4 months post-op anniversary, but today feeling like crap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 months post-op anniversary, but today feeling like crap

I guess I overdid it, but not really sure. I did do quite a bit of walking outside last week, plus Friday I had PT. Then we went out both Friday night to dinner and last night to a party. I've got that 'suit of armor' feeling as Karen O calls it on my left shoulder blade area, but it also wraps around to that side of my chest.

I am debating if I should take one of my pills, but with all the trouble I had getting off them, I'm a little afraid. I had been doing so well the last few weeks too...I guess it's 2 steps forward and 3 back right now.

Here I was thinking I was bored lately and was starting to look for a job.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Debbe

How far along would you say you are in a percentage? I think I rated myself at around 50% recovered at 4 months. I was feeling good most of the time, and if I over did it, Id pay the price. Just remember, the number of good days will outweigh the number of bad days as time goes by.

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I feel your pain...

..I over did it too...and today isnt as smooth as Friday & Saturday was. I actually showered by myself yesterday, washed my own hair & everything. Even figured out a way to shave! I got dressed in my baggest pair of jeans, that now actually fit on my hips like they were supposed to this whole time & found out that hummm...my hips are larger than my waist...nothin' that a good ole safty pin can fix! So what if I have to replaced all 12 pair of my jeans & work pants! UGHHHHH!! Either way, I did my hair & makeup as well. This took the whole day to do by the way. Paul and I went for Mexican & the getting in and out of the car was not too bad! I was so excited! We even may a stop to best buy after! I felt good that night & woke up today feeling "good" so we took my mother in laws offer for brunch, and away I went again. This time, after we ate, we ended up at the mall. After 3 hours out & about I was spent. My back hurt & I was tired so we headed home. Im hurting now and paying the price I guess....BUT I would do it all over again as it was VERY nice to feel somewhat normal again...even if it was only for a few hours!

You will be as good as new tomorrow Debbe, Im sure of it! Im using xtra strength Tylonol if I skip a dose of my hydro & it seems to do the trick. Good luck & hang in there!
      Lynn -30.... something
      DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
      At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
      At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
      Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
      UW Madison, WI Hospital
      **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
        Debbe

How far along would you say you are in a percentage? I think I rated myself at around 50% recovered at 4 months. I was feeling good most of the time, and if I over did it, Id pay the price. Just remember, the number of good days will outweigh the number of bad days as time goes by.

Ed
        Hi Ed,

before today I would have said I was 75% recovered. Now I have no clue. I'm a little better than earlier today, but really babied myself the whole day. I think I was just spoiled having so many good days in a row that I took it as 'recovered'.

Comment

Before all this crap with my sacroiliac joint I was about 50 percent but man this has set me back. I got my second round of injections on Friday and will be resuming physical therapy on Mon specifically for this joint. It is so painful. I am trying not be discouraged but I definitely overdid and now I have to start back at kind of a new square one.
          wendy from ct.
          49 years old
          50 degree lumbar curve
          corrected to zero
          Oct 6th, 2008
          wendy from Ct
          surgery Oct 6th 2008
          50 degree lumbar curve
          corrected to zero

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
            ... before today I would have said I was 75% recovered. Now I have no clue. I'm a little better than earlier today, but really babied myself the whole day. I think I was just spoiled having so many good days in a row that I took it as 'recovered'.
            Debbe,

It used to irritate me immensely when people on here warned me not to overdo, and basically (although they didn't mean it to be offensive) that I wasn't as "recovered" as I thought. I, too, felt very good, very early - and made great progress in the first few months. Probably, I would have said I was recovered 75% at about 3 months out: At just over a year post-op, I know that was WAY off the mark.

Try not to let it get you down ... it's completely normal, and it WILL get better. I'm pretty sure the majority of us have had at least one setback (and they usually pass quickly) simply because we felt good enough to do something boneheaded ;-).

I had a few setbacks where I wasn't even DOING anything ... and it's particularly tough to not let those incidents get to you.

One day, a few months after surgery (when I'd been feeling like Superwoman for a while) I was sitting on the couch, turned my head, and *~ZAP~* ... instant, intense pain at the top of my scapula that felt like a combination of a pulled muscle and nerve pain. I called PNUTTRO in a total panic (convinced I'd pulled something loose - or worse), and she told me in her very unflappable, very matter of fact PNUTTRO way, "Eh. It happens. Rest and put some ice on it.".

