Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone interested in going to Schroth Clinic in Germany?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm convinced that Dr. Weiss' program has exceptional value, having observed
    overviews of similar programs at the SOSORT symposium in 2007 (and briefly observing my daughter's treatment in WI) . Schroth makes scientific sense to me because it incorporates distraction (to combat gravity), derotation forces (external-exercise, internal-breathing), and stabilization exercises. Dr. Weiss' clinic uses Cheneau bracing which makes scientific sense - how can other braces compare when they don't allow for improvement, only maintenance (i.e. there are holes in the Cheneau braces to allow for change in the desired direction). Additionally, Dr. Weiss' website suggests that it uses the gifts of other health professionals: osteopaths, etc., to expedite the goals of the program. As a P.T. I know how nearly impossible it is to gently massage or stretch a stiff T-spine into a new direction.The program is lengthy enough that behaviors are changed - didn't I learn in P.T. school that it takes 6000 repetitions to change a behavior pattern? Something like that. Anyway, I'm tentatively enrolled in the 9/09 certification program and can hardly wait to see how it all works together. Though I understand the criticism I read here about the absence of "controls" in Dr. Weiss' studies...maybe he really believes that he should "do no harm" - and in sacrificing any part of the program, he will likely harm the very children he should be helping. I have
    nothing against surgery. Thank heavens it's an available, and progressively
    less invasive/reliable option for so many. I have written here before that I
    had hoped my daughter would have decided to have Dr. Betz's minimally invasive plan. She didn't and maybe in the end her decision will be a best one. Schroth works for now. Maybe an even better surgical option will exist
    if she requires one in the future. Sorry for the rant. We are just so lucky to have excellent surgical and conservative options at this time.

Comment

I recently brought Schroth to the attention of Quackwatch. You can see the comments of their consultant here...

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8179

I'll be checking the Quackwatch site to see if they start listing Schroth and post here if they do.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Please share what you learn from Quackwatch this year. I'd be interested.
        An aside...The P.T. I sit next to at work,"Claudia", is German and in her 30's, was diagnosed with scoliosis as a girl, had conservative treatment as do many Germans - has no visible scoliosis. Doesn't remember her early curve numbers. Maybe it wasn't true scoliosis at all, maybe it was a type that never would have progressed. Who knows. Anyway, she doesn't even question the usefulness of a comprehensive program of bracing, Schroth exercise, body mechanics education, and whatever else is included for select children and adults. She agrees that it's not for everyone, but should be an option for some.

Comment

Checked with Schroth clinic in Germany. They need a minimum of 8-10 English speaking people in order to conduct a class in English. And I assume that means people with the same type of curve. (I've got the typical thoracic (rt) -lumbar (l) double curve). So far I have received interest from 2 other people. So I'm looking for at least 5 more. The advantage to Germany vs. states is the 4-wk vs. 1 wk for roughly the same cost. As has been mentioned by others, it takes a lot of retraining to teach your body a new way of doing something. Also that the German clinic has the history and experience. In addition, in Germany accomodations are included with other treatments available on-site.

There is legitimate reason for skepticism based on lack of independent research. However there is also ample anecdotal evidence that Schroth has been helpful from people I have communicated with. And the book on Scroth has some dramatic photos and x-rays that show it has made a difference even for people with drastic deformities.

In any case, the worst that can happen is to blow $5,000 - a serious concern, but worth the gamble for the possibility of improved health and quality of life. And far less than the the cost for surgery. Both financially - and in potential for harm and lifelong complications. For me it's worth trying. Even those in the medical field, such as a nurse who wrote on the forum recently, it is acknowledged that this is a major surgery with all the risks that entails and should be avoided if at all possible.

Anyone else interested in going so we reach the magical number of 8-10?

Laurie
          317 637-6242

Comment

Why go to Europe?

Originally posted by lauriek View Post
            Checked with Schroth clinic in Germany. They need a minimum of 8-10 English speaking people in order to conduct a class in English.
            Anyone else interested in going so we reach the magical number of 8-10?
            Are you aware there are Schroth providers who trained in Germany and Spain who practice in the US?
            http://www.schroth-skoliosebehandlun...peuten_eng.pdf
            I personally do work with Milwaukee-based Spinal Dynamics of Wisconsin - www.sdwpt.com and can wholeheartedly recommend them. Other providers kisted at:
            http://www.schroth-skoliosebehandlun...peuten_eng.pdf

Schroth literature at:
            http://www.schrothmethod.com/studies.html

Schroth may not be for everyone - and there may be no double blind studies. Yet some may want to pursue this option instead of "wait and see" or prior to making a decision about surgery

Comment

thanks for contacts mentioned. yes i am aware of u.s. practitioners. but i don't know of any that provide the 4 week minimum, especially at the price of $4,500 that includes accomodations. and i do believe it is important to have that type of time frame and repetition in order to be effective, based in part on the feedback i've gotten from people who have gone to the shorter treatments here in the u.s. many say it was helpful, but that for various reasons they did not keep up what they had learned. maybe the same would be true for the longer term treatment. but as a physical therapist mentioned in another thread, a basic rule for pt is that repetition is an important part of effective treatment.

Comment

schroth experience

Originally posted by bas2101 View Post
                Hi LaurieK,

If you are interested in our experience with Schroth, you can PM me.

brooke
                HI Brooke, Im new to this.
                I am a mother of an 11yr old girl with a 48degree top curve and 35degree lower curve, living in Australia. My daughter was wearing a hard brace, 23hr day for almost 3 years and we are now told its not working and she requires surgery.

I am exploring all options for us and have come accross the Schroth method. I would genuinley appriciate you sharing with me your experiences with the Schroth treatment.
                tg

Comment

I recently heard about a physiotherapist in Toowoomba who learned Schroth therapy in Germany over 20 years ago and uses it in her practice.

Comment

Feedback about Schroth clinic in Germany

Hi,

I'm new here to this forum. A scoliosis sufferer. I live in Europe and was wondering if lauriek or others eventually made the trip to Germany? Any feedback would be gratefully received.

If none has made the visit, I intend to do an exploratory one to really understand what happens there.

Jeanne
                    56 years

Comment

Working...
                    X