No announcement yet.

Another newbie here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Karen, It sounds like your daughter managed well. I breezed through some old posts, & it looked like your daughter was fused from T4 to L4, is that right? That 's what my daughter's will be. How old was your daughter at the time? How is her mobility? Are they ever able to twist their backs at some point? Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by alwayzsomethin' View Post
      Hi Karen, It sounds like your daughter managed well. I breezed through some old posts, & it looked like your daughter was fused from T4 to L4, is that right? That 's what my daughter's will be. How old was your daughter at the time? How is her mobility? Are they ever able to twist their backs at some point? Thanks in advance!
      Yes, she was fused T4-L4. She was 1 month shy of her 13thd birthday at the time of surgery.

Her mobility now is limited to the fact that she cannot touch her toes when bending. Other than that, she is able to do everything again - she played a good season of volleyball this past fall and is looking forward to starting soccer in the spring.

As far as twisting - not sure what you mean. She is able to twist side to side - I see her doing the hulla-hoop on the wii fit all the time and she's pretty good at it!

Last week some classmate of hers ran up behind her and slapped her really hard on her back (not knowing her circumstances).. She said it didn't hurt but it startled her and she got scared. I feel like going to that kid and slapping him across his head!! ;-)

Karen

Comment

Karen, Its great that your daughter is doing really well. Its nice to personally know this info and that I can let my daughter know there's someone out there with very similar circumstances that has gone through this already! It's promising for her knowing she WILL be "back in the saddle" so to speak. What were your daughters curves before & after? And I apoligize, if you mentioned somewhere else & I didn't catch it. I seem to be pretty scatter brained at times. I think I've got too much on my plate right now.

PS: With the slapping; I get that feeling every so often too, with some people!

Comment

[QUOTE=alwayzsomethin';70602]Karen, Its great that your daughter is doing really well. Its nice to personally know this info and that I can let my daughter know there's someone out there with very similar circumstances that has gone through this already! It's promising for her knowing she WILL be "back in the saddle" so to speak. What were your daughters curves before & after? And I apoligize, if you mentioned somewhere else & I didn't catch it. I seem to be pretty scatter brained at times. I think I've got too much on my plate right now.

Her curves prior to surgery were 75*T and 65*L. 6 months prior to that, she was 55T and 51L - so they progressed very rapidly in the 6 months while we were awaiting surgery. After the surgery, she was balanced with both curves down to 20*.

If your daughter needs a buddy to talk to, I know that mine is willing to be a buddy and offer support - she's already one to another girl in her school that is going through the same thing. PM me if you like and we can exchange more info.

I actually had to look up the degrees of curvature because it's something that I don't really think about anymore. It's hard to believe that just 1 short year ago, I was consumed with emotions and worry over all of this. Rest assured, that it won't be long for you before you are on the other side of this and you will notice the sun shining brighter and life will get back to normal.

((hugs))

Karen

Comment

Thanks Karen,
            I sent you a PM. Tracy

Comment

Working...
            X