Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm killing my wife...

Well so she says anyway...

We live here, and I am taking her to here for a week. She keeps saying I'm trying to kill her. She says a born and bred Californian has no business being in places where it gets so cold.

Over the last week we have been getting fleece stuff for her, so she should be ok. The power of the fleece is mighty.

I just thought I'd share because I am having no end of fun with this. So I'll be off for a week startng tomorrow, not that I'm posting all that much anymore, but still.

Have a happy new year everyone!

Brad
    Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
    Still have 57 degree curve
    2 Harrington rods
    Luque method used
    Dr David Bradford
    Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
    Preop xray (with brace on)
    Postop xray

Brad

I've had the same problems. I know exactly where you are coming from. Between the skiing in powder storms and going on shark dives, I've heard those exact same words.

"whadya gunna do?"

Don't let your rod temps drop too much, I mean you could freeze up like the tin man. Go easy with the WD-40!

Interesting article from Sun health. LOL

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN

Have fun
    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

My God Brad,

that place would kill me too!! Make sure you keep your wife warm, huh? I HATE cold.

Have a good vacation.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Brad--Hopefully she'll survive the cold ok-- just make sure wherever you're staying is nice and warm inside. Sometimes it depends on what you're expecting and prepared for... I just got back from a week in California and we were cold a lot of the time there. And we were not that far from you. We were in Santa Monica for a wedding, down to Escondido for a quick visit, then on over to Ridgecrest/China Lake for the rest of the time until we headed back to catch our flight. We missed the big ice storm here-- and the results-- no power for 5 days-- so I'm glad of that. But it's good to be back home in Indiana again, even with the winter weather. I grew up in California-- but the northern part of the central valley, where it's not warm in the winter.
        Regardless, you make adjustments to where you are after a little bit...

I hope you have a wonderful trip and that she enjoys the trip too. Hot chocolate is always nice to warm you up. Hugs, Susie
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi Brad,

You mean, mean man ! Most people up here go south for the winter and you're south and going north????? Hopefully Winnipeg will get the thaw we're getting up here in Ottawa right now (thank goodness, because there just wasn't anymore room to put the snow anymore!). All I know about Winnipeg though is "Portage and Main - 50 below" Have a good trip!

- Sarah
          - 39 years old
          - At age 14, curve progressed from 45 degrees to 62 degrees in two months.
          - Surgery in 1990 at the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) with Dr. Letts. Fused T5 to L2. Corrected to about 30 degrees.
          - Harrington rod
          - Herniated disc - L5/S1 - January 2008. Summer 2009 - close to making a full recovery.
          - New mommy as of February 2011
          - Second child - September 2013
          - Staying relatively painfree through physio exercises!

Comment

Ed
            Do you think drinking some gasline antifreeze would help keep my rods from icing up??

Debbe
            Doesn't NJ get cold?

Susie
            When were you in CA? We just had a cold spell here actually. On the 18th of Dec this was my house here in the desert. First snow in about 3 years, and the first time in my 7 years here the snow actually was deeper than an inch. We got about 4" in total. Its all gone and green grass is showing again.

Sarah
            Winnipeg won't be too bad this next week. I was kinda hoping for a blizzard, but it looks to be sunny days ahead. Temps won't be too bad either. Although my wife is getting very very nervous right now, going into something she has never experienced. Me telling her not to breathe too deep when we get to Wpg or she might freeze her lungs isn't helping , but I am also trying to be supportive too. She'll be fine.
            She did fight to getting winter boots though. She wanted something with heels. (typical Californian) Thankfully our hairdresser and a few other people who she trusts have told her to get real winter boots. She just wants 'cute' not things to make her look like the Michelin Man. However function over form when it comes to cold weather.

All in all its going to be a very nice time spent with my mother. I'm going to be able to have Winkler farmer sausage, philidelphia dill pickle chip dip, saskatoon berry syrup, A&W, Tim Horton doughnuts, coffee crisps, eatmores, and most important Thrills gum! (yes the gum that tastes like soap)

I'll see you all in a little over a week and let you know if she froze or not.

Cheers, and happy new year!

Brad
            2 Harrington rods
            Luque method used
            Dr David Bradford
            Postop xray

Comment

Brad

I had visions of the tin man in his frozen state thinking about Manitoba. I was searching for a picture of him and stumbled across that wd-40 article in the Sun.

No, gas line antifreeze or contact with any petroleum substance cant be good for you. I'm amazed that anyone would try something like that. Exposure to petroleum and or chemicals is suspect on why Desert storm troops are getting Lou Gehrig's.

Get your wife a pair of Sorel's good for -40f. Once your feet get cold your history.

http://www.sorel.com/

Have a safe trip!
              Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Brad-- I was in CA from the 19th-26th.... during the cold spell. I was soooo hoping for nice warm southern CA weather, but we still had a nice time.

I agree with Ed about the feet. There's nothing worse than frozen feet...

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Susie and Brad...I ended up with 4 ft of snow during that little storm in Southern California. We got 2 ft on the 15th alone! Of course we are at 7000 ft. elevation. I'm still trying to get my back deck cleared off for the dogs.

PS...Wool Socks are a godsend! Cabela's has decent merino ragg wool socks for around $10 a pair. Look them up online.
                  Last edited by Geish; 12-29-2008, 09:28 AM.
                  Geish
                  47 years old, dx at 13
                  +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
                  Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
                  http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
                  http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

susie bee & flowerpower,

I also have family in Escondido, how exciting!
                    Adrienne
                    1991 T4 - T12 Fusion
                    1993 Rod Removal
                    1999 T4-L4 Fusion (7 rib thoracoplasty)
                    2002 Rod Removal 58;49 degrees
                    Denver, CO; Dr. John Odom
                    Rocky Mtn. Spine Center

Comment

What fun! Yes, I'm sure we passed by your house, Renee. It was pouring down rain when we were there... We arrived the night of the 21st, spent part of the next day there, had a nice lunch at Chin's and then headed out. Are you familiar with Dr. Bronner's soaps? They are family. We toured the factory after spending the night with my husband's aunt and visiting with her family. Had a wonderful time there.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

A quick update while out here on vacation...

First off my wife forgot her heavy jacket.
                        People in the Calgary airport had a number of laughs because it was going to be my wife's first time in Winterpeg and they thought it was funny that a californian would go there in the winter.
                        When we landed it was -29C. (-10-ish F)
                        My mother brought an extra jacket to get her to the car ok. Her first words outside the airport were: 'WOW, oh WOW!'
                        We went to the mall to get my wife a winter jacket (50% off!) and had a nice A&W teenburger. Boy do we miss those!!
                        She is actually getting used to the cold very quickly, and is now calling it 'bracing'.
                        Its been a lot of fun and very nice to see family again, even though we miss our puppies.

Happy new years everyone! May we all be pain free in the new year!

Brad
                        2 Harrington rods
                        Luque method used
                        Dr David Bradford
                        Postop xray

Comment

Working...
                        X