Thread: nyc surgeons

nyc surgeons

after reading many of the postings, it is amazing to see how many successful anterior/posterior scoliosis operations dr. boachie has performed. it is equally upsetting however to know that my mother cannot get an evaluation/procedure performed by him due to lack of her insurance coverage. to think that if her back had only worsened 1 yr prior (with her old insurance), the search for a surgeon would not be so difficult.

dr. errico from nyu hjd has evaluated her and interested in performing the operation, but i would like other opinions from docs in the new york area. also, if anyone has any recommendations or experience with errico, we would love to hear.

thanks

I feel badly about the situation with Dr. B.

Have you looked into Dr. Neuwirth at Beth Israel? I believe several people here had good results with him.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

I heard of great results with Dr. Byron Lonner.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Dr. Errico

About 10 or 12 years ago a women from my town had revision surgery by Dr. Errico (her original surgery was by Dr. Keim) and she did great. It was quite a lengthly surgery and recovery but was extremely successful. Unfortunately she doesn't live in the area anymore so I do not have any contact information. She was very pleased with the outcome. Good luck.
    1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
    2000 Partial Rod Removal
    2001 Right Scapular Resection
    12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
    06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Quote Originally Posted by Singer View Post
    I feel badly about the situation with Dr. B.

Have you looked into Dr. Neuwirth at Beth Israel? I believe several people here had good results with him.
    Apple Pie,

Dr. Neuwirth performed my surgery and I am very happy with the results. I've also been very happy with the help I've received from his office staff when needed. They are very accomodating.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees