Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

January, February, March 2009 surgeries...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That sounds great, Debbe! You'd be the perfect one-- "been there, done that" type thing in the same area. Looking forward to hearing from you sometime hopefully on the 20th.
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Thanks Debbe and Susie!
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I am having a posterior fusion @ L2-L4, osteotomy @L3 and rod removal and reinstrumentation on February 5th, 2009 at Georgetown University Hospital in Washington, DC by Dr. William Lauerman.
        Brandi
        Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
        Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
        L1-S1
        Dr. William Lauerman
        Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
        Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
        http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Good luck Brandi!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Brandi, your surgery plans sound a little like what I had done.

I know it's still a while off for you, but best of wishes with it all.

Be well.

Comment

Thanks!

Discombulated, I'd be interested in knowing what your experience was like. Did you post it on the forum? How long were you in the hospital? How does this recovery compare to that of your initial surgery?
              Brandi
              Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
              Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
              L1-S1
              Dr. William Lauerman
              Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
              Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
              http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

New here

Hi--I guess you can add me to the list. I've been reading the many helpful posts here for a few months and decided it was time to jump in. I will be having surgery T3-Pelvis with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis on March 30, 2008. Thanks for all the helpful information you all provide. Janet
                Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Hi Doodles/Janet! Welcome! Glad to have you as a poster now. I'll get you added to this right now. March will be here soon-- and with it, a little relief from this frigid weather some of us are having! Brrrrr! It's supposed to be something like -25º with the windchill factor tomorrow morning.
                  71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                  2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                  5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                  Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                  CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                  10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Welcome Janet! Glad you joined us (well, wish you didn't have a reason too but.......) Welcome aboard!
                    Nancy Joy

Surgery- Posterior- Oct. 8th, 2008
                    Anterior- Nov. 10th, 2008
                    Age 54
                    T10 to Sacrum
                    Curve 65 degrees
                    Very straight now!!!

Comment

Welcome from me too Janet. This is a great place to come for advice and support.
                      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Welcome Janet! Without this forum I would have been in the nuthouse before surgery! I will never, ever forget these people, the support they gave me was very special.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Welcome aboard, Janet - though of course, I wish we were meeting under better circumstances

----

Brandi - my journey this time around has indeed been recorded on the forum...I will update a little tonight if I can stay awake long enough But if it helps, you can find the thread here.

Of course every surgery & every surgeon is different in approach, but I've honestly found this surgery to be MUCH easier than my first 2 times - a massive surprise to me since it was a much more complex, longer surgery, & I had a few minor complications. I don't really know why it should have been so much easier, but with only a couple of notable exceptions, I definitely had such better pain control this time around. My greatest pain was "nerve pains", where nerves seemed to almost constantly misfire, causing severe cramping in my legs. This was due to swelling & inflammation around areas of the spinal cord where my surgeon performed the 2 vertebral osteotomies (cut out a wedge of bone from each of 2 vertebrae to get better correction). I believe the osteotomy/ies aren't too commonly done, & once the meds were tweaked to get them under control, I have since had a much easier recovery.

Please do remember, though (esp. if you read through that thread), that my experiences (esp. complications) have been very much affected by my previous medical conditions. I'm sure your surgery will go great guns & I hope its outcomes for you are as successful as they have been for me If you think I can be of use, please feel free to drop me a PM.

Best wishes.

Comment

Sneaking over from the under 18 board....

Susie said I could. LOL!!!

My DD is having surgery March 9 at Shriner's in Chicago.

I have no idea from where to where -- basically top of her back to "not quite at to the bottom". I know bad mom...it's just I keep forgetting all the jargon. It's basically in my signature but that was her top curve. Her bottom curve actually got to over 50 degrees so they are fusing both curves. Hence, I don't know just how far down.

I know it will be a posterior fusion and she is to be in the hospital 4 or 5 days depending on how things go.

I certainly HOPE it's warmer in March....they called off school today due to the cold and that's a rarity here.
                            Becky
                            Mom to DD (15) with S 48*+ curve
                            Had her surgery March 9, 2009

Comment

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

You guys are so nice and welcoming. I've been lurking for so long I almost forgot I was now a "poster" and could check to see what everyone had to say. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions as time goes on. It's great to read all of this from the people who get it! Janet
                              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Originally posted by bbest View Post
                                I am having a posterior fusion @ L2-L4, osteotomy @L3 and rod removal and reinstrumentation on February 5th, 2009 at Georgetown University Hospital in Washington, DC by Dr. William Lauerman.
                                I saw your post and want to let you know that I've heard nothing but good things about Dr. Lauerman.

We decided to use him to follow my dd's case (she's 15) and we live 3 hours away from DC.

I am confident that you will be in excellent hands!

Take care,
                                Marian

Comment

Working...
                                X