sleeping in a hospital bed post op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sleeping in a hospital bed post op

I dont know if I ever mentioned this in any of my posting before, but since Ive been back from the hospital, Ive been sleeping in a hospital style bed. Its in the living room & Im really ready to let it go as its the last thing around(other then some pill bottles) that remind me of the surgery...the icky parts of it anyway. Ive been favoring my right side as far as log rolling on & off the bed & now regret it as I cant quite figure out how to log roll to the left...as odd as that sounds...it just feels un-natural. Either way, Ive been feeling so good, had not had a hydrocodone in 2 days, weaning my self off of the muscle relaxers as well & been pretty muh my old self these last few days. So, I decided last night to sleep in my real bed, with my hubby. I always sleep w/the head part upward and also use a slight incline by my feet(hos. bed) so I was a bit worried about the straightness of my real bed. I started w/2 pillows, that didnt work. Then put one under my feet...that didnt do much. Needless to say, I didnt get much sleep...none actually. At 3am, I decided to try sleeping on my side, which used to be my very favorite postion pre op & something I dont find comfortable post op. But I just had to try something to get comfie. I fell asleep for about 40 mins and woke up w/a horrible pain on my left side(the side that NEVER hurts!) in my rib cage area. Kinda felt like someone stabbed me w/an ice pick! I paniced and then tried rolling back onto my back & got stuck!! I seriously couldnt get back on my back. So now my husband is up cuz Im crying & helps me up. I was SO angry! I ended up back on the darn hospital bed where I fell asleep w/in minutes. Im a little frustrated as I really want to get that thing out of my house! Is anyone else sleeping in this type of bed? If so, when did you wean yourself from it? Did you have issues moving to your regular bed?
    Lynn -30.... something
    DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
    At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
    At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
    Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
    UW Madison, WI Hospital
    **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

I slept in a hospital bed in rehab, but by the time I got home (about 3 weeks after surgery), I slept in my regular bed. Not WELL, mind you, but I was on a lot of oxycontin, so that knocked me out. I still can't sleep on my right side (anterior incision side), but I slept on my back pretty comfortably in a regular bed. I had pillows under my knees and pillows under my arms -- for some reason it felt good to have my arms elevated a little at the elbow.

Also, when I slept on my side, I needed to be sandwiched between pillows. I noticed that my shoulder hurt when I first started sleeping on my side, but that gradually went away in a couple of months.

One last thing: I couldn't stand having my husband in the bed with me for a long time...every time he moved or ...God forbid,...snored, I woke up and wanted to kill him. I slept a lot better alone. Thank goodness we fixed up the guest room before my surgery.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Chris-thanks for the reply. I hear ya on the hubby moving around and the snoring. I think part of it is the fact that is he heavier than me and the mattress goes in torward him. And the snoring...ughh....as soon as his head hits the pillow-POOF...blissful sleep comes his way along w/the loud roaring of a chain saw!! lol I would kill to be able to fall asleep that quickly! Maybe I will try the pillow ideas tonight.
      Lynn -30.... something
      UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Lynn

It takes a while to get the sleeping thing down. Its a science actually, where everything has to be just right to get minimal sleep which is so valuable.

I'm surprised you are sleeping on a hospital bed. I found them so uncomfortable! There have been posts here on using foam toppers. I found it absolutely necessary and still do to this day. 2-3 inches thick latex foam, the pricy stuff, helps considerably! Loads of soft goose down pillows help.

Sleeping with somebody after these surgeries is complicated. You need that sleep, and any disturbance ruins it.

We sure do know what the meaning of the word "uncomfortable" is. Actually, the bed companies should use us to do the testing, and supply the beds for free!

Sleeping does get better as you heal. You are getting past the toughest part, pretty soon here you will improve and your sleep time will increase, and when you get to the point where you can sleep 7-8 hours, you will want to sleep all the time!

I have a medium tempurpedic with 2 inches of latex foam on top and that works well. The bed needs to be FLAT! with no sagging. Not a hammock LOL
        Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Lynn,

I came home straight to my regular bed, with my husband on the floor on an air mattress for about a month. (Side note--I'm ready to throw him out of bed again for snoring, but that's another story. )

I'm just about 5 months post op. Prior to surgey, I loved sleeping on my side; but after surgery it just wasn't comfy. I'd try it for a short while and it just didn't FEEL RIGHT. However, for the last month or maybe a little longer, side sleeping is now as comfy as it used to be!!! I think it's just that I needed to heal longer for it to feel right.

If you still need the hospital bed, use it! It's better than having a grumpy (due to lack of sleep) and in pain you!!

((Hugs))

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Wow Debbe,

Husbund on the floor! Thats Great! LMAO

Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
              Wow Debbe,

Husbund on the floor! Thats Great! LMAO

Ed
              I'm happy to amuse you Ed! Feeling any better today? I hope so.

Comment

Thanks everyone! lol And for the laughs too! I think Im going to shop for the mattress topper soon!Maybe pick up some more pillows. Im going to try my bed again tonite, and see what happens.

Ed- the hospital bed is actually pretty comfortable...well, maybe I just think its comfortable as my new body doesnt know the difference! Not only does it remind me of the surgery but it sure is an eye sore in my living room!! UGH!
                Last edited by LynnMarie74; 03-09-2009, 05:54 PM.
                Lynn -30.... something
                UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Lynn,

I forgot to add that I use a mattress topper too. Mine is a Sealy 3" and I got it at Overstock for a pretty good price. I LOVE it.