I recall thinking "What do you MEAN it just happens?!?", but mostly, I thought "How long is this kind of crap GOING to happen? All I did was turn my head!".

Evidently I missed where you had trouble getting off your meds, but LynnMarie's Tylenol suggestion works for many people (it didn't for me, and my surgeon didn't have a problem - some do - with me taking Advil). It's certainly worth a shot. Try icing the painful area for a few days (most likely, it's inflamed from overactivity). If it's still sore in a few days, carefully apply heat (I say "carefully" because I burned the bejeezus out of my numb skin more than once ... doh!).

The pain from overdoing does seem to pass pretty quickly for most of us. Rest up, listen to your body and it'll be gone before you know it!

BTW, Karen, I love your "suit of armor" description ... very appropriate. ;-)

Regards,
            Pam
            Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
            AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
            Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
            Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
            EMAIL ME

Comment

Debbie,

I hope you start feeling better soon. I will try and remember when I have my surgery that I will have those kinds of days and to keep my chin up! I found my distraction to surgery.....facebook! I have reconnected with so many of my friends from high school and college that it has completely lightened my mood and gives me something else to think about. I highly recommend it!

Lynn.....go easy on those trips to the mall! Your brave to be out so soon!

Take care to you both.

Susan
              Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
              50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
              Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
              X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
              Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
              Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
              Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Dear Debbie,

I'm so sorry to hear that you've had a setback. Especially when you've been feeling so good! Most of the time I feel great, but there are those reminders that I've had this big, major traumatic thing happen to me! Like 2 weeks ago when I flipped my towel over the shower bar and something in my shoulder went "RIP!" and it has been sore to the touch (and to move) under my shoulder blade ever since. Slowly getting better, but wow! Just flipping the towel up to take a shower???

I'm wondering if you have muscle relaxants available? Soma, rebaxin, or zanaflex? For me, a muscle relaxant works when I have the tight feeling, especially after doing a lot. I don't seem to have "pain" per se, so haven't been taking pain pills (and I'm also afraid, because I too had a little "withdrawal" episode when I came off too steeply).

Good luck! Glad you had a good weekend though!
                Lisa MS
                age 46

Braced 1976 - 1980, corrected to 19" then
                Spinal fusion, a/p, 8 vertebrae, 11/17/08
                Lumbar curve was 57 degrees, now 24 degrees
                Dr. Doug Wong, Panorama Ortho, Golden, Colo.

Comment

Thanks Susan and Lisa,

If my pain was 10 yesterday, today it's 8.5. I went to PT today, and the therapist had me on heat, then was stretching me out, which felt good. She's thinking that it's the muscles between the ribs that wrap around from the back to front, and I should continue to rest. She seems to think that in time I'll be just fine. It was very reassuring.

Lisa, my husband does have some muscle relaxants, but I refuse to take anything that wasn't prescribed for me---unlike HIM. LOL I did take a pain pill yesterday which helped me sleep. If I need another tonight I will take it. I don't think I'd get addicted after just a few pills, right?

Comment

Debbe-Im sorry that you are having a few days in a row of crappiness....it must really suck feeling good & then boom! I dont think you will get depedent on the pills from one a day.But eh, who am I? What if you asked your Doc if you could take some type of sleeping pill? That way you arent messin w/pain pills......just a thought? Hang in there....you'll be feeling good soon!
                    Lynn -30.... something
                    DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
                    At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
                    At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
                    Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
                    UW Madison, WI Hospital
                    **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Hello!

Hi Debbe!
                      So glad that your surgery is over and you seem to be doing really well!! Mine is April 16th...less than 2 mos..oh my!!! I enjoyed reading your posts and so very glad that the worst part is over for you!
                      Becky-29 New Market, TN
                      Spinal Fusion 3/17/09
                      T3 to L3-73 degree curve to a 20ish

I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength

Comment

Debbe,

After feeling so good so early on, I can totally relate to the feeling of hitting walls that seem to materialise from the smallest of things (or out of thin air). Once I'm feeling well(ish) post-op, I sometimes find it hard to remember just what a trauma my body's been through, & just how hard it's still working to heal - even several months out from surgery! It's so easy to think you're feeling fine so just do "a little more"...and a little more.... and a little more... and suddenly, you've waaay overdone things & are paying for it.

