Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annessa and Sam - 1 year post op

Hi Everyone,

It has been a while since I posted on the forum but I have been checking in every now and then to see how you are all doing. I can hardly believe that a year has passed since Annessa's fusion. Through this forum we now have a very special friendship with Sam, (who was fused the same day as Pam, which was just a few days before Annessa), and her mum, Michele and having each other to talk to through their recoveries made all the difference. We visited them at the summer and Michele threw a big party so we could all celebrate how far the girls had came. It was a wonderful day. They are both doing incredibly well and Sam spent her 1st anniversary whizzing around an ice rink with no fear whatsoever and Annessa was up Glen Coe learning winter skills. I know how hard it is when your child is diagnosed with scoliosis and how terrifying the build up is to the fusion and those first days of recovery but I just wanted to let you know that there is light at the end of the tunnel and you are not alone. The people on this forum are great and really care. Love and hugs to you all.

Anne
    Last edited by Neesasmum; 02-09-2009, 07:11 AM.
    Mum to Annessa, age 15
    53 degree thoracic curve down to 10 degrees.
    Date of surgery: 7th Feb 2008
    Edinburgh, Sick Kids
    Fused T4 - L1

I'm so glad to hear both Annessa and Sam are doing great . I've wondered about our February bunch often ... there were quite a few of us!

Isn't it still ~weird~ some days to realize it's been a whole YEAR ago?

Best regards,
    Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

Hi Pam,

Oh yes, it is really weird to think it was a whole year ago, it has just flown in and the whole thing is still so fresh in my mind.

I am glad to see that you have made a great recovery and are still there for anyone who needs advice and support on the forum!

I think about you all often and fondly.

Take good care,
      Anne
      Mum to Annessa, age 15
      Edinburgh, Sick Kids
      Fused T4 - L1

Comment

Anne,

Thats good to hear! Its amazing how quickly the healing takes place. Keep up the good work with Annessa, from my own eperience it was my mother who helped me out the most. It really is important to have that support and understanding.

Brad
        Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
        Still have 57 degree curve
        2 Harrington rods
        Luque method used
        Dr David Bradford
        Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
        Preop xray (with brace on)
        Postop xray

Comment

One year, woot!

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to say that it is Samantha's one year anniversary from her surgery this week. For all you members who are planning for their surgeries and for those who are in the various stages of recovery, you are in our thoughts and prayers. Though it might seem it will never happen, life does return to normal after a spinal fusion. There are heros on the post who rehabilitate very quickly and bounce back after a few weeks time. There are other patients that take a little more time and some others that take even longer. Everyone heals at their own pace, but trust this - that everyone does heal.

Moms: Cherish this special healing time with your children and be thankful that they want you and need you. Sam is off to college in the fall and I am grateful for all the time we spent together during her recovery.

Sam and I are also grateful for our wonderful friendship with Anne (neesasmum) and Annessa from across the pond who we met on this post. Friendship doubles joy and halves grief and we were all so happy to be able to share our concerns through recovery and celebrate the progress the girls made.

Be Well Everyone.
          Samsmom
          Mom to Samantha, Age 17

64 Degree Thoracic Curve
          42 Degree Lumbar Curve
          Fused T-4 to L-2
          Yale New Haven
          2/5/08

Comment

Originally posted by Qikdraw View Post
            Anne,

Thats good to hear! Its amazing how quickly the healing takes place. Keep up the good work with Annessa, from my own eperience it was my mother who helped me out the most. It really is important to have that support and understanding.

Brad
            Hi Brad,

Your mum sounds like a wonderful lady. Thank you for your good advice. It is exceptionally hard for a parent to watch their child suffer and anything we can do to alleviate that suffering helps us too.

Be well.

Anne
            Mum to Annessa, age 15
            Edinburgh, Sick Kids
            Fused T4 - L1

Comment

Working...
            X