Another thing--I used extra pillows under my knees and/or behind my back (if laying on my side) for a few months. The few months I have given up extra pillows. I just don't feel like I need them now.

Comment

Hi Lynn,
                    I am home a week and have a hospital bed in my living room. I sleep like a log in it, which surprises the hell out of me because I can feel every spring that's in the thing and it's really difficult to move around on it. Last night, like you, I decided to sleep upstairs in my real bed, which is a tempurapedic that we bought before my 3 level fusion 4 years ago. My husband could get up and do a jig and I don't feel anything that he does. The hardest part of the real bed is the lack of rails which make getting in and out much easier but I did manage. I want to get rid of it but husband suggested we keep it a while longer so i probably will. The cats adjust to whatever bed I chose to sleep in and show up wherever I am. I imagine the drugs I am on help me sleep wherever I am.
                    avis
                    1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
                    2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
                    2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
                    Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Originally posted by theizzard View Post
                      Hi Lynn,
                      I am home a week and have a hospital bed in my living room. I sleep like a log in it, which surprises the hell out of me because I can feel every spring that's in the thing and it's really difficult to move around on it. Last night, like you, I decided to sleep upstairs in my real bed, which is a tempurapedic that we bought before my 3 level fusion 4 years ago. My husband could get up and do a jig and I don't feel anything that he does. The hardest part of the real bed is the lack of rails which make getting in and out much easier but I did manage. I want to get rid of it but husband suggested we keep it a while longer so i probably will. The cats adjust to whatever bed I chose to sleep in and show up wherever I am. I imagine the drugs I am on help me sleep wherever I am.
                      avis
                      Hey Avis! Its so very nice to hear from you! You must be feeling a little better if your online....or like you said before--the drugs!

I have a cat and a dog. Ashley(cat) has been around awhile and moved into our basement when we got our dog Morgan in April of last year. They dont get along! Either way, our bedroom is downstairs(12 steps) and that is one of the reasons I chose the hospital bed upstairs. When we had my cousin watch Morgan for us for those 5 weeks, Ashley decided to come back up stairs & would always make her way on to me while I was asleep. Now that we have the dog back, she is no where to be seen!

I guess it was my fault for not just using the normal bed right out of the gate, but the thought of walking down those stairs right away scared me a little. The bed you and your husband have sounds nice. I really do think its more difficult to for me to get comfortable w/him there with me. If I had a few xtra bucks (a few thousands Id assume) Id get me one of those magic beds like yours! Til then, I will keep trying other things...eventually somethings gotta give!
                      Lynn -30.... something
                      UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Lynn, I must be in a real haze to have forgotten to mention the real reason for the hospital bed, which is that our bedroom is on the 3rd floor, which means 2 full sets of steps to get to the bed. Right now I am in the living room trying to decide if I have it in me to do the steps to get upstairs to the bedroom or if I will go to sleep on the springy hospital bed. it seems to be just a spring filled boxspring without any real mattress. the springs on the mattress align themselves with the rods and the other hardware in my spine. always a good feeling.
                        avis
                        1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
                        2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
                        2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
                        Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

LOL Its funny that you say that...about the crappy matress w/the springs and what not. About week 2....when the pain was in full force...I said to my husband "either Im nuts or something is poking into my back, right in the middle where the hardware is" I also said it felt like I was sleeping on a rod that was inside the matress! Well, it ended up being both...I was noticing the present from Dr Tribus, the gift that keeps on giving(aka-rods and screws) and I had just enough feeling in my back to also notice that I was positioned perfectly w/the matress springs & other thingys that are in there! So the rod I was sleeping on was the rod in my back and the lovely hardware in the matress......and despite this, to this day, I insist I sleep there!
                          Lynn -30.... something
                          UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

I am laughing as I read everyone's accounts (husbands on the floor, hardware meeting springs, etc) but you guys are also scaring the bajeebies out of me. I forgot that sleeping wasn't fun from my first surgery. To this day I can only side sleep (cannot back or tummy sleep). So what will happen once my side is cut open too? I may need to just learn to sleep standing up. Maybe I should invent the standing only bed that fits in the corner of a room - out of kids and animals ways hmmmm...could be a money maker.

Sorry - I just need to laugh as I'm a total bundle of nerves these days! Lynn, I sure hope you figure out the sleeping thing - it's still pretty new. By the way - did you ever figure out your tummy issues? This post surgery stuff stinks doesn't it....but only SHORT TERM - I hope!

Keep smilin and don't give up!
                            Always Smilin'

Always Smilin'
                            Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
                            pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
                            pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
                            right thoracic 57
                            lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
                            revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
                            unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

Poor husbands, not only do they have to put up with all we go through now they are being thrown out of bed and sleeping on air matresses lol. God bless them. I am planning on coming home from the hospital and getting in my own bed.....probably not going to feel that great but hopefully will be as comfy as one can be when a rod has been jammed up your spine! I do think I will follow Ed's advise and try a memory foam topper. Can't wait until next year and this is all over with and I've been cleared to do what I want...to bad there wasn't a fast forward button!
                              Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                              50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                              Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                              X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                              Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                              Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                              Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X