Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pmsmom View Post
    Hi, Karen.

What is the ribcage deformity? It it a rotation?

Marian

Hi Marian...the ribcage deformity is being caused by the vertebrae rotating. When I spoke with the surgeon I flat out asked "ok..so the protrusion of the rib cage on the front left side (from behind) and the protrusion of the ribcage on the back right side is the rib cage being pushed due to the rotation of the vertebrae right?" and she said yes...so in essence it is crankshaft. He does have the scoliosis curvature return due to growth after the surgery...but because the vertebrae are connected to the rib cage as they rotate they rotate the rib cage. The big hope is that he is done growing and that when we see the pulmonologist that it will show that at least at this point he's not being compromised by it. I figure at that appointment and then the follow up with the ortho surgeon again we should have an even clearer picture.

karen

Comment

Karen,

I'm glad you're getting a clearer picture, albeit slowly...so sorry that correcting the curve doesn't seem to be an option at this point, but I hope that in the least, Tommy has finished growing, his curve is stable, & it's not affecting his respiratory function.

I'm not online as much right now as I used to be, but you guys are in my thoughts. Fingers crossed for good news from Tommy's pulmonologist.

Take care.

Comment

Continued curvature post surgery/crankshaft

Originally posted by discombobulated View Post
        Karen,

I'm not online as much right now as I used to be, but you guys are in my thoughts. Fingers crossed for good news from Tommy's pulmonologist.

Take care.
        Hi...thank you for your thoughts...really appreciate it. Figure for now it's just wait till the appointments and then go from there...make sure I have my "list" and make sure both the pulmonologist & the ortho surgeon answer all of them...lol. Make sure I see and get copies of the xrays now that they do them on computer and can print a copy out...add it to the file. I think that will be the biggy...just that he has stopped growing which will make things easier and that everything respitory is ok. Just maintain I guess and I will be ok with that.

Thank you again....

Karen

Comment

Working...
        X