• Show
Clear All

• Adult Surgeons in Boston

I am fairly new to the group. 53 years old with
    a bad S curve. Haven't had a doctor look at this
    in years but REALLY need to. I am looking for
    recommendations for a surgeon in the Boston
    area. Thanks, Sara

I don't live in boston but i am going to see dr. rand in a couple of weeks. he has a good reputation which is why i am coming from philadelphia to boston.
    avis
    1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
    2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
    2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
    Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Hi Sara,

Dr. Rand did my surgery and I am very happy with the result. Mine was a lumbar curve and because of my age, Dr. Rand was not able to get a great correction for me, but was able to make most of the pain go away. Dr Rand is very nice, thorough and very attentive. He is also very experienced as he does two or three major back surgeries a week, his specialties being adult scoliosis and the aging spine. He is at the New England Baptist Hospital. It does take some time to get an appointment with him, but just be persistent. If you have other questions about him, you can PM me. Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I had a great experience with Dr. Kirkham Wood, Head of the Spine Service at Mass. General Hospital and highly recommend him and his staff.
        2000 34*L/39*T
        2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
        (initially planned T4-L1)
        12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

Dr. Paul Glazer at the Beth Isreal Deaconess Med. Ctr. I highly recommended him.

Comment

Hi Sara,

Like Sally (Loves to Skate), I can whole heartedly recommend Dr. Frank Rand at New England Baptist. Choosing a surgeon is an important step. Boston has lots of surgical options. Take advantage of all the available talent and get as many opinions as you need to be 100% comfortable with your decision. I saw Dr. Rand as a second opinion and knew right away he was the right one for me. Good luck!

Linda W.
            Linda
            Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
            S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
            Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
            Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Boston Surgeons

Thank you everyone for your replies. On the Yahoo Scoliosis supoort I had received one good recommendation on Dr. Glazer and one good - one bad on Dr. Rand. I think I will try to get appts. with both.
              Can any of you tell me how old you were at time of surgery and what your recovery was like? Lot of pain? Did you need help at home?
              Is it something for which I could take 3 months off from work or would I not be able to work at all?
              Thank you again for the help. Sara
              Boy - being three inches taller sounds awesome!

Comment

Working...
              X