Wanted: Success Stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: Success Stories

Hi everyone! First of all, I have to say I think this website is A-W-E-S-O-M-E! My physical therapist told me about it last week and I have been on it everyday this week reading all of your posts; it has really calmed my nerves a lot about having surgery in the upcoming year. So thank you to everyone for that!
    Does anyone on here have any success surgery stories that occurred at or around age 28 to share with me? I have a 64 degree cervical-thoracic curve and a 56 degree thoracic-lumbar curve. My spine doctor wants to do surgery within the next year, but the thought of such an invasive surgery scares me to death and gives me the highest anxiety.
    If anyone could give me some success stories, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks so much!

Originally posted by huskymom View Post
    Does anyone on here have any success surgery stories that occurred at or around age 28 to share with me?
    Huskymom, I was 39 when I had my surgery (2/5/2008), but if that's not too old for you, I have PLENTY of success stories. Let me know if you'd like to hear how someone 11 years older than you fared ... and the tricks and prep work I learned that wasn't covered anywhere else for someone MY age. What you'll find on the 'net (and from links here) will most likely not apply to you. You're 28 ... not 58.

You'll see from my sig I walked a 5K at 33 days post op ... and I also recovered entirely solo ... from the first day home - morning of Day 6 post op.

Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Regards,
    Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

Thanks Pam for getting back to me. I would love to hear your story. I'm getting nervous about having surgery, but I know it has to be done soon. How did you mentally prep yourself for it? I guess my biggest fear is not being able to be as active after surgery as I am now. I work out a lot, am always outside doing something, and am a bedside nurse on 27 bed unit that works around 48 hrs a week. I love to stay busy and I am just so afraid this surgery is really going to slow me down in life.
      What was your curve before surgery? And what is it now?
      Thanks again for all your time!! -Melissa

Comment

Dear HuskyMom,

Two years ago, at the age of 26 I had a thoracic curve 47 degrees, and lumbar curve 54 degrees. I went to see Dr. Woggon at Clear Institute for alternative treatment involving specific chriopractic adjustments and specific exercises and treatments. Long story short, two years later, after two trips to CLEAR, and other treatments from another CLEAR chiropractor, and spending two hours a day everyday on at-home rehab and my life is changed. My last X-ray was 20T and 35 L this past spring. I still have a long way to go myself, but I'm not in constant pain and discomfort anymore and am headed in the right direction. I wanted to offer you hope of nonsurgical, "real" correction, if you're willing to put forth the effort. For the first time in many years I have hope.

Comment

Hi! I am 21 years old and had surgery 5 months ago. I can't say that I took care of myself 6 days post op like Pam did, (my mom helped me out a LOT for about a good 4 weeks), but I feel great now. I just wrote a post about jogging for the first time afterwards, and I have written a lot of other posts too about my experience so feel free to search them or PM me with questions!

Abbie
          aBbiE
          22 yr old F,KU college student
          Kyphoscoliosis...
          Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
          Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
          I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
          Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
          all smiles!

Comment

I had my surgery at age 25 and went back to coaching gymnastics for many years. I did have to modify some of the lifting and spotting I attempted, and I could no longer demonstrate anything that required an arched or rounded back. I had two normal pregnancys and deliveries, although I opted for natural childbirth because I didn't want an anesthesiologist to have to deal with figuring out my back for an epidural. You should be fine, just be careful not to overdo. I suspect that my later-in-life pain might have something to do with overstressing the vertebrate that are not fused. I was very afraid of life changes like you are, but I am so, so glad I did the surgery. I'll pray that you will be too.

Comment

But will the results stay???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              A Work in Progres:
              Dear HuskyMom,

Two years ago, at the age of 26 I had a thoracic curve 47 degrees, and lumbar curve 54 degrees. I went to see Dr. Woggon at Clear Institute for alternative treatment involving specific chriopractic adjustments and specific exercises and treatments. Long story short, two years later, after two trips to CLEAR, and other treatments from another CLEAR chiropractor, and spending two hours a day everyday on at-home rehab and my life is changed. My last X-ray was 20T and 35 L this past spring. I still have a long way to go myself, but I'm not in constant pain and discomfort anymore and am headed in the right direction. I wanted to offer you hope of nonsurgical, "real" correction, if you're willing to put forth the effort. For the first time in many years I have hope.
              We have all heard of short term results from such treatments. None of us have seen long term permanent results from such treatments.

Also: Has someone else, outside the Clear Institute, measured your curves as a check???
              Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
              Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Originally posted by work_in_progres View Post
                Dear HuskyMom,

Two hours a day every day?

Do you intend to do this the rest of your life?

What happens if you get sick and can't do the exercises?

Can you post your before and present radiographs?
                Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

An older surgery person

I am now 57 years old- had surgery at the age of 16-have two Harrington Rods the full length of my back. I had a bone graft from my backside to my shoulder blade to even them out and a rib removed from my one lung. Back yars ago when I had mine done, I had to stay in bed for six months with a full body cast and then six months with a full back brace which could only be removed when lying down. The surgery now seems rather simple to mine. I work full time as a secretary, have two grown children and four grandchildren so I am very active. I have my motorcycle license and an thinking about trying out for my pilots licence.
                  My doctor in Toronto Ontario told me not to let scoliosis take over my life and I never have. The rods are there and there is nothing I can do about it so I live the way I want. I can't do somersaults and I don't ride horses but there is nothing I won't try. So I guess I am a success story

Comment

Working...
                  X