50 degrees kyphosis any ideas out there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 degrees kyphosis any ideas out there

I just talked to someone that just had surgery 11 mos ago. He says I should do a signature but I do not know how to do. I tried. I am a 52 female scheduled for surgery 2/11. I do not have any comparison films so I can't see if I am progressing.I have known of my scholisosis since 13, it is congenital. I had films at 21 but no record of them. The ones in Dec. that say 50 degrees kyphosis is all I have. I only have a back ache every 3 wks and I wake up with one daily that a hot shower eliminates. All I take is Aleve and a heating pad on backache night once every 3 wks. I do have to get up to go to the bathroom 5 hrs into my sleep. Am I severe enough for surgery? Will it get worse? Any kyphosis people out there?Do I wait for comparison films in a year or 2 or is it inevitable?

Cherie
    scheduled for 2/11
    Barnes,Lenke
    50 degrees kyphosis
    Fusion frontal C7-L1

Hi Cherie...

50 degrees is on the high end of normal, according to Michael Neuwirth's book, "The Scoliosis Sourcebook. If Dr. Lenke is planning to do an instrumented fusion, I'd certainly want to discuss the pros and cons of it.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Cherie,

Have you gotten a second opinion? I would get at least a second opinion before having surgery.

By the way, I responded to your other post explaining that my then 13 y.o. daughter had surgery to correct her Scoliosis which was about 46* and her Kyphosis which was about 71*. She is now 4 years post-op and doing great!

Mary Lou
      Last edited by Snoopy; 01-01-2009, 11:45 AM.
      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Hi Cherie,
        I believe my kyphosis was about 85 degrees. I had a very big hump, mid section of my back. Since surgery, the hump is gone and now 21/2 yrs out, I am very happy with the outcome. Ly

Comment

Guys

I was just wondering, 50 degrees is on the high end of normal, what is the normal kyphotic curve?

Lets say. if the normal kyphotic curve is 35 degrees. and you are 50 degrees then your out 15 degrees from normal.

In a coronal view with scoliosis, a 15 degree sounds pretty good to me, especially with 2 70 degree curves.

If the normal scoliotic curve is 10 degrees, 15 degrees would only be out 5 degrees from normal.

Thanx
          Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi,

I think you got some good advice above about at least one second opinion. In regards to Ed's post, I believe normal kyphosis is considered to be 20-45 degrees or so. So it is unclear from your post what prompted you to consider surgery, since you say the pain/discomfort is pretty mild usually.

If it were me considering a huge surgery like this, I would keep in mind that many surgeons will offer surgery based simply on abnormal x-ray findings. It seems like they leave it up to you to determine if you are ready for surgery or really need surgery at the present time. If you didn't know about the abnormal x-ray, and had only the relatively mild-sounding back pain, would you consider surgery? In the absence of documented progression, only you can decide what your goal for the surgery is, and decide if it's time or not. It doesn't sound to me like an urgent situation based on the info you gave in your post, especially since you are now expressing doubts. Perhaps you will consider postponing surgery until you can give it some more thought, decide what you expect to accomplish from having surgery now, and explore at least one second opinion from a very experienced spinal deformity surgeon. And this might give you time to determine if there is progression or not.

Take care and good luck,
            Gayle, age 50
            Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
            Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
            Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
            2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
            2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
              Guys

I was just wondering, 50 degrees is on the high end of normal, what is the normal kyphotic curve?

Lets say. if the normal kyphotic curve is 35 degrees. and you are 50 degrees then your out 15 degrees from normal.

In a coronal view with scoliosis, a 15 degree sounds pretty good to me, especially with 2 70 degree curves.

If the normal scoliotic curve is 10 degrees, 15 degrees would only be out 5 degrees from normal.

Thanx
              Ed
              According to Michael Neuwirth, "kyphosis ... should range from 20 to 50 degrees."
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thx Linda

20-50 degrees is quite a range. 30 degrees total deviation.

And what are the stats on lordosis?

Thx
                Ed
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258