Spine curvature after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mary Ellen,

I am glad that Sidneys fall turned out okay. I would have totally flipped out. I am worrying about all of that kind of stuff already and Katelyn hasn't even had surgery yet I know I'm gonna make it. Thanks for the encouragment.

Sharon

Comment

Bethany--

You sound so calm. It must be so disconcerting to have this drainage issue happening. Please keep us posted on what's happening. Hoping and hoping for a resolution that does not involve the OR again!

Mary Ellen

Comment

Laurie--

Just to elaborate on the apparent shoulder discrepancy--Dr. Cahill had Sidney hold his arms out straight ("like a capitol T"). When Sidney did that, his shoulders were pretty even, so structurally they are okay--apparently it's, as you say, a habit of standing. Very frustrating for a parent who wants their child to grow straight, since there is so much growth left....but at least there is the opportunity to grow straight! We'll keep on working on it. He does appear to be straighter than immediately post-op.

Mary Ellen

Comment

Mary Ellen--glad to hear that Sidney's check up looks good!

Bethany--still praying for you all with Jesse's drainage. When I first read about this, I wondered if it might not be an allergic reaction of some kind, but I don't know if an allergic reaction would cause a fever.

Thank you for sharing all that's happening with Jesse. I've been trying to keep up with your blog. I'm sure it's been very trying, but it has been a help to us here as well. I think it's good to know about things that can happen, so those of us who are still awaiting surgery can keep informed and question things with doctors and nurses.

Take care!
          Marian

Comment

No drainage in about 24 hours!!!! Yippee! Doctor said he can go back 1/2 days to school Monday as long as there's no more drainage. I posted new xrays from today on my blog. Holy screws, Batman! I had no idea they were that big! His spine looks to be a bit more curved than days post op, but the surgeon was still satisfied. Jesse has to go back in 2 weeks, so that will be on the front burner of questions. Today my focus was the drainage.
            Overall, Jesse's recovery has been great, the exception being the drainage. Another theory is that because Jesse feels as good as he does and is up and around, that gravity is part of the reason for the drainage. So Jesse still needs to take it slow, lay down on his stomach as much as he can.
            As far as fever goes, Jesse hasn't had one in days. According to nurses, anesthesiologists, etc. a low grade fever is common after surgery and we have been told by several people (including my best friend, a surgical ICU nurse), that the breathing exercises are key. For those not familiar with the exercises, Jesse had a small rectangular plastic thing that houses 3 chambers with a ball in each and a "straw" attached. The object is to suck in and get the balls to the top and hold them there. He was told to do this 10 times per hour in the beginning.
            Bethany

Comment

That's really wonderful news, Bethany. You must be so relieved. And he's feeling good enough to go back to school! Time does fly post-op, doesn't it.

Mary Ellen

Comment

Bethany

Glad to hear everything is well.

sharon

Comment

Bethany,

Let's hope all of Jesse's problems are behind you and you can start worrying about the "normal" stuff that comes with kids!

Good luck on Monday. Just a warning: I think I was more nervous sending Jamie back to school after surgery than I was sending her off to her first day of K-4!

Mary Lou
                  Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Doin' the happy dance here for you, Bethany! \o/

So how long has it been that the doctor is releasing him for 1/2 days on Mondays?

I have one of those breathing exercise thingies already at home--we were trying to have my dd use this *years* ago to help her lung function with her asthma. When I told her she'd have to use it after surgery, she groaned.

Won't it be a fun time around our house?

Marian

Comment

Working...
                    X