone else share this problem?
                I know what you mean - I'm just automaticly pull my straps up again and it has become like a habit for me xD
                - Dina

14-year-old girl from Denmark
                Scoliosis with 3 curves (have known since i was about 9)
                Have worn a Boston brace since 2008

"Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game"
                - a great quote to show that we can't let our backs and braces hold us from doing what we want! :'D

Comment

I discovered that I can't wear certain cuts of tops... I can't wear V-necks or large scoop necks. Some fitted cotton button down shirts are just uncomfortable and not worth the pulling.

As a side note: I was the drum major for our marching band and my mom sewed in an extra shoulder pad in my uniform on the left side so that I looked even from behind.

I did have a dress fully altered to fit my back, but I don't think it was the best choice... it only accentuated my crookedness.
                  Living life after a Milwaukee...
                  And still crooked as a jail bird...

Comment

Oh wow I didn't even think of that! I always thought that having clothes altered would help them fit better, but that totally makes sense that it may accentuate my curves! Thank u so much!!!!

Comment

Go to a tailor or seamstress they will fix it up for you. My Mom fixes clothes and is really good at it. It takes practice so if your good with sewing or have exeripece you may even be able to fix it on your own.

I also have this issue my shoulders are quite a bit off. I get adjustable strap swim suits so I can make the other side shorter or else it slips off and is really annoying.

Comment

Working...
                      X