13 yr old, w/43 lower, 38 upper "s" curve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13 yr old, w/43 lower, 38 upper "s" curve

Hello. I am new to this site. My 13 year old daughter was recently diagnosed with Scoliosis. She was just given a brace this week and is in the process of breaking it in. (1 hour the first day, 2 hours yesterday, 3 hours today, etc.) She has a lot of pain in the hip and rib area from the brace. We are assuming this will get better as she gets more used to it. We are not familiar with the progression.....just that we did not catch it as early as we wish we had. What can we expect for results with the brace? We were told that she will need it for 2 years (when she should be fully grown). They also told us that the brace will not correct the curvature, but if all goes well, it should prevent an increase in her curvature. If this happens, what can she expect long term? Will the curvature remain at 43 and 38 after she is done wearing the brace (as she gets older)? Is a 43/38 curve something that people live with without pain/issues? So far, she has no pain (except the brace), and is able to do everything. Also, she is very balanced, which is why we are being told it was missed during physicals and by us.

Hi, and welcome to the site.

I can tell you the pain from the brace will get easier, she should try lying down in it for a few minutes (or longer) when she puts it on. I found that helped for me. Also a soft shirt under the brace, with flat seams (seams hurt),that is close fitting (no wrinkles) will also help.

As for long term; if the curve stabilizes, and there is no pain, then surgery will be left as an option for later. Usual surgery it is for reasons such as pain, restricted movement, cosmetic, to get out of the brace (if bracing is long term), and medical reasons such as lung and heart problems which usually happen in the 70 (lungs) and 90 (heart) degree marks.

However..... you need to get xrays, and compare them. Do the math and find out (1) what rate her scoliosis is progressing (curve now - curve then, devide by month) it usually is a consistent number. (2) see if the brace is slowing the curve progression number at all. Don't assume that the curve progression has stopped until you see that in an xray.

My first orthopedic surgeon told me (at age 13) that my scoliosis must have been missed because I looked so balanced with perfect posture. He was very very wrong. My scoliosis was the very rare kind that progressed very rapidly. I went from no curves to 90 degree curves in under 10 months. Luckily my second opinion took one look at my xrays, sent me for another set immediately to compare, and booked an operating date as soon as he could.

Comment

Welcome!

Yes, get as much information as you can. My daughter is also 13, but uses the Spinecore Brace so I can't comment on comfort of your type of brace. Lots of discussion can be found on this site about Spinecore, but it is still a "choice" that the parents are ulitimately responsible for. For the length of time in the brace, it should depend on her growth and if she is done growing, typically they measure the Risser sign in the growth plate of the pelvis.

As a parent, it is a constant worry...we have been in this boat for about 1 1/2 years now...I think about it every day.

Keep reading!
      Haley's Mom
      Diagnosed June 2007, Age 11 - NO BASELINE (TOLD TO WAIT)
      Jan 2008 Age 12 - T24 (TOLD TO WAIT UGHH!)
      Apr 2008 Age 12.5 - T30 Riser 4
      Apr 2008 SpineCor in brace T19
      May 2008 in brace T24
      Oct 2008 Age 13 - T23! Still Riser 4
      Jan 2009 T23.

Comment

Working...
      X