I'm Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Back

I had my surgery on February 5th and spent 6 days in the hospital. All I can say is wow. This was a tough surgery. I was in surgery for about 6 hours and woke up in the ICU on a ventilator - again (my surgeon didn't anticipate this as I was posterior only). My husband and my mom were with me and I was in excruciating pain and very coherent. I motioned for the nurse to give a pen and paper so that I could write. I wanted to know why I was on a vent, what happened, and why was I in such pain. Apparently, I loss a lot of blood. During surgery I was given 9 units of blood. My blood pressure was extremely low and they were not able to safely sedate me or control my pain. As my blood pressure came up, they were able to give me medicine to make me comfortable but it seemed to take forever. At one point I apparently looked at the chaplain and mouthed the words "help me" through tears. It was a rough start. In all, I was given 12 units of blood. Over the next few days, my vitals improved and I was able to start PT. It amazes me how much we improve from one say to the next. By the 5th day, I was able to give myself a sponge bath and get myself dressed. I can't write about my whole experience right now, but this is a start. I'm not real comfortable sitting in this chair and it's time for me to take my meds. I just wanted to let everyone know that I am doing ok.
    Brandi
    Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
    Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
    L1-S1
    Dr. William Lauerman
    Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
    Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
    http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

I also wanted to point out that every experience is different. Because I had a difficult time doesn't mean you will. Ii don't mean to scare anyone off, but I don't see the merit in sugar coating either. The vast majority of patients get through it without any major complications.
    Brandi
    Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
    Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
    L1-S1
    Dr. William Lauerman
    Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
    Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
    http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Brandi,

So good to see you report back to us. I was wondering how you’re doing. It sounds like you really had a tough time of it. Your comment about mouthing the words “help me” through tears brought back memories of my own experience in ICU. I mouthed those words many times without anyone coming to my assistance. I spent three days in the ICU from hell. I wasn’t sure I’d make it out of there alive. Wishing you a better recovery than your first one, Brandi. You deserve a break. Chris

Comment

Hi Brandi! So glad you're okay and so sorry to hear you had such a rough go of it in the hospital. It IS amazing how resilient we are, isn't it?! Best wishes for an uneventful and steady recovery.
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Yes, Brandi-- it's so good to hear you are ok and you are able to post. That must have been a scary time for you and your family-- but at least that's behind you and you are getting stronger. I'm looking forward to more installments on your hospital story... but only when you feel up to it. In the meantime, gentle hugs-- Susie
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Brandi,

I'm sorry you had such a hard time in the hospital. It must have been very scary for you to wake up that way. I'm so glad to hear that you're doing much better though. Take it easy and rest as much as you can.

((Hugs))

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hey, Brandi ... just noticed we share a surgery date. I was 2/5/2008.

I wonder what happened?

So very sorry to hear you had so much trouble! Thank you for pointing out (even with all you're going through) that most don't have problems. Mine was also a posterior approach (albeit an initial surgery, not revision), and I didn't even really require the one unit I'd banked (I just made them run it back in vs. tossing it).

Take good care of yourself: Eat well, rest as well as possible, and let others help when they offer. Fingers crossed you're on the mend and feeling MUCH better soon. It'll get better, hon ... just hang in here and stay positive. Sending good thoughts your way ;-).

Regards,
              Pam
              Last edited by txmarinemom; 02-27-2009, 08:17 PM.
              Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
              AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
              Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
              Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
              EMAIL ME

Comment

Brandi - I'm terrible with dates (and hadn't used the calendar until Susie Bee posted info on it yesterday - thanks Susie) , but noticed that you hadn't posted in a while and was a bit worried. I'm sorry things were so hard in the hospital - but it sounds like you're doing a little better. Know that you were/are in my thoughts!

Take gentle care,
                Always Smilin'

Always Smilin'
                Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
                pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
                pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
                right thoracic 57
                lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
                revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
                unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

That was hard to read but it helps all of us *this* side to be aware that something like this might happen.

You deserve a smooth recovery Brandi, I hope you get it.

Jen
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Brandi,

I just wanted to say Hi and send you my best wishes for a smooth recovery now after all the setbacks and problems you've encountered.

I've loved reading your blog (thanks for sharing) so strange how when we read little snippets of info we often feel like 'we know someone' a little!?

I really hope that this sorts everything out for you now you have been so much. Sometimes when I write messages of 'good luck' and 'best wishes' they seen so crass but I genuinely feel for you and hope that this time your recovery goes smoothly.

We can't wait for you to post the whole experience thing later..yeah, you rest, take your meds and take it easy. thanks for letting us know you are ok.
                    With many best wishes
                    Louisse
                    Diagnosed aged 17 thoracic curve of 40°/48? given brace worn for short time but was then told that I had stopped growing and it wasn’t likely to get worse. Follow ups ‘got lost in the system’ and I chose to ignore until age approx 33, after two children. Now nearly 42yrs curve was progressing (last xrays 67 degrees) and increasing 'backache' so surgery (posterior T3 - L1) went ahead beginning of September 2008 in UK - thoracic curve now approx 20° and I look a lot straighter!

Comment

Originally posted by bbest View Post
                      I had my surgery on February 5th and spent 6 days in the hospital. All I can say is wow. This was a tough surgery. I was in surgery for about 6 hours and woke up in the ICU on a ventilator - again (my surgeon didn't anticipate this as I was posterior only). My husband and my mom were with me and I was in excruciating pain and very coherent. I motioned for the nurse to give a pen and paper so that I could write. I wanted to know why I was on a vent, what happened, and why was I in such pain. Apparently, I loss a lot of blood. During surgery I was given 9 units of blood. My blood pressure was extremely low and they were not able to safely sedate me or control my pain. As my blood pressure came up, they were able to give me medicine to make me comfortable but it seemed to take forever. At one point I apparently looked at the chaplain and mouthed the words "help me" through tears. It was a rough start. In all, I was given 12 units of blood. Over the next few days, my vitals improved and I was able to start PT. It amazes me how much we improve from one say to the next. By the 5th day, I was able to give myself a sponge bath and get myself dressed. I can't write about my whole experience right now, but this is a start. I'm not real comfortable sitting in this chair and it's time for me to take my meds. I just wanted to let everyone know that I am doing ok.
                      Thanks for checking in Brandi. I had been wondering how you were doing.

The biggest thing is to take care of yourself right now. You update us when you can.

Marian

Comment

Brandi,

You are in my thoughts and prayers. I am so sorry to hear about your experience - especially after all you've already been through. It will get better - you know it will! Take care of yourself.

Best,
                        Anya
                        "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
                        Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
                        19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

My thoughts are w/you....we all know how tough it can be & we all know it ends up being okay. So glad you were able to post....please take care & I hope you are feeling better.

Lynn
                          Lynn -30.... something
                          DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
                          At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
                          At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
                          Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
                          UW Madison, WI Hospital
                          **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                            That was hard to read but it helps all of us *this* side to be aware that something like this might happen.

You deserve a smooth recovery Brandi, I hope you get it.

Jen
                            Jen---- Thinking of you w/you up coming surgery. Hang in there....Im sure your pretty fearful about now....I know I sure was. But when it came down to that day....for some reason I was pretty calm....I think I knew everything would be ok.....as it will be for you. Take care of yourself....relax alittle...get all of your "chores" done that you wont be able to tend to while your out...maybe pick up a good book that will keep your interest. Of course you will not want to read until about 2 weeks after, but then you will have something to take your mind off of everything. Take care....

Lynn
                            Lynn -30.... something
                            DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
                            At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
                            At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
                            Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
                            UW Madison, WI Hospital
                            **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Working...
                            X