No announcement yet.

How Long Does Surgery Last

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jesse went into the OR at 7:30 am, surgery was finished around 3:30-4 and we saw him in ICU about 45 minutes after that. (fused T2-L1) The surgical nurse liason updated us every 1 1/2 hours, they were prepping the skin, first incision, inserting hardware etc. The time went by faster than I thought. I anticipated being a wreck and couldn't fathom how I was going to make it through all those hours. (a little Ativan didn't hurt either) To pass the time, we played on the laptop, wrote out Christmas cards, puzzle books and magazines. We had breakfast after our first update and planned lunch and walks around the other updates.
    As far as returning to school, our surgeon originally said 4-6 weeks. Jesse goes back Monday 1/2 days for a week (he'll be 4 weeks post op), then the following week he can return full time.
    I'm going to echo Mary Lou. STAY HYDRATED AND MAKE SURE YOU EAT!!
    After Jesse's second stint in the hospital, there was a night while standing supporting Jesse as the nurse was changing the linens (he had the sweats), she had to hit the "all call" button because my blood sugar dropped and I was on the verge of vomiting and passing out. From that point on when checking on Jesse, the nurses would check in with me, too. The nurses and surgeon's fellow said too many times moms burn themselves out.
    It's a lot of work mentally and physically helping your child through recovery. Between tending to Jesse's needs, catching some z's while he slept, I forgot to eat 3 meals a day. Heck I forgot to eat 2 meals a day! When my family asked if there was anything they could do, I asked for prepared meals! Hey, they were asking and I was going to take them up on it.
    Bethany
    Last edited by babachi; 01-08-2009, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Hey Bethany--

How is Jesse's incision looking? Oops--I just read on another thread that it's doing fine. Great news!

Mary Ellen
      Last edited by WNCmom; 01-08-2009, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Mary Lou,

You didn't upset me at all. I didn't take it that way. I think it was more of a realization on my part that I need to focus more on Katelyn and less on me. I know that she is the one who has to go through recovery. I appreciate everyone reminding me to take care of myself also. That is soooo funny what Jamie said in recovery I could definately see my Katelyn saying something like that. I am glad you still get on to support others - I hope I can do the same too. It is so much comfort to talk to others who have been there. With all the people who keep asking me why I am putting my daughter through this surgery, I am glad there are those who understand. Thanks for the encouragement

sharon

Comment

Bethany,

I think I will definately have to do something besides just sit. I think I will take my laptop. Thanks for the advice. I will make sure to remember my water and maybe some crackers or something. I will be glad to be on the other side of this. (or did I say that already)

Sharon

Comment

I don't really have anything to add but I'm glad you started this thread. It's nice to hear others who have BTDT and what was a good idea, etc...

I wouldn't think of it is whining as trying to be prepared and coping. My DD is scheduled for surgery March 9 and I'm basically freaked out now (I was fine until 2009 hit!).

I intend to just take a whole slew of big Find-a-word books with me to pass the time. I don't know if there is internet access there! THAT would definitely be helpful while waiting.

I'm going to be solo in the waiting room (which is OK -- I'm prepared for it and almost am thinking I will prefer it that way -- if anyone else is there I'll probably be bawling or something (I cry easily anyway) but if I'm on my own I can distract my mind easier!) -- DH has to work, my parents are taking care of the other 3 kids -- so it will be me. I'm thinking I will *really* be solo in the waiting room as I doubt there are that many surgeries going on at any one time there from the conversations I have had, that is the impression I get.

Good idea with the water. I probably wouldn't have thought of that.

In our case, the estimates are anywhere from 4-6 hours.
            Becky
            Mom to DD (15) with S 48*+ curve
            Had her surgery March 9, 2009

Comment

Hi Becky,

I hope that by March, I will have a good story of our surgery to share. I am praying for a superstar surgery with no problems. Thanks for your encouragement. I am so glad I haven't had too long to wait. It is really hard riding that rollercoaster of whether to have surgery, what kind, etc. We just found out Dec. 29th about her surgery on Jan. 26 so we haven't had too long too think about that part. This forum is great support. Keep us posted.

Sharon

Comment

Working...
              X