Shirt question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shirt question

I'm making Carolyn some PJ's for the hospital and beyond (actually, I've already made the pants & she loves them, I can hardly get her out of them to get dressed! Silly girl!)

I've read that the button in the front type shirts are best for after surgery vs. pull over your head.

Does it really matter though? She isn't a big fan of the button shirts & I'm just wondering if I should make one that way or just stick with the pull over?

You know if I had enough fabric, I would probably try to make one of each! I never gave that a thought until I started writing this.

I just want to make her life easier but on the other hand, if she isn't going to wear it, I hate to spend the time making it. I'm not a great seamstress or anything, this is just basic sewing.
    Becky
    Mom to DD (15) with S 48*+ curve
    Had her surgery March 9, 2009

Many fusion patients say that lifting your arms above your head pulls too much on the very fresh incisions on her back. I would be cautious about pullover shirts in the very beginning. It shouldn't last long tho. Lifting her arms is good exercise.

I don't know how much of her own clothes is needed in the hospital. If she has any bleeding issues, you don't want to bleed on your own clothes. If she's nauseated and vomits, you'd rather be in hospital clothes. I'd say those first 2-3 days, especially, she won't care what she's wearing. Once she starts feeling better (you'll know) then she'll want her own clothes.
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Thanks.

I don't know how much she will need either but I figured toward the end days when she is getting ready to go home, she's going to want her comfy PJ's vs. hospital gown.

I'll stick with making it button up & if I happen to have extra fabric, make a pull over one later.

I figured at least one pair of PJ's, one pair of comy regular clothes to wear home (although she *could* wear her PJ's home really if she wanted to -- might just be a little cold leaving the hospital). Other than that, I don't know if much else is necessary. She has a comfy robe. The only thing she doesn't have is slip-on shoes yet because we are arguing what type she needs.

She is wanting something like what a croc would look like with no back (and some heel on it) but I'm thinking she needs something more like a keds? I'm thinking the no back might not be sturdy enough for walking...I could see them falling off or something but she is one who could live in flip-flops so ??
      Becky
      Mom to DD (15) with S 48*+ curve
      Had her surgery March 9, 2009

Comment

Becky,

My daughter started wearing her own clothes as soon as the catheter came out. Jamie wore lounging pants and regular pull-over t-shirts without any problems. This is what she went home in as well even though it was winter. By the time we got home, she was very tired and it was nice to be able to go straight to bed without changing clothes. If you take regular clothes for the ride home, make sure the pants are comfortable. Jamie simply lived in louging/pj pants with elastic waistbands for the first few weeks. The dressing she had in the hospital was very thick and bulky, so the elastic waist band was good for that.

I'd worry about falling issues with flip-flops or crocs. We found fun toe socks with the grippy stuff on the bottom and that's what Jamie wore.

Mary Lou
        Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

I remember when I was in the hospital all i wore was the gown, I was to weak and tired to care. She's just going to want to stay in bed the first little bit, T.V for me was all I liked to do On the ride home I wore a very large T shirt and PJ pants, which coinicidentally I made in school! Pull over shirts are no biggy, just be sure to have some larger ones at hand for the first one or two weeks. As long as they are comfy, thats all that matters. Basically for the first two weeks all i did was lounge and watch my savior, the TV, in my parents bed Good luck
          I'm 19 years old, had surgery 5 years ago
          3 curves Middle curve - 65 fused to 13 Bottom curve 35- fixed on it's own to 16!
          Fused from C7 to L1

Comment

Working...
          X