All I can offer is the thought that this is not 2 steps forward & 3 steps backwards - more like 2 steps forward & 1 step back: You feel 75% well at just 3 months out from a MAJOR assault on your body & mind! As frustrating as the setbacks and low days are, you are doing so well, & you will get there Take it easy, & take a lesson from this wall so you don't come up against it again (says me, who continually hits the same walls, LOL! But..I don't want you to do the same thing). Please don't let this steal your confidence or detract from your good days.

And, I'd second (third?) the suggestion of taking a painkiller, especially one that you won't need to worry about taking as needed or the strong one sparingly. I've no idea what Tylenol is, but if there is an OTC med that helps your pain, perhaps consider using that as a first-line for pain control - and things like a cold pack or heat pack can also be useful, esp. in conjunction with med/s (though, yep, be careful with both - esp. the heat pack). I really hope you're feeling back on track very soon.

Take care

--

Lynn Marie - I'm really sorry I'd missed your post until now about bad days early on....recovery can be such a rough road, but I'm so glad you feel like you're making headway now, and doing so well. I agree that sometimes, the overdoing it is SO worth it, lol! It's great to hear about your outings - but do listen to your body, too Best wishes for many good days through your recovery journey. Take care

Comment

Originally posted by discombobulated View Post
                          Debbe,

........ I sometimes find it hard to remember just what a trauma my body's been through, & just how hard it's still working to heal - even several months out from surgery! It's so easy to think you're feeling fine so just do "a little more"...and a little more.... and a little more... and suddenly, you've waaay overdone things & are paying for it.

All I can offer is the thought that this is not 2 steps forward & 3 steps backwards - more like 2 steps forward & 1 step back
                          Disc.,

You are totally right with that first quote. I think that's my problem, that I forgot just what I went through! Can you EVEN believe that I would be thinking that way? I must be a fruitcake. I spoke to Pam the other day who reassured me that this does happen and I should just listen to my body. I am feeling better than a few days ago, so I know I'm on the mend. I did call Dr. Neuwirth's office and they called in a prescription for muscle relaxants which I guess are helping. I did sleep like a rock last night. My husband said he actually leaned over to see if I was still breathing because I just didn't stir one bit, LOL. And usually I'm smacking him in the head for snoring,

As far as the 2 steps forward & 3 back, I can't get that old Paula Abdul song out of my head! I think it will be there all day.

Comment

Originally posted by becky331 View Post
                            Hi Debbe!
                            So glad that your surgery is over and you seem to be doing really well!! Mine is April 16th...less than 2 mos..oh my!!! I enjoyed reading your posts and so very glad that the worst part is over for you!
                            Hi Becky,

Enjoy your 2 months, it will go by in a flash. I know that you'll be just fine. If I can do it (and I'm the biggest chicken on the planet), then you can too!

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
                              Disc.,

You are totally right with that first quote. I think that's my problem, that I forgot just what I went through! Can you EVEN believe that I would be thinking that way? I must be a fruitcake. I spoke to Pam the other day who reassured me that this does happen and I should just listen to my body. I am feeling better than a few days ago, so I know I'm on the mend. I did call Dr. Neuwirth's office and they called in a prescription for muscle relaxants which I guess are helping. I did sleep like a rock last night. My husband said he actually leaned over to see if I was still breathing because I just didn't stir one bit, LOL. And usually I'm smacking him in the head for snoring,

As far as the 2 steps forward & 3 back, I can't get that old Paula Abdul song out of my head! I think it will be there all day.
                              I too forget and minimize what I have been through only 4 months ago . I have had my second round of injections for sacroiliac pain, am taking it way easy this time and respecting my body by building up to walking and moving around even after the shot has helped to removed the debilitating part of the pain. Now I think I finally have it through my dumb head that I have to let this take it's own course. I am back on pain meds right now but I know this is temporary. I don't like the feeling of going off of them either but I will cross that road when I come to it and take the 1-2 per day that I need right now to keep moving and recovering. Acceptance is going to have to be my keyword from now on and I'm going to have to work at remembering that. Debbei, thanks for your posts. It's good to hear from someone who is right where I am in this process.
                              wendy from Ct
                              surgery Oct 6th 2008
                              50 degree lumbar curve
                              corrected to zero

Comment

Working...
                              X